Yanny or Laurel?

Yanny or Laurel

• Total voters

TheKeck

FORTY POSTS PER PAGE!
There is no Laurel, only Yanny.
It's so very clearly Laurel. I'm baffled by you yannites.

EDIT:

Keck, we're just not on the same page lately. What's happening to us?
Someday love will find you
Break those chains that bind you
One night will remind you
How we touched
And went our separate ways
Wtf? Can I have some context?
It's like the white/gold vs blue/black dress. People hear different things in that sound bite. And it's gone all viral.

jpublic

Threadslayer
Both. I first heard Yanny, but when I switched ears I heard Laurel. Which fits, because I have a tendency for tinnitus in one ear so I don't hear low tones as well with it.

Funny thing, I left it running for a couple minutes and now all I hear is Laurel.

TheKeck

FORTY POSTS PER PAGE!
It's actually a funny thing where the very first half of the first word sometimes comes out as "Yan" for me, but then it switches hard to Laurel as long as I continue listening.

jpublic

Threadslayer
The problem is, it really depends on your playback device, your speakers, your mental 'priming', and your own hearing quality.

The original recording is crappy, so the false 'Yanny" comes through, but analysis shows that it is just distortion caused by the bad recording fidelity.

TheKeck

FORTY POSTS PER PAGE!

It's a phone recording of the word Laurel being pronounced at vocabulary.com. There is some high pitched garbage in the sound bite that is emphasized by the bad recording quality. The fact that so many people's ears/brains pick up on the distortion and try to parse it as a word rather than the actual Laurel that is so clearly being said is remarkable. :D

Young Al Capone

Part of the problem
I hear Yanny super clearly. Weird.

Our senses cannot be trusted, not a one of us sees the world without distorting it with our perspectives. At least my theory is mostly confirmed; everyone is an idiot. The real trick is in realizing it and compensating. :p

Wolvie

AKA JayBob
It's strange. At first I clearly heard Yanny. Now I'm hearing Laurel What is wrong with my brain!?

Also when it's slowed down, I hear Yanny agian. Strange as fuck.

Ink Asylum

The cavalry's here!
The only time I've heard Yanny is when it was played through my shitty phone speaker with a slider amped all the way up to Yanny. Any other way and I hear Laurel.

TheKeck

FORTY POSTS PER PAGE!
The only time I've heard Yanny is when it was played through my shitty phone speaker with a slider amped all the way up to Yanny. Any other way and I hear Laurel.
Did you slowly move the slider back again? I've found that I can "hold on" to the yanny a bit once my brain's switched over to it.

Young Al Capone

Part of the problem
Really weird. If I push it to either extreme, when I recenter it I hear the opposite name super clearly. It started as Yanny, I pushed it all the way to Laurel and could only hear Laurel until I recentered and it was clearly Yanny again. Then all the way to Yanny and when I recentered it was clearly Laurel.

It reminds me of optical illusions, and the way you can make them fall into or pop out of the page depending on how you look at them.

Top Bottom