Your Guide to a Magic PC - Guide in First Post [2012/03/05]

Darkmatter

Insert Funny Here.
Last edited by a moderator:
What about something like this and a pair of black pantyhose:
https://www.amazon.com/Black-Steel-Filter-Grill-Diameter/dp/B0093Q7YO2

You should be able to just get a grill of some sort and add the mesh with some glue on the back side so it's not really visible. You could also easily replace the mesh when it gets overly dirty.

Although is there a reason these wouldn't work for you:
https://www.amazon.com/ThreeBulls-Cooler-Filter-Dustproof-Computer/dp/B0747KKFFZ

I'm not sure what makes the one you linked special.

Darkmatter

Insert Funny Here.
This is for someone not tech savvy and I've made up a system to allow for easy access to the filters for cleaning and I already have 1 80mm fan. I just need 1 more like the one in my link. I never checked Amazon.com since I'm in Canada. I'll take a look. It'll be faster then China and the duty won't be very much on a filter, if anything. Thanks.

Darkmatter

Insert Funny Here.
Hey all, I need some info.

I've been running a scan on my 8TB WD My Book and it has already been over 24h. It is on something like, free cluster 4bajillion out of 9.5bajillion and it has said "ETA 15h" since last night so I don't have my hopes up of this finishing any time soon. I also didn't know there was now a /perf option to speed up the scan.

Unfortunately Windows did a small update that broke my sound and I need to do a reboot and either re-install the drivers or roll back Windows but doing either will stop the scan. Can I force chkdsk to restart the scan on stage 5 at a certain cluster? It is 40% through the free space scan so I'd rather not lose all that time, not including the time checking the clusters that had files.

BTW I'm doing this because a fold full of 7zip files had a bunch of errors on the My Book but my backup on my HDD had 0 errors.

As another option, should I run a scan using WD software? I'm just making an assumption that they have such software available.

Thanks!

Xerxes

ONE FUCKING BOX
Yeah looking at this deal pretty hard.
Intel i7-8700K + Gigabyte Z370 AORUS Gaming 7 MB + $20 Newegg GC $447

Just think I need some RAM to go with it. But if its high it's high I guess. But I'm not sure what the price was before it was "high" :/

PathMaster

My life for Aiur!
Well the 16 GB (2x8GB) that I bought last May for $114 is now $173. And going a step further, the same set of ram that I purchased for PC in November of 2015 was $78.

So 2.5 years later and $100 more expensive.

That being said I was purchasing G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series, a great brand and model of ram for my gaming PC.

Darkmatter

Insert Funny Here.
You also might want to consider that DDR5 will hit the market by 2020, but not likely much before that. Right now companies are in the process of designing motherboards for the new ram. If you can hold out, you could get a MUCH faster computer although the price of DDR5 when it first comes out will probably be stupid high. Also you may want to wait a few months after the first boards hit the market. Version 1 of the first boards that hit the market for a new tech often have bugs or limitations that may or may not be fixable with a BIOS update. The other option for waiting is that DDR 4 will probably drop quite a bit once DDR5 comes out.

I generally like to let the early adopters test out the products for bugs for me. :)

Darkmatter

Insert Funny Here.
Maybe. Depends on whats availible in 2020, 2019 if we're lucky. My current machine is only 3 1/2 years old. I think I got it either just before DDR4 came out or it had come out recently and the prices for stock speed ram was stupid compared to the then cheap DDR3. I actually intended this to be a stopgap upgrade before a real upgrade around now but with DDR5 only 2 years away and me not having any issue playing anything I don't see a reason not to wait.

Darkmatter

Insert Funny Here.
Should my PC be able to run a 2160p movie? I thought I watched one before without issue. I just tried with another and its stutter garbled garbage. I tried MPC-HC, MPC-HCx64, and VLC Player.

Also, strangely enough Asus AI Suite III OC'd my system to 4.5GHz before I did a clean (full wipe) install and now I have to tell it to use a ratio of 40 just to get it 4.0GHz. I tried 44 which is what it was before the reinstall and I instantly got a BSOD.
I'm running,

Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4690K CPU 3.5GHz OC to 4GHz
2 x 8GB Corsair PC3-10700 @ XMP 1600 (9.0-9-9-24-41-2T)
Motherboard is an Asus Z97M-PLUS (Firmware up to date)
Video Card is a Asus ROG GeForce GTX 1070
Sound Card is an Asus Strix SOAR

Thanks

You really should have no problems playing 4k video with that setup, but I don't have any experience with 4k. Are you playing this locally or trying to stream it from this machine to another? Have you done any tests on your HDD to make sure it's running in tip-top shape? Maybe it just can't load the data fast enough from your HDD. Have you tried other 4k video files? Maybe it's an issue with that video itself, but I think you're biggest potential roadblock is the storage medium.

The 1070 should easily be able to easily playback 8k video.

I have that monitor and I really enjoy it. It is a bit older tech wise and isn't an IPS panel so you won't has as vibrant of colors. It also doesn't do HDR or 4k, but honestly 4k gaming is not sustainable IMO unless you are willing to shell out even more for a rig to play games at that res.

I got it for about $800 Canadian. That link won't show me the price, but I believe it was going for around $599 USD when I bought it.

The stand is decent, it's VESA mount ready, and has Dell build quality. I do find the OSD buttons a bit difficult to use though since they are kind of tucked into the bottom bezel of the monitor, but it helps make it look very clean.

Top Bottom