WeekDAY Gaming (05.14.18) - What are YOU still playing?

It's the timing that ultimately got me. It's genuinely insulting taking the context of the moment. That and the fact the ending just makes everything you do pointless. It makes you feel like playing through the game was a waste of time. The second ending makes you feel that at least this happened for SOMETHING.
Now, I will admit that had several of you not been making as much noise about the ending, I may not have started thinking as much about what it might be on my way through the last 2/3 of the game. I figured that what ended up happening would likely be of sufficient scale as what did happen in order to rile so many people into hating it so much :)

I think that may be why I want caught as much off guard as a lot of others were and could just sit back and bask in its absurdity. And I'm completely done with the game now (aside from trying out the stuff coming in the season pass wacky DLC packs) so it was a nice way to put a hard stop to my wanting to go back and play around in Hope County any time soon.

I totally understand WHY so many people didn't like that ending though.

I got Yakuza 0 for my birthaversary, so I look forward to playing that this weekend and next week. It will be my first Yakuza game, and I'm really hoping that I enjoy it. I liked the demos I've played of the games, I just never actually picked up a full game. I doubt I'll go through all of them, but I am definitely planning to play 0 and 6, and if I enjoy those I may grab Kiwami and Kiwami 2 when that comes out.
You should probably hold off on 6 since it's basically the final chapter in Kazuma's story. See how Zero & Kiwami grab you. Having just played through Yakuza 2, it's great and, frankly, tells a much better story than the original did. Hopefully the Kiwami version makes it look even better.

Wolvie

AKA JayBob
Now, I will admit that had several of you not been making as much noise about the ending, I may not have started thinking as much about what it might be on my way through the last 2/3 of the game. I figured that what ended up happening would likely be of sufficient scale as what did happen in order to rile so many people into hating it so much :)

I think that may be why I want caught as much off guard as a lot of others were and could just sit back and bask in its absurdity. And I'm completely done with the game now (aside from trying out the stuff coming in the season pass wacky DLC packs) so it was a nice way to put a hard stop to my wanting to go back and play around in Hope County any time soon.

I totally understand WHY so many people didn't like that ending though.
It's kinda like Requiem For a Dream. Or I Have No Mouth, And I Must Scream. Or Sucker Punch. That kind of fuck hope, the bad guy wins anyways bullshit is fine in movies. But I do not want it in my video games. Ever. Especially in my FPS'. I wanna go in, kill the bad guy and watch the credits roll with a smile on my face.

Also, the ending could have been so much better with some damn PATIENCE. Here's what the ending should have been using the scenario they chose(spoiler tagged of course)

Ending #1

You get to shoot The Father in the head. Before you arrest him you're given the option to treat his brain to a refreshing breeze. Then the Sheriff wrestles you to the ground and arrests you. Then six months later you're visited by somebody. They inform you about how Hope county is doing and how bad things are getting in the world. Then out of nowhere the bombs start dropping outside. The person visiting you yells "He was right! The Father was right! White fills the screen and an explosion sound hits. Roll credits.

Ending #2 You fight and arrest The Father. You drag him into the truck and drive away. Cut to black. Days/Weeks/Months later you find yourself talking to some people of Hope county(possibly Dutch and a few others). They talk about recovering from Project Edens Gate. Then on the TV an EBS message pops up. It talks of nuclear war, and getting to shelter immediately. You rush to the bunker and sit down with the survivors. Again someone says The Father was actually right. Fade to black

With this second ending you take out the timing of the bombs being right after the arrest of The Father, and remove the idea that God was unleashing nuclear Armageddon over a hissy fit induced by his chosen Messiah being arrested. And thus removing the rather insulting religious implications therein(inferred and otherwise). As in gods chosen people are all murdering, torturing, thieving sick disgusting bastards. I mean, if I wasn't an agnostic and actually religious, that last idea alone would have me fuming.

Ending #3

The bad ending, untouched. This one didn't bother me. It can stay. :)

Ending #4 MY ending! The Father is arrested. Then You're treated to a scene of the people of Hope county celebrating. Fireworks erupt in the background. Everyone is happy and talking about starting over. Fade to black with Stars n stripes emblazoned credits rolling, and the occasional fireworks erupting. Then you get a big congratulations and are told you can now freely explore Hope county and finish up loose ends. And even restart the bases so you can take em down again. Or just wait for the crazy DLC to come out, whatevs.

Last edited:

rein

Colonist
Argh! I think MS has ripped me off $20 in credit from redeeming Bing rewards. I figured I would go all in on State of Decay 2 and get the ultimate edition with reward points. I redeemed 5 @ 10 credit (they are having a bonus promo) and only 3 of the credits are showing. It did deduct the points. I will give it until tomorrow before I decide if I want to pay the difference or just pick up the vanilla preorder if the rest of the credit does not show.

I am a dummy and it took me a while to figure out how to see the transactions for the rewards on the Bing side. I have two transactions that are still pending. Yay for a free game.

Last edited:

rein

Colonist
It's ok. They ripped me off $60 for Sea Of Thieves... :(
I read an editorial on Polygon that said weeding out the casuals is the best thing for the game. It is a make your own fun game. Which is okay in theory but a stick and a pebble can be fun if you make it so.

I'm pretty sure losing a majority of players less than a month into a game is not a good thing. Especially a game as service kind of game. I'm still hoping they improve it and make something great out of it. They have a solid foundation to build on.

Purple Santa

keeper of the day and end
I read an editorial on Polygon that said weeding out the casuals is the best thing for the game. It is a make your own fun game. Which is okay in theory but a stick and a pebble can be fun if you make it so.

I'm pretty sure losing a majority of players less than a month into a game is not a good thing. Especially a game as service kind of game. I'm still hoping they improve it and make something great out of it. They have a solid foundation to build on.
Weeding out the casuals is good for the game? Was the editorial being snarky? Why would that be a good thing? I might be one of those casuals :(

Edit: NM. I read the piece. Not sure I agree with the writer, but they make a case for the game what it is. In the end it isn't my type of game so I can't say the person is wrong.

Last edited:

Wolvie

AKA JayBob
Sea of Thieves is basically a game that is only good for YouTubers and Twitch Streamers. It's just a big open sandbox to good off in and do silly stuff. Kinda like every GTA online video or Battle Royale game is these days.

I actually do like Sea Of Thieves but they need to add a bit more to it. I had a good time for about 3-4 days but would love for more content or even hidden lore.

Purple Santa

Sea of Thieves is basically a game that is only good for YouTubers and Twitch Streamers. It's just a big open sandbox to good off in and do silly stuff. Kinda like every GTA online video or Battle Royale game is these days.
If I gamed online at all with friends, I could see SoT being something I would like. But I'm pretty much a solitary gamer. Although the thought of playing in a crew headed by Karak, to see what tree he could drive a ship up, would be entertaining.

I'm with Purps, though even if I did game online regularly I'm not sure SoT would be the type of game that would interest me. There just doesn't seem to be much to do in it. I don't know why I'd pick that over one of the survival crafting games or something like Divinity Original Sin 2. And with State of Decay 2 coming out, I'd absolutely pick that over some game where you sail around and hunt chickens all day hoping griefers don't up your ship.

Wolvie

AKA JayBob
If I gamed online at all with friends, I could see SoT being something I would like. But I'm pretty much a solitary gamer. Although the thought of playing in a crew headed by Karak, to see what tree he could drive a ship up, would be entertaining.
Yeah, I'm amazed my brother hasn't asked me to play it with him. He's a huge pirate nerd. But I told him about it and he went meh. So I avoid it, even though it looks interesting.

Its biggest issue is that there are three things to do and there's very little variety within those three things to really hold your interest after a day or two of mucking about. I did like the one wrinkle in the form of the cryptic messages in bottles that actually gave you some puzzles to solve. I wish there was more of that in the game. I was having fun with the sailing though. I made my own little challenge to drop anchor and come to a stop right at the edge of the docks whenever I came up to a port.

I do hope they pull a NMS and roll out content long-term as there is a nifty skeleton of a game there but it needs some meat on those bones to lure me back in.

So Omensight is rather good. I thoroughly enjoyed Stories: Paths Of Destiny and this is similar enough to feel familiar but also really, really different in so many other ways.

I love how the story kind of layers on itself as you Groundhog Day your way through it.

So I had a great idea... "Hey, 11 year old daughter of mine. It's 8pm on a school night. Want to play a scenario of Gloomhaven for the first time? Don't worry, Daddy knows the rules now so it'll be FUN! It's just like D&D and you like that!"

It turns out I wasn't 100% set-up for the scenario and by the time we took down our first three baddies in the first room, she was asking if we were done yet and it was after 8:30, so I called it a night. I think she gets the gist of it though and now we're in a bit more of a roll. If we don't get to play together to finish the scenario, then I'll just wrap it up.

Now to get back to work on Omensight.

Purple Santa

Well if there were an online game that came along that was popular in here, I'd probably jump in. All the talk of online gaming has me wanting to be social. Most likely it will fade by the morning, but for a moment under the not so full moon, the crazy thought was there.

Well if there were an online game that came along that was popular in here, I'd probably jump in. All the talk of online gaming has me wanting to be social. Most likely it will fade by the morning, but for a moment under the not so full moon, the crazy thought was there.
SpyParty! It's a hoot and the community is super nice. I don't mind online stuff but I just don't stick with most of them for the long haul. I'm well past my MMO phase but I like things like PUBG or SpyParty or other weird things that give you some drop-in/drop-out fun without expecting a huge commitment. Original Destiny was entertaining in that you could easily party up with a buddy but weren't forced to. Same with Monster Hunter. Just let me play solo unless I absolutely need to party up.

Gorvi

You're not my supervisor!
Well, I played nothing the past couple of days. Tuesday was my middle son's 10th birthday, so it was all about that all day, and yesterday I chaperoned a bunch of excited 5th graders around Sea World. Both were fun, both were exhausting. I did get in a tiny bit of both Yakuza Dead Souls and Steins;Gate, but only about half an hour of each. More tonight if I can get some time after doing a bit of housework that's been neglected the past two days.

Gorvi

You're not my supervisor!
Oh, I almost forgot, Final Fantasy XI has a free login campaign for past subscribers for the next two weeks and I should be playing that tonight. I still need to get a controller working properly, but that shouldn't be too hard. I'll be going on a bit of a nostalgia tour in that this weekend, that should be a lot of fun. I have so many memories tied to that game, it's ridiculous.

TheKeck

FORTY POSTS PER PAGE!
I put the hot dogs and pineapple on the grill too soon. Now I'm trying to keep it warm without burning it until my family gets home. A cook I am not.

Was playing Cuphead before that. This dragon can die a slow agonizing death.

Purple Santa

Just played a little Snipperclips with my son last night.
I guess I also played get vomited on by my daughter at 3 am. Not my favorite.
I put the hot dogs and pineapple on the grill too soon. Now I'm trying to keep it warm without burning it until my family gets home. A cook I am not.
Was playing Cuphead before that. This dragon can die a slow agonizing death.
Dragon died a slow agonizing death. Jerk.
In the life with TK.

Wolvie

AKA JayBob
Welp it's the old B-Day again, and I have the day off(of four!). So I'd imagine I'm gonna do a lot of gaming and hanging out with the wife/kids. Also I get my favorite meal(spaghetti!). Tomorrow I'm gonna go see Deadpool 2 because of course I am. Donky Kong Tropical Freeze has a chance to be finished this weekend as well. Then on To Dragon's Crown Pro!

Last edited:

rein

Colonist
Happy B day Wolvie.

I am off work today but will be spending most of it at Hai's school and maybe taking Tay's dog to the groomer. I do have a bit of time this morning to play some SoD2.

Wolvie

AKA JayBob
Happy B day Wolvie.

I am off work today but will be spending most of it at Hai's school and maybe taking Tay's dog to the groomer. I do have a bit of time this morning to play some SoD2.
Hey there hooky buddy! Enjoy your day off(yes I am overly happy today for obvious reasons). :)

Happy Birthday, Wolvie. We're birthday week pals! :p
So we're like Deadpool and Cable! :D

Young Al Capone

Part of the problem
Happy Bday Wolvie!

Been playing Super Meat Boy, Ys Origin and Doki Doki Literature Club. Gonna see Deadpool 2 or Infinity War again this weekend if I can manage.

Young Al Capone

Part of the problem
Still working on the light levels, on the last boss. I never finished it way back when, and have always meant to go back and at least finish the campaign. We will see about the dark world.

TheKeck

FORTY POSTS PER PAGE!
Nice. Those levels are no walk in the park. ;)

Edit: I love this game so much. Just noticed that my top 3 rare achievements showcased on my Steam profile are from SMB. You gotta get on that dark world next! :D

Last edited:
Welp it's the old B-Day again, and I have the day off(of four!). So I'd imagine I'm gonna do a lot of gaming and hanging out with the wife/kids. Also I get my favorite meal(spaghetti!). Tomorrow I'm gonna go see Deadpool 2 because of course I am. Donky Kong Tropical Freeze has a chance to be finished this weekend as well. Then on To Dragon's Crown Pro!
Happy birthaversary!
Happy Birthday, Wolvie. We're birthday week pals! :p
Same here. Mine is tomorrow, which is why I'm taking all of next week off to put towards gaming. Should be a good time and I may even finish a couple of games.

Top Bottom