WeekDAY Gaming (04.16.18) - What are YOU still playing?

Purple Santa

keeper of the day and end
What am I still playing? Is nothing a game? I need to reframe the weekday's question what will I hope to play. That would be Yakuza 5. I was attempting to actually understand all the characters and plot in the series and made it to Yakuza 3. Then the weekend occurred and nothing much happened gaming wise. Sometimes I wish I didn't have to decompress so much from work over the weekend but that is an ever elusive goal. But a new week and i'm going to try to organize my work life so it isn't taking over so much of my downtime where my downtime is just recovering from work. Gaming goal for the week, get somewhere with Yakuza 5.

Have a great week everyone!

What are YOU still playing?

Gorvi

You're not my supervisor!
I ordered a bunch of stuff for the house over the weekend, so I'm sure a good deal of my gaming time will be replaced with putting some furniture together and hanging some new curtains and rods. Fun!

When I do get a chance to game it'll still be all about Yakuza 4 and Steins;Gate. I didn't get much time with either over the weekend, but I should be able to get some in this week. God of War on Friday! The only question is if I'll be masochistic enough to play that on the hardest setting right off the bat. Odds are I probably will....

Gorvi

Mags, this is one of those rare times I appreciate being in Florida. I'll be taking that back soon enough I'm sure.

After I finish playing Dig Out My Car Super EX Turbo! I will play some Mario + Rabbids and Minecraft.

So I will be here:

View attachment 379
Yikes. It's not that bad up here but I had to chip off a good 2-3 inches of ice from my car this morning. The roads were at least driveable today, although the ice and slush on the driveways at work were super fun to deal with. I got to one of the programs and we had the whole crew out helping to push a staff's car out of where he'd gotten stuck in the driveway... for TWO HOURS. They can't say I don't do anything for my employees, that's for darned sure.

Tonight I'm heading out to see Videogames Live (box seats, baby!) with the kids and one of my D&D buddies, so that should be great. I've been about 2-3 times already and have always enjoyed the concert.

The rest of the week should see more:

Far Cry 5 (PC) - I've filled up the 'John Seed Is Pissed Off At Me' meter so I'm looking forward to liberating his area soon. Then on to the other parts of the map.

Ace Attorney: Spirit Of Justice (3DS) - I was completely stuck yesterday and about to give up but then, like an OBJECTION! from the blue, I had a flash of insight and solved the puzzle and now I'm moving on. I haven't actually started the final trial yet, but I must be close to wrapping up the investigation phase.

God Of War (PS4) - I haven't followed this closely at all. I have enjoyed all of the previous entries but figured this would just be some kind of half-baked revamp. Then I started to see the rapturous praise being heaped upon it and even heard comparisons to Journey (in terms of the central conceit of the game from the beginning to end) which tweaked my interest. I need a nice little cinematic romp as a palate cleanser while I bounce between 30 different open world games, so if it's half as good as I'm hearing, I'll certainly enjoy it.

I'll probably read a book and play Flipships or something this week too... plus it's my daughter's birthday on Saturday, so woo!

MagGnome

Le nain de jardin
Spig, thankfully there was no ice under there. The snow slid off my car in large chunks and the windows were clean underneath. It did take me 20 minutes to dig out my car, after which I was a little worn out. We're getting more snow on Wednesday, but that should hopefully be the last of it.

TheKeck

FORTY POSTS PER PAGE!
I was just listening to a PA podcast and learned that Mercy's abilities in Overwatch are almost unrecognizable from how they were back when I used to play her. That's... disconcerting.

Gorvi

I was just listening to a PA podcast and learned that Mercy's abilities in Overwatch are almost unrecognizable from how they were back when I used to play her. That's... disconcerting.
They moved her raise to a long cooldown ability and gave her a new ult, that's really it, isn't it? She still has her heal beam and damage boost beam, can switch to her pea shooter, and glide to teammates. For the most part she still plays the same.

TheKeck

FORTY POSTS PER PAGE!
They moved her raise to a long cooldown ability and gave her a new ult, that's really it, isn't it? She still has her heal beam and damage boost beam, can switch to her pea shooter, and glide to teammates. For the most part she still plays the same.
Changing her ult to an ability that only resurrects one person and it takes a few seconds to do it is a huge deal!

I've been playing and enjoying Ni No Kuni 2. I'll probably continue playing that at least until Friday when I get God of War and the new PS4 Pro. Still haven't decided if I'll try to put off playing GoW until next month when I took a week off of work just to play video games after my birthaversary. It seems unlikely that I'll be able to hold out that long to play it though.

Purple Santa

I feel like I haven't played a God of War game in forever. I'm trying to remember why Kratos has a son and where he came from. I have this pre-ordered but I may wait.

I feel like I haven't played a God of War game in forever. I'm trying to remember why Kratos has a son and where he came from. I have this pre-ordered but I may wait.
Pretty sure this is all new, and none of this was hinted at or even talked about in previous games. I don't think I've played one since GoW 2.

Purple Santa

Pretty sure this is all new, and none of this was hinted at or even talked about in previous games. I don't think I've played one since GoW 2.
I had to look up what games I played. I think I played all of the PS games and the Portable stuff. I thought maybe I missed one. I like the series, I just have Yakuza 5 to play and I just don't want it sitting around. Although I can see the gf loving GoW. I may buy it so she can play.

EWolfmanD

Phantom Thieves
I finally got back to Tokyo Xanadu eX+ a little bit last night, so I need to play more of that.

I also recovered my Warframe account so that I can check it out again. Apparently it's been 4 years since I played. I appreciate that my mail from then was still around. :p I think I had mostly been logging in for the daily whatevers back then and maybe did some stuff to improve my initial suit some, but I'm not really sure. So I guess I'll play through the intro missions some more and hopefully figure out how things work. I should probably look up some info about what to do in the beginning of the game so I don't waste whatever resources that I get, which I'm not even sure what they are yet. I kinda wish I had logged in daily the whole time just to amass some stuff though. :p

I'll probably also play a bit of Overwatch event loot box collecting, Hearthstone, WoW, Path of Exile, SWGoH, etc. I think I'm going to unlock Palpatine's leadership ability tonight for my first zeta ability, so that's kinda exciting. :)

Zagrash

3 ducks in a man suit
I'll likely get through as much of Ni no Kuni 2 as I can prior to God of War, and then will probably run through that so I can get back to NnK2.

edit: I'll hopefully play a few rounds of Overwatch too, gotta get those loots.

Spig, thankfully there was no ice under there. The snow slid off my car in large chunks and the windows were clean underneath. It did take me 20 minutes to dig out my car, after which I was a little worn out. We're getting more snow on Wednesday, but that should hopefully be the last of it.
I had ice, then snow, then more ice on my car today. It was a sheer delight. The driveways at work were basically in the same state and our shovels and snowblowers were basically useless against it (hence my team and I taking 2 hours of work to clear what we could to push the guy out of the driveway!)

The VGL concert tonight was excellent. It's been 6 years since they were last here and Tommy's stage patter was a lot funnier and kept the audience engaged. Highlights were the Okami, Ace Attorney (natch), Undertale and FFX (To Zanarkand) pieces, though the encore was probably the best I've seen at a VGL show so far. They had the original singer of the Pokémon theme song come out and lead the crowd and it was a hoot. Perfect ending to a great concert.

We'd hoped to get some posters signed after the show, but the line was stupidly long and it's a school night, so home we went.
He didn't have one the last we saw of him. Atreus is all new for this game (unless I'm horribly mistaken). Plus he moved to Norway.

Granted, I haven't read up on this one or much of the lore around it, so I could be horribly wrong. I was under the impression that this wasn't even technically the same Kratos we all know and love but maybe it IS the same and he just got fed up with living in Greece and settled down with a nice viking lass to raise a family.

Young Al Capone

Part of the problem
Bouncing from one thing to the next, nothing that I am dedicated to at the moment. Lots of shmups over the weekend, I think I am getting close to clearing Deathsmiles with one life.

Gorvi

Granted, I haven't read up on this one or much of the lore around it, so I could be horribly wrong. I was under the impression that this wasn't even technically the same Kratos we all know and love but maybe it IS the same and he just got fed up with living in Greece and settled down with a nice viking lass to raise a family.
Yeah, it's the same continuity. I've kinda enjoyed the GoW lore and I'm curious to see how this ties to the old games. GoW3 was the last one chronologically and it ended with Kratos killing himself (to spite Athena) and an after credits scene showing a bloody smear leading off a cliff where his body had been. There's a scene in some of the trailers where it shows him picking up a piece of Greek pottery with him on it holding the blades. He's still a demigod, so that would make his son one too I think.

So I'm finally on the second character's story in Yakuza 4. I spent a ton of time dicking around with open world stuff in the first story (I've found I think 90% of those damn locker keys) so this one should go by much, much quicker. Well, until Friday that is.

Purple Santa

So I'm finally on the second character's story in Yakuza 4. I spent a ton of time dicking around with open world stuff in the first story (I've found I think 90% of those damn locker keys) so this one should go by much, much quicker. Well, until Friday that is.
I am watching a video summary for Yakuza 4. I forgot how much I really liked this game in the series.

Gorvi

I am watching a video summary for Yakuza 4. I forgot how much I really liked this game in the series.
It's really good! I will say, the hostess mini game is tedious and boring. Baseball, bowling, darts, that's all fun, but playing dress up with the hostesses, well, not my thing. It would be better if it moved a bit quicker, and maybe they fixed that for the PS4 games, but man, those menus are slow and clunky.

Apparently there's fishing and table tennis in there somewhere too, but I haven't seen that yet. And Shogi, which I have no clue how to play, but between this and Persona 5 I'm now determined to learn.

Over the weekend I pre-ordered the nice limited edition for Yakuza 6. I'm weak, and those glasses are damn nice.

Purple Santa

It's really good! I will say, the hostess mini game is tedious and boring. Baseball, bowling, darts, that's all fun, but playing dress up with the hostesses, well, not my thing. It would be better if it moved a bit quicker, and maybe they fixed that for the PS4 games, but man, those menus are slow and clunky.

Apparently there's fishing and table tennis in there somewhere too, but I haven't seen that yet. And Shogi, which I have no clue how to play, but between this and Persona 5 I'm now determined to learn.

Over the weekend I pre-ordered the nice limited edition for Yakuza 6. I'm weak, and those glasses are damn nice.
I ordered them too. I didn't know they existed but happened to be on Gamestop website (don't hate me, I was only looking I swear ;) ) then ordered them (ok, hate me, I did buy something from GS)

Gorvi

I ordered them too. I didn't know they existed but happened to be on Gamestop website (don't hate me, I was only looking I swear ;) ) then ordered them (ok, hate me, I did buy something from GS)
Eh, I still go to GS from time to time, but mostly to get old gen used games that are tough to find other places. They also have good sales from time to time.

I grabbed the LE from Best Buy, that GCU discount has been so great. $72 for that LE as opposed to $90. Now I just have to finish Yakuza 4 and 5 so I can play it. :)

God of War is the first actual test of my "no buying games" resolution. I love the series so much.

I decided to replay the old ones and hope that that satiates me.

EWolfmanD

Phantom Thieves
Eh, I still go to GS from time to time, but mostly to get old gen used games that are tough to find other places. They also have good sales from time to time.

I grabbed the LE from Best Buy, that GCU discount has been so great. $72 for that LE as opposed to $90. Now I just have to finish Yakuza 4 and 5 so I can play it. :)
I was going to get the LE, but it was unavailable from Amazon for a while when I was pre-ordering it. Looks like it's back now, but I already pre-ordered it on PSN to get the copy of Yakuza 0 too since I didn't have that.

Purple Santa

I was going to get the LE, but it was unavailable from Amazon for a while when I was pre-ordering it. Looks like it's back now, but I already pre-ordered it on PSN to get the copy of Yakuza 0 too since I didn't have that.
I decided to look at Amazon again. They still had it, so I ordered it from them. I didn't pick up my copy from GS (they didn't call to pick up so their loss), I'd rather it just wait for me on my porch.

The Yakuza 5 plot summary I am watching is all the cut scenes. The total time for this is over 5 hrs. This might be my gaming for the week :rolleyes:

Did they do more Undertale? I barely recognized any of that.
Alas, that was all the Undertale they did. There's a nice Chrono Trigger/Cross medley and a performance of To Zanarkand that I'll post later. I didn't bother recording the Zelda/Mario/Metroid ones since they do those most shows. If I'd known I could have recorded earlier in the show, I'd have recorded the Megaman medley since that was a new piece.

Purple Santa

Anyone play the remastered Yakuza 1 game? Watching all the video summaries, I am tempted to see how improved the game is on the PS4. Do I really need to play a game that I have already played and now watched a video summary of...probably not. If I have that kind of gaming time I should put it to better use. Still...it's Yakuza. Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?

TheKeck

FORTY POSTS PER PAGE!
Alas, that was all the Undertale they did. There's a nice Chrono Trigger/Cross medley and a performance of To Zanarkand that I'll post later. I didn't bother recording the Zelda/Mario/Metroid ones since they do those most shows. If I'd known I could have recorded earlier in the show, I'd have recorded the Megaman medley since that was a new piece.
Well that's too bad. A lot of Undertale music is so iconic.
Anyone play the remastered Yakuza 1 game? Watching all the video summaries, I am tempted to see how improved the game is on the PS4. Do I really need to play a game that I have already played and now watched a video summary of...probably not. If I have that kind of gaming time I should put it to better use. Still...it's Yakuza. Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?
Don't ask me! I quit the one Yakuza game I tried after the first 5 minutes of gameplay and 57 hours of cutscenes. :p

Last edited:
Top Bottom