Trumpocalypse Now

I've been overseas for the past week, and the responses to our dipshit president have varied from, "Why do you tolerate him?" to "Does anyone take him seriously?" to "Holy shit I hope your president doesn't blow up the planet."

I will say, the reaction has often been one of it being the fault of the American people. When I try and explain the GOP support, they look at me like I'm crazy. They thought is, if everyone knows he so horrible and unstable, why is he still in power? I shrug.

muddi900

Blasphemous Outlaw Ranger
I've been overseas for the past week, and the responses to our dipshit president have varied from, "Why do you tolerate him?" to "Does anyone take him seriously?" to "Holy shit I hope your president doesn't blow up the planet."

I will say, the reaction has often been one of it being the fault of the American people. When I try and explain the GOP support, they look at me like I'm crazy. They thought is, if everyone knows he so horrible and unstable, why is he still in power? I shrug.

Are you visiting China or Cuba? Because every democracy has had a Trump.

The place where Golden Dawn roams free?
"Roams free" is a bit of an overstatement, according to the people I've spoken to. Granted, they've been left-leaning working class so take that with a grain of salt. I'm positive if we had a parliamentary system in the US we'd have a fair representation of our own Golden Dawn in power.

The discussions I've had have sprung from seeing lots of political graffiti in Athens and talking with people about the politics of revolt and striking, etc. At least to the people I've spoken to, the Russian interference thing seems like a big deal, and Trump's maniacal rantings seem to be far even for the Greeks. Plus, the little news they get about protests in the US makes it seem like they are more anti-Trump than pro-cause (which is debatable). So the thought is lunatic president + mass protests = getting said president out of power.

On the small islands, nothing seems to matter. On a particularly small island I saw a piece of graffiti that said, "Antifa Zone" and asked our Airbnb host about it. Turns out her brother-in-law is pretty right wing and she thinks he's a supporter of Golden Dawn (though she was quick to point out he married an Albanian).

Anyway, it's interesting to see the US from afar whenever I leave. I'm not sure how you feel about it muddi, since you have solid roots in two countries as well (especially considering Pakistan's recent elections).

muddi900

Blasphemous Outlaw Ranger
Elections in Pakistan are ceremonial at best. $1.8B ceremony to elect the Army's latest pet, this time with a Trumpian mission to drain the swamp and improve the deficit and whatever.

Of course, Pakistan is a special case; the corruption isn't top down, but bottom up. I doubt any democratic government, whether with an earned or imposed mandate, can solve that.

Top Bottom