Whatcha watchin'?

That surprises me, given that the book is much slower paced than the show. I loved the book too, and you should give the show another chance. I do recall the first episode or two being rather slow paced, but it picks up speed and the last episode in particular is very exciting. I like that they build everything up steadily rather than going at full speed the whole time like a Hollywood movie. The characters are so complex and they do them justice, IMHO.
I feel like the book had a lot of depth, personality, character even in the slow bits. I'll give it another try once I'm through with Downton, which (spoilered though I don't know if it's necessary for such an old show):

Had me seriously tearing up at the gym with Sybil's death (just watched that episode this morning). Yowza. I didn't think I cared that much for her.

MagGnome

Le nain de jardin
I feel like the book had a lot of depth, personality, character even in the slow bits. I'll give it another try once I'm through with Downton, which (spoilered though I don't know if it's necessary for such an old show):
The book does have all those things, but thankfully the show does as well, just delivered in a different way given the medium. I want to reread the book soon, although that's a rather daunting task. I'm going to pick up the short story collection as well that takes place in the same universe.

As for Downton, I watched that scene with friends and we were all tearing up.

TheKeck

FORTY POSTS PER PAGE!
Watched the first 8 episodes of Arrested Development season 5. I... assume more are coming? It's been... fairly disappointing. A laugh here and there, though.

Dav Slinker

Oh, and hey, by the way
Been watching Paradise PD on Netflix. It's surprising that it's not made by the same crew as Brickleberry as it's very clearly chomping their flavor.

I'm puzzled by the inclusion of lots of new animated shows with a single talking animal character that's usually given some exaggerated negative personality traits.

I get it, family guy did it. But now, it's like... What are they trying to accomplish? Is it a subversion of the trope? It doesn't feel like it. So far it hasn't opened up any new jokes or story. All the jokes about sex, drug use, etc. Are all also being used by human members of the cast. If you have a talking dog I feel like if you could turn it into a human and not have to change any of the plot in a substantive way as a result, you have to rethink the necessity of the device.

Meh, I'm probably expecting too much. It's a background noise show anyways.

TheKeck

FORTY POSTS PER PAGE!
and yet you were talking about watching a tv show?
On Netflix. ;)
I'm just a rube with a digital antenna. I'm sure civil could explain all about not having a tv. :p
I used to get over the air with the SNES plugged in to the coax input. Haven't been able to get it to work with our new TV. Haven't cared enough to buy an actual antenna and try to figure it out. /shrug

muddi900

Blasphemous Outlaw Ranger
and yet you were talking about watching a tv show?

I'm just a rube with a digital antenna. I'm sure civil could explain all about not having a tv. :p
That is one hell of a call back.

On Netflix. ;)

I used to get over the air with the SNES plugged in to the coax input. Haven't been able to get it to work with our new TV. Haven't cared enough to buy an actual antenna and try to figure it out. /shrug
I bought one for 15 bucks, but Amazon had it for 14, so Fry's matched the price.

It was really useful during Harvey.

TheKeck

FORTY POSTS PER PAGE!
So, does it just plug in to the TV and then stay in the same room, like old fashioned rabbit ears? Maybe I should quit being a lump and get one.

That is one hell of a call back.
The callest of backs!

So after finishing Downton (loved, not sold on the movie), the Crown (so so), and The Staircase (fascinating) I am in need of another show to watch at the gym. I thought about the Jack Ryan series on Amazon, but the trailer seemed off. Might try Shooter, might try Taken (looks bad though).

I'm in the mood for propulsive action after so much slow pacing. Any recs? Should be about 45–60 minutes per episode, and not have gratuitous nudity (it's the gym!).

Dav Slinker

Oh, and hey, by the way
The callest of backs!

So after finishing Downton (loved, not sold on the movie), the Crown (so so), and The Staircase (fascinating) I am in need of another show to watch at the gym. I thought about the Jack Ryan series on Amazon, but the trailer seemed off. Might try Shooter, might try Taken (looks bad though).

I'm in the mood for propulsive action after so much slow pacing. Any recs? Should be about 45–60 minutes per episode, and not have gratuitous nudity (it's the gym!).
My default recommendation is always to watch Scrubs. This is true in relationship discussions, legal disputes, or general malaise.

As for action, my parents swear by 24. But then they haven't seen Scrubs.

muddi900

Blasphemous Outlaw Ranger
The callest of backs!

Person Of Interest.

@civil_dead have you thought about trying Doctor Who? :p;)
I'm seriously thinking of subscribing to BBC or whatever the new run will be on. I'm in withdrawal.

@Dav Slinker I can't. That show is forever tied to a broken heart of mine. How she loved that show. Plus, it's regular TV. I can't deal with that many shows per season. I need me a good 10-13 episode run. Dunno why. There's a lot of stuff on Netflix that I pass because of it (to my loss, I'm sure).

@muddi900 Is that regular TV?

johnperkins21

Custom title
So, does it just plug in to the TV and then stay in the same room, like old fashioned rabbit ears? Maybe I should quit being a lump and get one.
Yes. You can get a cheap digital antenna that will pick up your local stations from inside your house. Newest ones are flat pieces that hang on your wall, but you can still get the little towers that you set on a shelf somewhere. A lot depends on how far away you are from your broadcast towers and whether or not you have clear line of sight. If it's good enough you can use a paperclip (not a joke) to pick up the channels.

I never watched Parks and Rec when it first came out so I recently started watching it on Amazon Prime. Damn this is a good show. No idea why I skipped it originally.

We've also been watching American Gods recently. My wife thinks it's ridiculous, but I'm enjoying it. I don't remember the book all that well, but it does seem like it's more inspired by the book and following along the main story arc, than a direct re-telling. It's very surreal with some excellent acting and characters. The leprechaun is particularly great. Reminds me of Cassidy from Preacher, who is also a fantastic character.

TheKeck

FORTY POSTS PER PAGE!
Yes. You can get a cheap digital antenna that will pick up your local stations from inside your house. Newest ones are flat pieces that hang on your wall, but you can still get the little towers that you set on a shelf somewhere. A lot depends on how far away you are from your broadcast towers and whether or not you have clear line of sight. If it's good enough you can use a paperclip (not a joke) to pick up the channels.
I've used a twist-tie before. And as I mentioned before, the cord of the SNES was getting the job done before we got our new TV. The fact that it doesn't work at all with the new TV made me think there's been some sort of change with the technology since the paper clip days.

johnperkins21

Custom title
I've used a twist-tie before. And as I mentioned before, the cord of the SNES was getting the job done before we got our new TV. The fact that it doesn't work at all with the new TV made me think there's been some sort of change with the technology since the paper clip days.
That's a possibility. Other than the demise of analog OTA TV, I'm not aware of a major change. As long as you have a digital tuner, you should still be able to just snag the signal out of the air. But I've had DirecTV with local channels for a very long time now, and haven't had to deal with OTA since well before the demise of analog. You could get a decent digital antenna for under $30 though. Hook that up to a Raspberry Pi with Kodi or something similar, and you've got a DVR for regular TV. For under $100 you get free access to tons of TV.

Ravenlock

Thx for the scarf, Sadie!
I can report that at least here in Pittsburgh, Digital OTA TV still works great, and that's how I watched Good Place Season Two as it finished up.

I'm in a bit of a dead zone so I don't get a ton of channels here and might end up buying an antenna with a signal booster, but there are 10-15 channels in the area that broadcast OTA in HD and it works fine.

The callest of backs!

PSA: the Jack Ryan show stinks.

rein

Colonist
I have been using OTA for about 10 years now. Even when I had satellite Dish did not get my locals in HD format so installed one when I moved into this house. Unfortunately for me I am about 40 miles from the towers. I lost PBS and CW a few years ago when a storm took out the towers. Not sure if they moved those or when the repaired them it weakened the signal. One thing that is exciting about OTA is the channel selection has been growing over the last few years as cord cutting has taken off.

In my quest for a new gym show I ditched Jack Ryan and slid into...Ascension. Man, what a perfect example of an amazing concept being torn to tatters by horrible writing and acting that looks like it belongs in a junior high play. Tempted to keep going to see if they do anything with the conceit, but cringing while working out is no good for the back.

Dav Slinker

Oh, and hey, by the way
I've watched the first two episodes of the new season of Iron Fist. Danny hasn't gotten any more likeable in the interim, that's for sure. Thinking I may just drop it. I dunno, maybe one more episode of grace period but it's rough going, so far.

In my quest for a new gym show I ditched Jack Ryan and slid into...Ascension. Man, what a perfect example of an amazing concept being torn to tatters by horrible writing and acting that looks like it belongs in a junior high play. Tempted to keep going to see if they do anything with the conceit, but cringing while working out is no good for the back.
You guys. You have to watch this show. It's so bad it's...so bad. But it is the best example I can think of off the top of my head of an amazing concept being destroyed by incredibly bad writing and acting. It's fascinating. I'm on episode 3 (of 6) and I'm sad it'll end.

rein

Colonist
I watched the first four episodes of The First on Hulu last night. I have not decided just how much I like it, or not. So far, it feels like a good prequal to lay the foundation for future seasons. I have the second half to get through this weekend. So much for DQXI.

Isn't it odd? We used to converse about episodes and base our like or dislike of a show a few episodes in. Now, I have not even decided how much a like a show and I am already halfway through it. Does bingeing lead to watching mediocre shows more so than live viewing does? It seems like it is easier to give shows a shot when you can go immediately to the next episode.

Edit- I finished up The First. A few episodes in and I realized that this is not a show about being on Mars or traveling to Mars. It is a show about getting to Mars. I found myself glued to the TV when the show was on but I can't figure out why. The acting was good but not the kind of acting that keeps me glued to the TV. The drama and character exploration was good, but again not good enough to keep me glued to the TV. The subject matter was great but I kept thinking I would rather be watching a space opera about traveling to Mars. Yet. there I was glued to the TV. I have a few issues with the writing but over all found it to be good.

I have not read reviews but I am going to assume right now the show is not going to do well in them. It has reasons that it could be considered a let down but damned if I did not enjoy it and stayed glued to the TV for each episode.

Last edited:
Work in advertising a lot, do ya?
Actually, I guess I kinda do. But please, watch this show!!!

@TheKeck: The Wire is perhaps the greatest show of all time (my love for Doctor Who notwithstanding). Enjoy it, if you make it through (I haven't seen it in a few years and don't remember if it dabbles much in things you find unwatchable).

Top Bottom