WeekDAY Gaming (09.10.18) - What are YOU still playing?

Gorvi

You're not my supervisor!
I always felt FFIX was the weakest of the 3 PS1 FFs. The aesthetic was great, but as a game it was subpar. That, and the card game was pathetic compared to what Triple Triad was in VIII.

VII and VIII are worth a replay in my opinion, especially if you never finished them. VIII has one insanely stupid plot portion, and junctioning can be exploited like crazy, but it's still good.

Gorvi

It's been a while since I've played a shorter indie game, so I started up Exile's End. I can't remember if it was a free PS Plus game or if I had bought it dirt cheap during some sale or something, but so far it's pretty good. It reminds me, in structure at least, of The Fall. The controls are much better, though, but the atmosphere is there. The music and sound design is really good, it's definitely a headphones game.

Purple Santa

keeper of the day and end
You guys are making me regret cancelling my Spider-Man PS4 bundle preorder. :p
I have a friend/co-worker who is harassing me that I didn't buy SM. He gave himself a reward since he passed his licensure test, now he won't shut up about the game.
It's been a while since I've played a shorter indie game, so I started up Exile's End. I can't remember if it was a free PS Plus game or if I had bought it dirt cheap during some sale or something, but so far it's pretty good. It reminds me, in structure at least, of The Fall. The controls are much better, though, but the atmosphere is there. The music and sound design is really good, it's definitely a headphones game.
I like the sound of that. I really want to play this now.

Dav Slinker

Oh, and hey, by the way
I always felt FFIX was the weakest of the 3 PS1 FFs. The aesthetic was great, but as a game it was subpar. That, and the card game was pathetic compared to what Triple Triad was in VIII.

VII and VIII are worth a replay in my opinion, especially if you never finished them. VIII has one insanely stupid plot portion, and junctioning can be exploited like crazy, but it's still good.
Ugh, the card game in FFIX was beyond stupid. Randomly assigned values within a range, the combo mechanic... Complete chaos. Thank goodness it was not only optional, but conferred no actual items or game advantages.

I think I know the section you're talking about in VIII. The one with all those kids and their weird parents?

Gorvi

Ugh, the card game in FFIX was beyond stupid. Randomly assigned values within a range, the combo mechanic... Complete chaos. Thank goodness it was not only optional, but conferred no actual items or game advantages.

I think I know the section you're talking about in VIII. The one with all those kids and their weird parents?
Yeah, that whole section was just really dumb. Otherwise I thought it had a pretty decent story for a JRPG, and such a great soundtrack.

Dav Slinker

Oh, and hey, by the way
Yeah, that whole section was just really dumb. Otherwise I thought it had a pretty decent story for a JRPG, and such a great soundtrack.
The soundtrack was great. I really liked the character designs, though more info on each of the societies would have been nice. It just didn't feel very fleshed out to me.

Mostly the last threw a bunch of new info and pseudo-philosophical stuff at you that I found underwhelming.

Dav Slinker

Oh, and hey, by the way
So you don't like FF games? They're all that way
They all have definite writing issues, but in, say, FFVII, you get lots of context as to how the world's logic works, and explanation of character ideology, with marked development, particularly of Sephiroth. I UNDERSTOOD why he did what he did, I just disagreed that he should do it. Kuja was just incomprehensible.

Like, I had so many questions the game just never answered. What was zidane's childhood like? Why did he become a thief? I think they mentioned Baku raised him or something? What about Vivi? How did he end up with a Qu surrogate grandfather? How did Zidane and Freya meet? They clearly trust one another. What the hell is Amarant's deal? He was a security guard? Nobody questions these things in-game vacated the characters understand it. I as the player do not, you gotta explain it to me. Given that we had a great unknowledgeable character in Vivi, they could have easily framed these questions as him asking. It felt like there was so much information I just wasn't privy to.

I can't remember why, but none of us could take it seriously when we tried to play like a decade ago.
We played two games last night (for three of us, we were just learning how to play). I had amazing powers for both games that had me annoying people regularly while also terrifying them just enough that they didn’t want to mess with me. It was great.

I’m not the biggest strategy guy but I loved the two games we played last night.

jpublic

Threadslayer
If argue with you about FFIX, but honestly it's been at least 10 years since my last playthrough and I don't remember it well enough. I recall I left it with a much more positive impression than I did VII or VIII. But then, I haven't played VII for 20 years+ because I have such a negative association with it, so I'm likely biased.

Gorvi

The soundtrack was great. I really liked the character designs, though more info on each of the societies would have been nice. It just didn't feel very fleshed out to me.

Mostly the last threw a bunch of new info and pseudo-philosophical stuff at you that I found underwhelming.
Yeah, VIII could have used a spin off expanding on the world a bit. I don't mind them leaving some mystery, but there was a lot there to build on.
They all have definite writing issues, but in, say, FFVII, you get lots of context as to how the world's logic works, and explanation of character ideology, with marked development, particularly of Sephiroth. I UNDERSTOOD why he did what he did, I just disagreed that he should do it. Kuja was just incomprehensible.

Like, I had so many questions the game just never answered. What was zidane's childhood like? Why did he become a thief? I think they mentioned Baku raised him or something? What about Vivi? How did he end up with a Qu surrogate grandfather? How did Zidane and Freya meet? They clearly trust one another. What the hell is Amarant's deal? He was a security guard? Nobody questions these things in-game vacated the characters understand it. I as the player do not, you gotta explain it to me. Given that we had a great unknowledgeable character in Vivi, they could have easily framed these questions as him asking. It felt like there was so much information I just wasn't privy to.
I think that was a lot of my problem with IX, it felt rushed. It's by far the shortest of the PS1 FF games, the characters really could have used more building and development. I mean, Amarant gets next to no development, it's like they needed a character, made a guy with dreads who "looked cool" and completely forgot to right anything about him. It has some cool moments (that Black Waltz airship chase and almost anything with Vivi) but there just wasn't enough of it. It put a bit too much stock in nostalgia for older FF tropes carrying it.
If argue with you about FFIX, but honestly it's been at least 10 years since my last playthrough and I don't remember it well enough. I recall I left it with a much more positive impression than I did VII or VIII. But then, I haven't played VII for 20 years+ because I have such a negative association with it, so I'm likely biased.
A lot of people felt that way about IX and it always confused me. I chalk it up a lot to the charming aesthetic.
VII gets a lot more hate these days than it deserves, I think because so many held it up as being the best RPG ever since it was a first for so many. It has it's issues, mostly stemming from its localization, but overall it's still damn good. They really need to put Crisis Core out on another modern platform, right now UMD on an original PSP (or emulation) is the only way you can play it and that game gives so much context to the events of VII and Sephiroth as a character. Hell, Cloud too.

The only games of FF I liked (that I tried) were FFX and FFXII. FFX made me actually tear up. There was also a super cool strategy one for the GB. I think it was just called FF Tactics. That made me buy a lot of similar games, like Ogre something, and eventually lead me to Advanced Wars and Fire Emblem. Amazing games for such a little system (I'm sure those games cover several generations).

Which is why, despite being already behind in my studies, I'm counting days until VC4 comes out.

Gorvi

The only games of FF I liked (that I tried) were FFX and FFXII. FFX made me actually tear up. There was also a super cool strategy one for the GB. I think it was just called FF Tactics. That made me buy a lot of similar games, like Ogre something, and eventually lead me to Advanced Wars and Fire Emblem. Amazing games for such a little system (I'm sure those games cover several generations).

Which is why, despite being already behind in my studies, I'm counting days until VC4 comes out.
FF Tactics on the GBA is a travesty compared to the original. It's not the ideal way to play it but there's a version of the original Final Fantasy Tactics (it's a port of the PSP remaster) for Android and iOS that works well enough that would be well worth your time. It's a far better game. Tactics Ogre on the GBA, though, was great and if you still have it is worth a decent bit of money. One of my few complete in box GBA games, along with those Advance Wars games, which were also really, really great.

Dav Slinker

Oh, and hey, by the way
Whoa now, let's be fair: final fantasy tactics advance was pretty impressive in a bunch of regards, graphically, technically, and length. It was a killer app on the gba. The judge system was definitely hit-or-miss, though. Miss, mostly, as it turned out. I do recall being okay with it at first but in later missions when it gave rules like "no using the 'attack' command" that served to screw you into insensibility when two of your five guys were physical attackers.

Nevertheless, I did love it.

Purple Santa

keeper of the day and end
Odd, I have heard people not liking FF VIII and liking VIX. Of course that info is old, when the games came out I remember reading those comments. Maybe in time that has changed.

FC4 says i'm 50% done with the entire game, which is counting side stuff and collecting. Mission wise, I am now one closer to the total 32, after tripping a mission that I had no intention of doing. I was out of my important arrows, no health packs and pretty much not much of anything that could be useful in a main mission. I suddenly am now in a chase to get to the main villain, which I thought odd since i'm not that close to the end. After the chase, I then now have to enter an area which seems like a bazillion soldiers are coming at me, I just say Keck it, i'll just make a mad dash where the symbol is showing where the bad guy is. I make it, kill him and...well the game isn't over. Won't spoil it for those who may play but those who have played, it is the truth and justice mission that I tripped by accident. After that, I then went back to working on freeing the various towers that are left. 3 more to go then they are all free!

Found out Shadow of the Tomb Raider has been delivered today. I thought it wouldn't reach me until Tuesday. Guess i'll play that tonight :)

FF Tactics on the GBA is a travesty compared to the original. It's not the ideal way to play it but there's a version of the original Final Fantasy Tactics (it's a port of the PSP remaster) for Android and iOS that works well enough that would be well worth your time. It's a far better game. Tactics Ogre on the GBA, though, was great and if you still have it is worth a decent bit of money. One of my few complete in box GBA games, along with those Advance Wars games, which were also really, really great.
Huh. I guess not playing any other version made me appreciate it on its own.

And yes, that was the name! Tactics Ogre. That was my first experience using eBay, and I did pay a pretty penny for it (I think over $60). I might have talked about it here or on EvAv, but that genre was crack to me. Wish I would have kept it, but I'm a buy and sell kind of game player. The only game I've kept is Witcher 3, because that is just my favorite of all the times.

Gorvi

Whoa now, let's be fair: final fantasy tactics advance was pretty impressive in a bunch of regards, graphically, technically, and length. It was a killer app on the gba. The judge system was definitely hit-or-miss, though. Miss, mostly, as it turned out. I do recall being okay with it at first but in later missions when it gave rules like "no using the 'attack' command" that served to screw you into insensibility when two of your five guys were physical attackers.

Nevertheless, I did love it.
Advance, for me, was a massive disappointment. You went from the deep medieval story of FFT to a weak story about children in a storybook that never really paid off to anything. The job system was messy and the judges really killed the flow of battles. I get what they were trying to do with forcing you to think in unconventional ways to overcome battles, but that just didn't work. FFT had it's own share of problems (the translation, brutal at times random battles, that fight where if you don't have two saves your're potentially screwed and have to start over), but it nailed it in a lot of other areas.

Tactics Ogre on the GBA is how to do that kind of game right. That is a classic.
Odd, I have heard people not liking FF VIII and liking VIX. Of course that info is old, when the games came out I remember reading those comments. Maybe in time that has changed.
VIII tends to be the black sheep that a lot of people didn't like, and IX is always held up as a return to form. Aesthetically IX was great, the art design and music were wonderful, but the story falls apart with underdeveloped characters and a rushed narrative. The gameplay is good, characters feel unique again for the first time since IV, but it's nothing special.
Huh. I guess not playing any other version made me appreciate it on its own.

And yes, that was the name! Tactics Ogre. That was my first experience using eBay, and I did pay a pretty penny for it (I think over $60). I might have talked about it here or on EvAv, but that genre was crack to me. Wish I would have kept it, but I'm a buy and sell kind of game player. The only game I've kept is Witcher 3, because that is just my favorite of all the times.
There's a series on the Switch that's getting a physical release in the next few weeks, Mercenaries Saga or something like that, you should check that out if you like that kind of game. They look really cool. Also God Wars just got a Switch port with extra content, another good modern strategy RPG.

Young Al Capone

Part of the problem
Katamari Damacy isn't a grab you by the balls sort of game, it is a grab a ball and relax kinda game. The first one was still the best of what I played, and the Switch will make an excellent platform for it.

Top Bottom