Valve Punts on Moderation

Mot Wakorb

47 Friendly Fires
https://steamed.kotaku.com/valve-says-it-will-now-allow-everything-on-steam-unles-1826612274

Apparently Valve has decided it's time to get out of the moderation game. This looks like a case of "Damned if you do, Damned if you don't" - so Valve punted completely and is no longer moderating unless they have to by law. They are putting tools in place to hide content you wish to stay away from, but I can see this turning into a Youtube-like problem where something that is supposed to be totally safe is hardly safe. We shall see.

TheKeck

FORTY POSTS PER PAGE!
Hmmm, interesting. I guess the school shooter game already got the axe, though.

Will there be a filter for excluding future school shooting games? :p

TheKeck

FORTY POSTS PER PAGE!
They are putting tools in place to hide content you wish to stay away from
I know. I read that. I still doubt there will be a "hide school shooting games" filter. That was my point. ;)

In other words, I'm not sure that these filters can possibly be granular and specific enough to meet everyone's desires. But, oh well. Like you say, it's kind of a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation.

Stoke

Act. Like. A. Dove.
I'm a fan of this decision. Valve has already proven they aren't great at filtering games themselves so them leaving it up to the user is the best option available.

muddi900

Blasphemous Outlaw Ranger
Eventually, a shareholder is going to ask Activision CEO why his game is being sold right next to Burn the N**** Simulator 2000.

Given that Steam has no real competition, It might lead to Activision just pulling out of the PC Market. Valve will have to make this decision whether they like it or not.

Top Bottom