What's new in CoG 2.0/what is different?

Mot Wakorb

47 Friendly Fires
Welcome to CoG 2.0! We've decided to go in a new direction in regards to the backend software (XenForo) and try to move forward for security reasons. There are some compromises we had to make, but this should give a good overview of things that have changed.

What's New:
  • Now backended by XenForo 2.0.2 from vBulletin 3.8.7
  • Trophies and Likes! (Sorry, had to.)
  • Responsive design - no more Tapatalk, just point your mobile browser here and you'll get a full site!
  • No more coinhive.js!
  • Much more feature-rich site in general, HTML 5.0/CSS Enabled
  • Speed!
  • Alerts - allows you to see when you've been quoted/when you message/etc.
  • More media sites. BB Code has changed to do media. In the editor, if you look at the ellipsis button (...), you'll see "Media" as an option. Roughly 126 sites can have media embedded here
  • Embedded share buttons in all pages
  • Links in your signatures
  • More powerful global search
  • Announcements - you may have noticed the announcement at the top of the site when you connect. That's a "nice to have" feature
  • Two-factor authentication! You can turn this on - uses Google Authenticator/Authy/whatever Authenticator you prefer!
Features Lost on Migration:
  • News (for now... working on that.)
  • Graphics - learning CSS is a slow process, we'll get the graphics back.
  • Ads (not coming back either, I'm sure everyone is heartbroken)
Future Features:
  • Discord integration - we've got a Discord channel and love that people can see what's going on.
  • News - the news frontend is being tested, it will definitely look different.
  • Graphics/styling - get back to some more graphics for the site.

Want to see something else get added? Add a new thread with [FEATURE] in the Maintenance Bay.

Having issues? Add a new thread with [BUG] in the Maintenance Bay.

MagGnome

Le nain de jardin
The new layout and features will take a little getting used to, but nice work Mot! Thanks for all you do!

Edit - Oh this is really slick. I like it. :)

Dunno why, I'm missing Tapatalk. I think, even before TTP, it was the forum software I knew for so long. But I know that's an extremely minority's opinion. Not complaining, just yearning. Thanks for everything!

muddi900

Blasphemous Outlaw Ranger
Man this dark theme is too dark.

Otherwise, lit fam swoll totes tidepod fuck the NRA, or whatever the young people say.

Purple Santa

(keeper of the day and end)
If muddi liked something, the apocalypse would occur. The current President of the U.S. is close but not quite on par with muddi liking something.

johnperkins21

Custom title
I don't see a way to turn off Avatars, so I guess I should go ahead and upload mine. Am I the only one who always turns those off whenever I join a forum?

TheKeck

FORTY POSTS PER PAGE!
I keep them on. And then really begin to associate people with them.

You could pull a pretty good prank on me by swapping people's avatars between each other...

johnperkins21

Custom title
I keep avatars on, but for the most part I look for the username first and the avatar second.
I've never used the avatars, so I have no idea whose is whose. I've had to rely solely on usernames. Although without being able to turn them off I guess I'll start to get used to them.

MagGnome

Le nain de jardin
I've never used the avatars, so I have no idea whose is whose. I've had to rely solely on usernames. Although without being able to turn them off I guess I'll start to get used to them.
I think avatars are fun, and here on the new site they also show who is online (via a green triangle in the upper left), so that's neat.

maharahaj

Humanity is the Devil
Not really. The old site had a little triangle button at each thread's # of pages listing that would automatically jump you to the first new post in that particular thread that you hadn't read (basically, it remembered the last post that existed that was viewable on your screen).

TheKeck

FORTY POSTS PER PAGE!
I'm following a bunch of people. I assume it refers to people who were your "friends" in the old system.

Edit: Although, man, my list is seriously long. Was there some time where people were adding friends like crazy? Or is it something else entirely?

Young Al Capone

Part of the problem
My list was like 6 people at the old site. This looks like it might be every member..?

EDIT: Definitely not every member, but I am not sure that these were friends form the old site either. I have one member on both my friends list and my ignore list, I am not saying I didn't do that myself for certain, but it is weird.

Last edited:

Young Al Capone

Part of the problem
Seriously? Looks like I have 46 people.
Just added this edit to my old post; Definitely not every member, but I am not sure that these were friends form the old site either. I have one member on both my friends list and my ignore list, I am not saying I didn't do that myself for certain, but it is weird.

I had just glanced at it and saw tons of inactive members so I assumed. Not too sure how many are actually on there.

First time back here in awhile and talk about 'wtf happened here?' wasn't keen on it when it loaded. time will tell.

MagGnome

Le nain de jardin
I'm following a bunch of people. I assume it refers to people who were your "friends" in the old system.

Edit: Although, man, my list is seriously long. Was there some time where people were adding friends like crazy? Or is it something else entirely?
I had "friends" on the old site, but I'm not following anyone here, so it can't be that. Weird...

Top Bottom