Trumpocalypse Now

digitalErich

Mathematical!
Looks like we don't even need dog whistles anymore. We've moved onto naked, open hate. I look forward to more op-eds about how his supporters, after this, just need to be understood, respected, met in the middle.

muddi900

Blasphemous Outlaw Ranger
ICE is a Law Enforcement Agency. Law Enforcement Agencies are bureaucracies. Bureaucrats are always self-serving, because most believe their goal is the noblest one in government or they are promotion weasels. So it's no wonder when given carte blanche, they fumble catastrophically

Wouldn't it be funny if, in the end, it was Ox that saved democracy (or at least our tattered version of it)?

(I know he said he's not on those cases but still, lemme dream)

digitalErich

Mathematical!
WOOF, usually not one to hang on minor goofs, but this one... This should sink a GOP politician if even a modicum of their base's patriotism is real.

You can see Kim thinking "dog, I don't think you're supposed to be doing that"

Hannity, later today: "Folks, it was obvious that the President was giving him the old 'down-low-too-slow' to assert US dominance in the proceedings"

rein

Colonist
WOOF, usually not one to hang on minor goofs, but this one... This should sink a GOP politician if even a modicum of their base's patriotism is real.
There is no GOP. It is the Trump party now. BTW, did you know his "rocketman" tweets were a well laid out plan to get Kim Jong-un
to talk? It's true. Trump said he hated doing it but it was part of his plan. Those guys would make great Xbox Live friends. I'm actually laughing thinking that our President would get banned from XBL for racism and other behavior.

I never would have thought that the day would come when I would seriously begin to wish I were NOT American. That I had been born in a different country. That my love for my own country would start to slowly vanish. I haven't given up completely, but if things don't change soon I may just decide "fuck this place" and move to Canada.

Ravenlock

Thx for the scarf, Sadie!
I try hard to keep in mind that he lost the popular vote by millions and almost certainly disgusted millions more enough to not vote at all; it is still a minority of us driving and supporting this travesty.

But far too large a minority, and we've been far too unsuccessful at stopping them, so it's cold comfort, and will be no comfort at all if we can't figure out how to do better fast.

It's not a minority. It's one of two parties that run this nation.

To believe that this isn't the core of the GOP and just an anomaly is to think that suddeny these policies and ideals dropped from the sky and will be swooped up again once Trump is out. This isn't the Republican Party sliding into an abyss. It's the GOP reaching its pinnacle.

Stoke

Act. Like. A. Dove.
Also, not voting doesn't wash your hands of responsibility. Not minding that he's in power isn't any better than actively supporting him. The number of people that either supported him or didn't care is certainly not a minority.

F089C282-93B8-4752-ACCB-DA1DF021EC03.jpeg
This is the President of the United States undermining the government of one of our most important allies, in addition to spreading nationalist ideals. To say we're beyond the looking glass is an understatement.

And again, tying into my earlier post: the GOP has the ability to curb or stop this. They won't.

W/ regards to functionally kidnapped children in cages, both Trump and Sessions..."I wouldn't have to do these things if you just give me what I want."

This is the language of wife beaters, fuck the GOP from top to bottom and anyone that still supports them still and for the next decade. Enough time and events have transpired that all of this is just what the GOP is now.

evilgoodwin

Abomination Unto Nuggan
I shuddered when I realized what that fucker meant when "The Democrats are responsible for this," spewed from his hate orifice.

It wasn't that he meant that the Democrats created the laws that did this.

It's that they won't agree to his fucking wall to end this. He is literally holding children hostage to make Democrats look bad for not giving that fuck his stupid god damn wall. It's a shitty political Saw movie with the stance of "You can make this end, just cut off your foot."

Fuck Trump.

To believe that this isn't the core of the GOP and just an anomaly is to think that suddeny these policies and ideals dropped from the sky and will be swooped up again once Trump is out. This isn't the Republican Party sliding into an abyss. It's the GOP reaching its pinnacle.
I think the problem is those in the GOP that kept the others from being so open about their agenda have to fall in line now or find a new line of work. Look at the primary results. It's clear that Trump has taken over the GOP and molded it into his party. Or maybe he is the poster child for what many in the GOP have wanted all along.

Either way this president could end up with a Nobel Peace Prize. How fucked up is that?

civil, I am not really arguing but explaining why I believe he has bullied his way into taking over the GOP.

He did face some opposition when he first took office. Remember when he insisted he was going to repeal Obamacare? Some Republicans were willing to fight. He has also had some outliers more recently that opposed him and they quickly lost their primary to those that were all aboard the Trump train. Then you have a few people like Laura Bush. I don't know. Maybe the majority were Trump-like in hiding and now are free to let their true flag fly.

muddi900

I mean CPAC 2016 pretty much avoided his name.

Trump is GOP now. Whether Trump is America, depends on if Democrat voters turn out for mid-terms. Even then Trumpism is not gong away. If Trump is impeached tomorrow, the people who voted for him are not going away. The country needs to deal with the fact that a signifcant population of us saw Trump and chose him.

Exodus

Bully Hunter
I mean CPAC 2016 pretty much avoided his name.

Trump is GOP now. Whether Trump is America, depends on if Democrat voters turn out for mid-terms. Even then Trumpism is not gong away. If Trump is impeached tomorrow, the people who voted for him are not going away. The country needs to deal with the fact that a signifcant population of us saw Trump and chose him.
Is this even true though? If you went by majority instead of actual seats/states won by trump didn't he actually lose?

Yeah, it owns that while a majority of Americans support more liberal policies in general, even after Trump we'll continue to be held hostage by a coincidence of geography and gov structure that over-amplifies the reach of conservatives.

Ravenlock

To be clear, I am aware of the size and influence of the Republican party, obviously, and agree that it's been at this point mostly-to-completely taken over by Trump simply by virtue of having won and nobody who hasn't already quit being willing to stand up to him.

But by population percentage, 24% of Americans identify as Republican. That is not a majority. Barely half of our citizens vote, and 3 million less than half of those that DID vote voted for Trump. That is not a majority.

I am not saying that harnessing those numbers is trivial or even necessarily possible, but it's simply not factual that anything like a majority of Americans voted for this administration or support the party behind it. The Democrats can't say much better, but they aren't the ones caging kids right now, so.

muddi900

A quarter of the population is ‘significant’, which is what I said.

I also mentioned voter turn out. Given the dysfunctional, adversarial and incompetent way the government is being run would have lead to a disolution of the legislature and new elections in any other democracy. If Americans, with the world’s most sophisticated media and information infrastructure, still decide to remain home on election day, then it is tantamount to an endorsement to Donald Trump.

Given trends, that is unlikely. What is more likely that the tariffs blow up in the whole party’s face and GOP voters don’t go to the polls. However, 5 months is a long time.

Ravenlock

I would seriously question the claim that we have the world's most sophisticated media and information infrastructure, or at least I'd certainly say that whatever its level of sophistication, that doesn't equate to it being effective. Americans are shockingly uninformed on just about any topic you can name, according to pretty much every form of polling. Whether that's by choice, deliberate misinformation, or other causes is a valid debate, but we are not an informed populace, much as I wish that we were.

VerseD

Wyrd bið ful aræd
Nothing like a controversy to get people to inform themselves (though unfortunately there are plenty of alternative facts available). Especially when it comes to immigration, people tend to have wildly inaccurate ideas: overestimating numbers and public costs and criminality, underestimating workforce participation and economic benefits, and somehow remaining blind to the often horrific circumstances from which people are fleeing and to which, in the President's words, "we're sending them the hell back." Interaction with even a single immigrant person tends to dispel many of these misconceptions.

Top Bottom