[Pokémon general] Let me show you my pokemans.

Welp, as of yesterday I have a copy of Pokemon Y, and later today, I'll have a 2DS.

I was going to try and get hold of a n3DS, but I just couldn't find one for a good price.

What I did find was that one of the local electronics chains is clearing out Animal Crossing: New Leaf bundles for only 100€ though, which was a pretty hard price to pass up given that's what the console alone would've cost me used.

Oh my God, oh my god oh my god.

This is like dream Pokemans. And I've already had good luck with WT: put in a lvl3 Caterpie and got a lvl29 Psyduck. :O

Oh man, there is so much more coming for you. I wouldn't play pokemon without a strategically placed towel, if I was you.
:D

Pokemon Amie alone has probably occupied more time than *actual play*. I had to buy my wife her own 2DS and a copy of X partly because as soon as she got to try it on my game, she got instantly hooked. :D

To try and give her some room until she catches up I checked out Pokemon Shuffle, and man is that kind of a bummer. It is a textbook example of something that's actually a pretty good game, but needlessly hamstrung by greedy F2P-ness. :(

Gonna try Rumble World next. See how that is.

Ink Asylum

The cavalry's here!
I picked up Pokemon X a couple months ago after having been out of the Pokemon game since Gold/Silver. About halfway through, though, I lost interest and went back to playing Animal Crossing.

It's definitely a well-made game and I can recognize how friendly it was to new players, or players like me who hadn't played in a long time. It looked gorgeous and the new pokemon were really cute and clever.

I think the core gameplay just isn't for me. I've never been a number-cruncher when it comes to RPGs, so I'm not going to think too much about building an amazing team or figuring out why this pokemon is better than that one. I largely picked the ones that were endearing to me and tried to keep several different types in my party so I could trump when needed, but about halfway through the game it just felt routine and dull. I had a few heavy hitters that could stomp most everyone while the others were around to gain the shared XP and get called out when their type would be useful.

At that point there just wasn't anything to keep me coming back to the game. The story is as light as it gets and from what I can tell essentially the same as every other Pokemon game just with the names and places changed. Nor am I interested in the multiplayer.

I can fully recognize that for someone for whom the gameplay clicks this is an amazing title, but now I know I'm not the audience. Which is kind of a bummer because I'm a huge Nintendo fan, love the artwork, and was pretty obsessed with the franchise way back when Red/Blue released and the anime premiered in America, so I was really hoping it'd draw me back in. I even visited the Pokemon Center when I was in Japan and picked up some figurines of my favorite Pokemon.

So definitely nothing against the game, and I'm glad to see you guys enjoying it so well. I'll just tangentially enjoy what it brings to gaming without playing it myself.

Dav Slinker

Oh, and hey, by the way
This was a very lengthy, convoluted way to say you don't play pokemon anymore.

To address your concerns re: complexity - I don't do the hardcore stuff like EV training or breeding, myself. I just assemble a team of pokemon who I think I like and play the game. I'd get murdered if I went competitive play (half my team is weak to psychic, two others to electricity), but you can just be a casual player. It's never been about the "perfect" team for me. It's about MY team.

You could always jump back in for fun.

Ink Asylum

The cavalry's here!
Consider it a mini-review. It's not like I'm trashing the game or anything. It was just on my mind while reading the thread and thought I'd write it down.

So my wife is finally getting her own 2DS and a copy of X today, which means I can finally get back to playing the main game without making her jealous. :D I only have myself to blame, I am the one who finally convinced her to try the games. XD

It's weird too: something about them being all 3D and animated and adorable this time makes me actually want to try for a complete Pokedex. Every time I see a new one I'm like "Yup, gotta catch that."

Speaking of which, I need to try and catch an Abra today ...

Also, how do we go about adding friends in the PSS? Is it based on Nintendo ID/friend code or what? Anyone still playing want to friendify?

So many pokemans!

I more or less have a team now but I keep wanting to try different pets but liking all the ones I have, even though as a team there's some fairly glaring weaknesses (in particular, anything electric I'm kinda fucked against because half my team is weak to it).

Also, I have a Thunderstone now, but I don't know if I want to evolve Pikachu and lose the adorable voiceover. XD

Also holy fuck is everyone on the GTS completely fucking delusional?

The trade offers I get when I search for even the most innocuous of critters are absurd.

Fubl

Colonist
Necro Thread...... So just started playing again after the infusion of pokemon go craziness sat down and have been playing on new 3ds after getting rid of my 2ds( couldnt hold it right)

Fubl

Colonist
Anyone who sends magikarps over wonder trades should be beat..... Sitting about 300 pokemon in national index need to play pokemon black/white so i can get the poke transfer lab to transfer more up to that stage....

Dav Slinker

Oh, and hey, by the way
Yeah, my boy! I'm all up on it. Started the Nuzlocke and it's going well. Got lucky enough to catch a gastly, which are a fucking pain to level early game because their damage is shit and there's a ton of normal types running around.

Fubl

Colonist
Ive gotten decent trades not a million rattata even though thats what i put up on wonder trade, Yes i was that guy i am actually going to try and catch everything i encounter and trade it away.
thje only thing i do not like right now is the Call for help thing for the mobs.... I literally put down 10+ zubats in one fight.....

and has anyone ever stated how much they dislike the friend code thing for nintendo products

Last edited by a moderator:

Stoke

Act. Like. A. Dove.
I've heard a lot of complaints about the call for help mechanic but I haven't run into it much yet since I'm only 5 hours into it. I will say I'm glad I picked Litten as my starter since it seems to have a type advantage for most of the first island.

KamaItachi

Always ready!
Only put a few hours in so far. First Pokemon game I've played in maybe 10 years...

Took a pass on Litten, that final form just makes me think of a Thundercat character from the 90's. Rowlett has been doing fine for me so far.

I like that they've kept mostly to gen 1 monsters, but given you a much wider variety early on. No more funnelling you through a gauntlet of terrible scrub Pokemon for hours until you get something of note.

Fubl

Colonist
I'm questioning the second form of the rowlet but looking at the first isle and what the starters are you can not go wrong. Deffinetly get the magenite at the trainer school makes life so easy with all the bird pokemon.

The three pokemon I could solve most of the fights on first isle where rowlet vs the fighters and waters. Magenite against flyers. And winggull against everything else really.

Last edited by a moderator:

Stoke

Act. Like. A. Dove.
Fuck sakes, that water challenge had me gasping. I'd definitely recommend stocking up on healing items for that one, lads.
The one where you're riding a Lapras? Petilil got me through that one pretty quick.

Also, holy shit the call for help mechanic has really kicked in. I'm fully on board the "annoying as hell" train.

Dav Slinker

Oh, and hey, by the way
The one where you're riding a Lapras? Petilil got me through that one pretty quick.

Also, holy shit the call for help mechanic has really kicked in. I'm fully on board the "annoying as hell" train.
Yeah, but I'm in the Nuzlocke so I didn't get to pick and choose my allies. If I hadn't been lucky enough to roll Rowlett as my starter I think it would have been a wipe.

Dav Slinker

Oh, and hey, by the way
Just looked that up. You're a better trainer than I.
The challenge is intoxicating. The lows are much lower, but the highs? Good God the highs. I'd recommend it, though you'd probably have more success first attempt in a Pokemon game you're familiar with and know when key battles are happening plus gym types/Pokemon etc.

The challenge is negated by power-grinding, though. It's always an option.

Fubl

Colonist
Never thought abras would be trade trash but it's happening. So far have 56 caught pokemon in Dex plenty more screen but not vrabbed need to find more we codes to find the hidden Pokemon's

Stoke

Act. Like. A. Dove.
Nearly had my first wipe fighting the rival. The fight caught me off guard when I was trying to level a Sylveon and his first pokemon was a
Raichu with Psychic
that one shot nearly my entire team as soon as they subbed in. Clearly there are some major differences for some older pokemon because I was not expecting that type combo.

Fubl

Colonist
Alrighty The ultras just came out so if anyone wants to do any trading and such. Have not started them hell have not even finished either sun or moon so trying to figure out where i want to begin

Top Bottom