[PS4] Detroit: Become Human

Did anyone play this? On a whim I ordered it, thinking that it'll be the game to take me through the summer break. Reviews habe skewed toward positive.

jpublic

Threadslayer
My favorite streamer did a run through. David Cage's particular brand of game/art/storytelling has never been my thing, but even I'll admit it's probably their best work in every respect.

Oy. I just played through the first "mission." Love the style, but damn the tank controls. What the Keck is this Keck?

Dealing with jet-lag, I put a lot of hours into this over the weekend. Now fully loving it. Definitely an interactive novel, but it's got its hooks into me

TheKeck

FORTY POSTS PER PAGE!
A bunch of people around here, (I think mostly on the Discord actually), were mercilessly mocking the lack of subtlety in the game. I actually don't see what the big deal was. I guess I'm honestly interested in your take. Was the allegory overly ham-fisted? Did it detract from the experience?

As compared to what? Other video games? Compared to what I've played, it's practically Joycean. I'm strictly a console gamer, so maybe the PC world has more depth than I'm aware of.

No offense to video game writers, but they are--generally--not of the highest caliber. But that's because writing is a side note. Other than story and basic plot points, I don't think video game makers put much effort into the actual content of their games. It's a medium that favors visuals and gameplay over writing, and there's nothing wrong with that. In fact, it has to favor that to succeed.

To your question: I don't think it detracts at all. Granted, I don't know how far in I am but so far the allegory (though often cheesy) has held up well with the gameplay.

When a game attempts to do more with the material than their peers, I applaud it. Is it subtle? No. But for a video game it works well.

I should add that I find it particularly laughable given some of the books that are touted round these parts. I couldn't bear to read ten pages of most of what is praised. Different strokes!

muddi900

Blasphemous Outlaw Ranger
I mean the game is about race relations in America, so it can't be subtle. However, given David Cage's track record, it has no chance.

BTW, y'all should watch Blindspotting if you really want something interesting on the subject. Or Sorry to Bother You, if you want something unique. Both are in theaters right now. Oakland is a sad place.

It's actually more than just race relations. I would assume that those saying it's just about that either didn't actually play the game, or have very little sense of history. I'll lump you into the former, muddi. ;)

Finished the game (this is the longest bout of jet-lag I've ever had) at 2:00 this morning. Loved it, absolutely. Will be thinking about the game, and its characters, for much longer than most games I play. Again, I'm strictly a console gamer, but this has been the most emotionally investing game I've played in a while. See my comments above re: subtlety and gaming in general.

Going to see Sorry to Bother You tonight. Been looking forward to it.

TheKeck

FORTY POSTS PER PAGE!
It's actually more than just race relations. I would assume that those saying it's just about that either didn't actually play the game, or have very little sense of history. I'll lump you into the former, muddi. ;)
Yeah, the people I saw dogging it were going off of screenshots on Twitter and the like. ;)

muddi900

Blasphemous Outlaw Ranger

Finished the game (this is the longest bout of jet-lag I've ever had) at 2:00 this morning. Loved it, absolutely. Will be thinking about the game, and its characters, for much longer than most games I play. Again, I'm strictly a console gamer, but this has been the most emotionally investing game I've played in a while. See my comments above re: subtlety and gaming in general.

Going to see Sorry to Bother You tonight. Been looking forward to it.
I have played Farenheidt and the Press X to Jason game. David Cage has the 'prestige TV' veneer to his work; it assumes that just alluding to something smart makes it smart. Even if I accept your premise it is great literature compared to other games, well it reminds me of this:

Top Bottom