WeekDAY Gaming (06.11.18) - What are YOU still playing?

EWolfmanD

Phantom Thieves
I think I'm going to get a PS4 Pro tomorrow and give my current PS4 to my brother, so I'm going to hold off starting any new PS4 games until I get that set up and running. So I'll probably just read a lot tonight and maybe play some stuff on the PC.

It’s been so long since I’ve had a significant issue with my PC that wasn’t related to it being a dinosaur. This new rig has had a hiccup or two but I’m hoping they’re more software related and not a completely failed drive.
Good luck with the comp troubles. Hopefully it isn't anything major.

evilgoodwin

Abomination Unto Nuggan
Went through my storage and found my gamecube! Gonna try to hook it up to the PC to capture footage for Ocarina for the Zelda Project.

Unfortunately, I didn't find the gamecube games, so... I'll have to go back to the storage unit. It just got too hot in there to continue working (note: it's a climate controlled unit, but it's reaaaally hot in Texas today).

jpublic

Threadslayer
I think I'm going to get a PS4 Pro tomorrow and give my current PS4 to my brother, so I'm going to hold off starting any new PS4 games until I get that set up and running. So I'll probably just read a lot tonight and maybe play some stuff on the PC.
Remember you can migrate from one machine to the other automatically, unless you're doing HDD shenanigans.

Stoke

Act. Like. A. Dove.
More Path of Exile until I settle on something else. I picked up 6 months of Xbox game pass from Amazon's half off deal thanks to Mot but I've been holding off activating it until I'm ready to play something. Watching all the coverage for AC:Odyssey has me considering picking up AC:Origins. I wasn't a huge fan of the early AC games but these new entries seem like a completely different series almost.

If Odyssey is anything like Origins, it will be quite a departure from the earlier games. Not TOO radical a departure, but you’ll probably enjoy it as they really did do a lot to freshen the series up. Odyssey isn’t out until next year, right?

On a somewhat positive note, the diagnostic finally finished running and on the hardware front, my rig gave me greens across the board. I suspect that the issue is the windows update as the boot to Windows is where the system is hanging. That’s a much easier fix than a failed drive.

Looks like I’ll be on the horn to Dell tomorrow to put my extended warranty to use to get this sucker fixed.

Dav Slinker

Oh, and hey, by the way
On a somewhat positive note, the diagnostic finally finished running and on the hardware front, my rig gave me greens across the board. I suspect that the issue is the windows update as the boot to Windows is where the system is hanging. That’s a much easier fix than a failed drive.

Looks like I’ll be on the horn to Dell tomorrow to put my extended warranty to use to get this sucker fixed.
That's a definite relief. Hell, if you have the windows install disc you can probably just boot to that from your BIOS, reinstall or repair, and Bob's your uncle.

Stoke

Act. Like. A. Dove.
If Odyssey is anything like Origins, it will be quite a departure from the earlier games. Not TOO radical a departure, but you’ll probably enjoy it as they really did do a lot to freshen the series up. Odyssey isn’t out until next year, right?
October 5th, 2018.

That's a definite relief. Hell, if you have the windows install disc you can probably just boot to that from your BIOS, reinstall or repair, and Bob's your uncle.
They never give you an install disc when you buy a prebuilt. That said, I’m sure I’ll be able to get some kind of install to fix it.

Mot Wakorb

47 Friendly Fires
They never give you an install disc when you buy a prebuilt. That said, I’m sure I’ll be able to get some kind of install to fix it.
If it is Windows 10, you don't need it. You can download this ISO and either A: burn it to a disc (don't do that) or B: download a tool called Rufus to turn it into a USB drive install (moar faster!) Since your machine's Win10 install has a hardware ID, it'll activate without needing to insert a key, anything to that effect.

Dav Slinker

Oh, and hey, by the way
So fortnite on the switch plays pretty nice. Hadn't played it on Pc, but the matches seem quite smooth with minimal lag, which is to be expected with dedicated servers. Shame Nintendo is sticking with peer-to-peer hosting with their matchmaking so far - doesn't inspire me to pay for their online service.

TheKeck

FORTY POSTS PER PAGE!
So fortnite on the switch plays pretty nice. Hadn't played it on Pc, but the matches seem quite smooth with minimal lag, which is to be expected with dedicated servers. Shame Nintendo is sticking with peer-to-peer hosting with their matchmaking so far - doesn't inspire me to pay for their online service.
I was wondering about this. When Switch online goes pay-to-play, will that apply to games like Fortnite? Or do they have their own thing going on?

Dav Slinker

Oh, and hey, by the way
I was wondering about this. When Switch online goes pay-to-play, will that apply to games like Fortnite? Or do they have their own thing going on?
Was just wondering that myself. I guess we'll find out.

I did have one great moment in fortnite where I took down a 4-man squad solo while my team was faffing around. I tried to signal them to come grab some loot as my pockets were full, but they just sat in the fort.

TheKeck

FORTY POSTS PER PAGE!
I had this cool moment where I was trying to kill the second person I saw, but they killed me instead.

I guess there was the moment just prior where I killed the first person I saw with a pick axe.

Gorvi

You're not my supervisor!
I've tried to like Fortnite, only because my 10 year old loves it so much, but I just can't do it.

Well, the new PS4 came in last night, and after transferring data for 8 hours last night everything is all set up. The kids have the old PS4 in their room, the Pro is on the main TV. They're super excited to play Overwatch together tonight, and their copies of FFXIV should be in the mail when I get home. Now I just need to move my character to a new server (a good friend moved) and I can create their new characters.

I played a little God of War this morning just to mess around with it, but I really can't tell the difference. The game still looks great no matter what.

Gorvi

You're not my supervisor!
Heh. Don't know that I'd describe it as "mindless". More like punishingly difficult with a long iteration time. :p
Maybe mindless is the wrong word. Boring, shallow, and repetitive? Maybe that's a bit reductive, but man, that gameplay loop couldn't be more unappealing to me. I've put a couple of hours into it, and I'll jump in every once in a while when my son really wants me to play with him, but I do it solely for him.

evilgoodwin

Abomination Unto Nuggan
I've tried to like Fortnite, only because my 10 year old loves it so much, but I just can't do it.

Well, the new PS4 came in last night, and after transferring data for 8 hours last night everything is all set up. The kids have the old PS4 in their room, the Pro is on the main TV. They're super excited to play Overwatch together tonight, and their copies of FFXIV should be in the mail when I get home. Now I just need to move my character to a new server (a good friend moved) and I can create their new characters.

I played a little God of War this morning just to mess around with it, but I really can't tell the difference. The game still looks great no matter what.
Let me know what server you move to in FFXIV. :D

Purple Santa

(keeper of the day and end)
So much for intention of games I wanted to play. I fired up Hitman for some reason and played around in the third episode for the game. I still can't figure out how to get near the targets without killing anyone or alerting others so I finally had a moment of "i'll restart the episode" then decided to go on a killing spree. I think I was called homicidal by one of the characters but then he died too. I really am enjoying this game so i'll be fooling around with it some more. Maybe by restarting the episode i'll figure out how to get to the targets.

My son was a PUBG snob but now that the computer is dead, he found out that FortNite is on Switch and somehow managed to install it. Sigh.

Thanks for the ISO info. I need to go pick up a bigger USB stick though since I can’t seem to get it to work with the 8GB stick I have.

Dav Slinker

Oh, and hey, by the way
I think Fortnite is relatively inoffensive on the whole. Is it God's gift to gaming? No. It's fine. I know lots of people seem to dislike it, I suspect this is largely in response to the fact that kids love it. Me, I couldn't give a shit what the kids like or don't, generally. At least it's technically free.

I think Fortnite is relatively inoffensive on the whole. Is it God's gift to gaming? No. It's fine. I know lots of people seem to dislike it, I suspect this is largely in response to the fact that kids love it. Me, I couldn't give a shit what the kids like or don't, generally. At least it's technically free.
It’s pretty, has a cartoonish aesthetic and it’s free. That second part is a huge reason why it’s rocketed past PUBG which is l, what, $30 or so?

I prefer PUBG myself but that’s because I like to hide under rocks. The only reason I really don’t like FN is because my nephew talks about it non-stop whenever I see him. I’m talking literal hours of constant FN blather.

Dav Slinker

Oh, and hey, by the way
It’s pretty, has a cartoonish aesthetic and it’s free. That second part is a huge reason why it’s rocketed past PUBG which is l, what, $30 or so?

I prefer PUBG myself but that’s because I like to hide under rocks. The only reason I really don’t like FN is because my nephew talks about it non-stop whenever I see him. I’m talking literal hours of constant FN blather.
That would grate on me for sure, I can understand your reluctance.

I've heard PUBG has optimization issues though, even for high-and computers. Is it still true?

Purple Santa

(keeper of the day and end)
I was going to ask a few weeks back about FortNite, since I knew very little about the game but I am hearing it quite a bit at the group home (not playing it here of course. Just general conversation about the game). I looked into the game, I can see why younger ones like it.

Played around with Hitman this morning, starting up the episode again. After walking around once again and still not finding a way to get closer to my target, I may have stumbled upon a way to plan to kill my targets. I have found the exterminator that is fumigating the building, I now have to figure out how to knock out the exterminator and/or send toxic fumes through the vent system. Unfortunately by the time I figured all this out, it was time to get ready for work. Boo. I will return tonight to see if I can fumigate some humans.

Dav Slinker

Oh, and hey, by the way
I was going to ask a few weeks back about FortNite, since I knew very little about the game but I am hearing it quite a bit at the group home (not playing it here of course. Just general conversation about the game). I looked into the game, I can see why younger ones like it.
Colony of Gamers, where creeping up on your thirtieth birthday still qualifies you as a "younger one."

jpublic

Threadslayer
In my 30th year....the XBox 360 was a brand new console. Wow, that was long ago.

Well, Shadowrun Dragonfall is done. I think I'm going to put Hong Kong off for a while, I'm getting bored with this nonsense.

I'm also generally getting tired of these 'no good solution, only the bad one you can live with' storytelling styles.

Top Bottom