WeekDAY Gaming (07.09.18) - What are YOU still playing?

Purple Santa

keeper of the day and end
Golf Story and adding a few titles to the mix: South Park The Fractured but Whole and Just Cause 3. GS is my mobile game, SPtFbW is for some laughs and JC3 I really need to blow up stuff and cause some mayhem. I was tempted by Fallout 4 but thought that might make a better Fall/Winter game. I just am deciding if I want JC3 in disc form ($20) or digital ($30). I like the idea of digital since I won't have to switch discs with the South Park game. Also having a blast watching the gf play The Last of Us. Her running commentary on games she plays in general is funny, but something about The Last of Us has brought out the creative narration in her. I may steal her FC3 game and fool around with that although I have enough to play.

All the individuals are back from camp, the peace and quiet is over. Actually that ended yesterday when I received a frantic call from a parent about the home visit someone was on. My family is so used to outings/dinner being interrupted they don't even stop from what they are doing. School ends earlier for them though, which means I see them sooner in the day and I can leave sooner. More pool and game time for me!

To the weekDAY my friends, enjoy your week!

What are YOU still playing?

TheKeck

FORTY POSTS PER PAGE!
XCOM 2 is still my big boy. Fun to get these guys more and more powerful. Found some elerium crystals in the black market, but those will quickly be exhausted. Hopefully there are more in this UFO I'm raiding.

Having fun throwing games at my son. He asked to play more Half-life yesterday which resulted in some impressive screams that I was mentioning in the last thread.

Thinking about spinning up some Heavy Rain this week. I didn't really enjoy the controls in the demo, but since it was the "free" game this month for PS+, I may go ahead and give it a try. Otherwise I'll probably keep plugging away at the story mode in The Long Dark.

I'm back to work today and spending the day catching up on emails and wrangling things to ensure that we are remotely ready for ministry compliance visits should they happen in a couple of weeks. We're actually doing pretty good, all things concidered, but that doesn't stop my brain from waking me up at 4am and running through a list of things that I might have forgotten to do or have no possible way to ensure are ready if they come. Yippee....

On the upside, this is the first week where our new on-call procedures are in place which means that when I leave work at the end of the day (5ish or so), I'm technically off the clock until the next morning and staff have to figure things out for themselves! I've spent the past 6 years or so being ready to answer calls from Monday morning to Friday afternoon, 24/7, so this is going to take some getting used to. Of course, the trade-off for this is that every 2 months or so, I get to be on call for a week... so yay.

Oh, yesterday was a hoot. I spent the day playing D&D in the second qualifier day of the Ultimate Gamesmaster Competition that is being run in the area. I usually only get out to play D&D once every couple of weeks with the kids so this has been fun to see such a variety of DM styles and also be given an chance to try out a bunch of different classes that I don't usually play. That said, having a rules lawyer in the party who seemed to have memorized the entire Players Handbook while the other three of us are just there to have fun can be a bit of a drag. But we soldiered on and made a saving throw against the urge to throttle the dude, so it's all good.

When I'm not being tormented by my cranium this week, I'm hoping to play more of:

Moonlighter (PC) - This is a pretty fun game with a great reward loop. Go into dungeons, kill monsters, then go back to town and sell them to customers in your own shop. Oh, and craft better armour and weapons and upgrades to your shop so that you can kill the bosses and/or not die quite so fast when you are in said dungeon. Plus the music is great.

Yakuza 3 (PS3) - I didn't play this much while I was on vacation but I fired it back up last night and was having a blast kicking people and helping my stupid protoge get his tattoo finished and find love/get swindled by his high-school sweetheart. I guess I'd better get the actual story moving along again now...

Ace Attorney: Spirit Of Justice (3DS) - Slowly chipping away at this. I'll wrap it up eventually.

VAL-HALL-A
(PC) - Another game that I will play in the evening when I have free time and want to kill an hour here or there. I'm slowly getting close to the end, unless it suddenly opens up into a giant flower of a game...

EWolfmanD

Phantom Thieves
I'm still not sure what I want to play. I think I want to get back to Tokyo Xanadu eX+. But maybe I'll end up playing something else. I kinda want to get back to playing something on the PC too, so I might try out a few games from my Steam backlog.

I also need to play some more WoW so I can level up a char before BFA comes out.

I decided to start working on another arena team in SWGoH, so hopefully it doesn't take too long until they're usable. I'm just tired of the constant mirror matches. And at least most of the chars I'm working on are needed in the Sith raid anyway, so I would need to improve them at some point anyway.

Young Al Capone

Part of the problem
Finished up Far Cry 4, ended up liking it despite my complaints with the campaign missions. Not too sure if I want to get back to something I already started or start something new now.

I am still casually playing SMT Strange Journey, Flinthook, Road Redemption and Fast RMX. I am meaning to get back to Ys Origin and Psychonauts.

Purple Santa

Thinking about spinning up some Heavy Rain this week. I didn't really enjoy the controls in the demo, but since it was the "free" game this month for PS+, I may go ahead and give it a try. Otherwise I'll probably keep plugging away at the story mode in The Long Dark.
I really liked Heavy Rain. Not perfect by any means with lots of legitimate feedback on the game but I really liked what the game was attempting. I never did play the next game from the developer and I really need to.

I really liked Heavy Rain. Not perfect by any means with lots of legitimate feedback on the game but I really liked what the game was attempting. I never did play the next game from the developer and I really need to.
Beyond Two Souls was pretty solid. Some weird control issues, and very disturbing treatment of the female protagonist with regards to pushing abusive relationships on her kept me from enjoying it too much. Seriously, every single "romantic" opportunity either starts with a guy who is insanely rude/abusive towards her, or is very quickly rude/abusive in the interaction. Add to that the two superfluous shower scenes, and it's no wonder the developers have been accused of sexual harassment.

As a free PS+ game, it was worth playing. Not sure I'd be willing to pay for it though.

“Jason. JAAAAY-son.”

Yeah. Heavy Rain was pretty cool. B:TS was just as johnnyp describes. Solid, but clunky as hell in terms of how it handled the protagonist.

That’s why I’m going to wait for Detroit to drop. It sounds as fascinating as Heavy Rain in terms of the underlying concepts and game mechanics but just as ham-fisted in terms of how it treats the subject matter. Oh, David Cage... the prequel-era George Lucas of the videogame scene. Someone take away his writing and directing pen and just leave him to think up interesting concepts.

Purple Santa

Good to hear you are on the mend jp.

Conversation with the gf yesterday as she plays The Last of Us:

TGF: How am I suppose to beat THAT (tank that looks like it was made from old aluminum cans) ?!?
PS: Mmmmm...don't think you do.
TGF: So I go up to it and make friends with the weird looking tank?
PS: I'd love to see you try to hug it. Hug it out!
TGF: I"m going to hug you out in a minute...
PS: You have to go around it.
TGF: Are you sure you don't get to pop a bullet in someone's head?
PS: Not this time.
TGF: I don't believe you. I'm going to try a Molotov cocktail or a grenade.
PS: Ok.
Short time later...

TGF: You know you have to go around that can of tuna?
PS: Well there was that flamethrower you could have tried ...
TGF: :mad:

Purple Santa

As for my own game playing, I doused myself in the pool for a few hours then made myself some decent dinner (store bought veggie burgers need to be doctored up) then was in the mood for some South Park but tgf was hogging the tv playing TLoU. So I honed my golf skills in Golf Story.

TheKeck

FORTY POSTS PER PAGE!
Respecced my main Ranger, who was pretty much my highest ranking officer because she has done so much awesome for my whole game in XCOM 2 to not be focused on blades because I heard that they don't do well in the latter half of the game.

Not sure how I feel about it.

Dav Slinker

Oh, and hey, by the way
Played through the Octopath Traveler prologue demo on the switch and I gotta say, I was pretty impressed by it. Probably gonna have to pick that one up when it drops in a few days.

In non-gaming news, as I have some friends coming to visit me in August, I was able to snag tickets to the Ghibli museum. Tough to go online, lots of people trying to buy at the same time and the website times out a bunch. Even now half a day later they've sold out for the month. It's not automated sales either, you have to supply your passport number and they will check your tickets at the gate against the group leader's passport to ensure it matches, six tickets per group leader, no exceptions. Just a lot of goddamn Ghibli fans. I know a number of Japanese people who've never managed to get tickets. But chaboy had a free period at the school right when sales opened.

Watch me forget my damn passport or something, now.

Last edited:
Now that I'm at work, let me explain part of what happened, as far as I know.

For a long time I was taking a 50mg pill of my medication. A few months ago, my nephrologist decided he wanted to increase my dosage. The first step was to go to 75mg. TO do that, I originally was taking a 50mg pill and then halved another. Then I started getting 25mg pills and taking 3 of them. When I later went to 100mg, I was taking 4x25mg until my current supply ran out, and then switched to a 100mg pill.

Problem is, I went from a medium pill, to a medium pill and a small one, to 3 (then 4) small pills, and then 1 large one. The small pills (and the halved medium one) had fairly fast absorption, so I was used to the medication's sedative effect hitting me pretty fast. When I went to the large pill, it has much slower absorption, so I had a much harder time sleeping until almost the next day.

The tossing and turning led to the back pain...as for the cramping, I got no idea.

So I know what to expect now, and hopefully I'll learn to compensate.

Gorvi

You're not my supervisor!
I have been sick as hell the past week, today is finally the first day I'm feeling close to normal again. My only real symptom was a fever, but it came and went at regular intervals for nearly a week, I've been a mess of fever and cold sweats. Ugh. I still have no appetite whatsoever, I lost 6.5 pounds due to all this, but I'm kinda getting back to normal.

As such I haven't done too much gaming. A bit of Fallout 4 while laying around like a bum trying to feel better, but that's about it. The gf has been amazing helping out hanging with the kids a bit so I can try to feel a little better, she's been awesome. Hopefully my week of waking up in a pool of my own sweat is over.

Good to hear you are on the mend jp.

Conversation with the gf yesterday as she plays The Last of Us:

TGF: How am I suppose to beat THAT (tank that looks like it was made from old aluminum cans) ?!?
PS: Mmmmm...don't think you do.
TGF: So I go up to it and make friends with the weird looking tank?
PS: I'd love to see you try to hug it. Hug it out!
TGF: I"m going to hug you out in a minute...
PS: You have to go around it.
TGF: Are you sure you don't get to pop a bullet in someone's head?
PS: Not this time.
TGF: I don't believe you. I'm going to try a Molotov cocktail or a grenade.
PS: Ok.
Short time later...

TGF: You know you have to go around that can of tuna?
PS: Well there was that flamethrower you could have tried ...
TGF: :mad:
This is one of my favorite games of all time, but when I replayed it earlier this year, I totally forgot that I had to go around the tank. I tried to blow it up like 3 or 4 times before I remembered.

I can't remember that tank at all.
It's right before you meet up with Henry and Sam in Pittsburgh. It's really just a Humvee with a bunch of armor and a turret set atop it. It shoots at you as you move through some stores and alleyways. Basically you just have to avoid it spotting you as you make your way through the stores and across the street.

I mentioned (I think) that I finished Yakuza 0, right? Fun game, but god, the minigames are brutal in that.

Started on Yak 1 Kiwami, and it's nice. I think the main problem I have is that it really feels like the 15+ years between 0 and 1 have passed, but having played a bunch of 6 it doesn't feel like 10 years have passed between 1 and 6.

Continuing on in Where the Water Tastes Like Wine. Completed a couple of the 'true' stories, and cripes, did the imagery get bizarre.

Dav Slinker

Oh, and hey, by the way
Now that I'm at work, let me explain part of what happened, as far as I know.

For a long time I was taking a 50mg pill of my medication. A few months ago, my nephrologist decided he wanted to increase my dosage. The first step was to go to 75mg. TO do that, I originally was taking a 50mg pill and then halved another. Then I started getting 25mg pills and taking 3 of them. When I later went to 100mg, I was taking 4x25mg until my current supply ran out, and then switched to a 100mg pill.

Problem is, I went from a medium pill, to a medium pill and a small one, to 3 (then 4) small pills, and then 1 large one. The small pills (and the halved medium one) had fairly fast absorption, so I was used to the medication's sedative effect hitting me pretty fast. When I went to the large pill, it has much slower absorption, so I had a much harder time sleeping until almost the next day.

The tossing and turning led to the back pain...as for the cramping, I got no idea.

So I know what to expect now, and hopefully I'll learn to compensate.
What if you cut the pill into pieces? Or hell, grind it up and go out that much quicker.

Dav Slinker

Oh, and hey, by the way
Eh, it's fine. I just take it a bit earlier. And besides, I was essentially using it as a semi-sleeping pill which is probably a bad idea.
That's definitely gonna contribute to the formation of habit, yeah, especially if it's an opioid.

Worth noting in a few months certain... "alternative pain medications" will be legalized throughout Canada.

Young Al Capone

Part of the problem
The opioids or the weed?

Octopath Traveller can wait. I am still making my way through SMT Strange Journey, slowly, and still have Persona 5 and Xenoblade Chronicles 2 on my shelf. That doesn't mean I will wait, just means the option is there.

Top Bottom