Persona 5

Odd, am I right in understanding there is no thread for this?

Got this the other day, and it's...unique. IIRC, I've never played a Persona game before so many of the underlying concepts are unknown to me (assuming certain things carry over from game to game).

Any Persona game veterans care to explain Confidants and Arcana to me in layman's terms? I thought they were party members, but...well, I think it's more than that. And what are Arcana? How does this all fit into my Persona characters?

Liking the game so far, but I had no idea they were turn-based battles. On the one hand, I enjoy the strategy. On the other that means going through the same cut scene a bazillion times once a battle is over. Oy. You'd think we'd be beyond that by now!

Confidants are the little side characters/stories in the game. These characters can be in your party, but they dont have to be.

As you do things with them, your rank in each confidant goes up. The increased ranks provide bonuses in combat and throughout the game.

So I can use their powers even if they are not in my party? Sounds great if that's the case. I haven't played for very long (I have a feeling I'm still in the tutorial stage), so this may be explained better later on. So far it's pretty much holding me by the hand, so it might make sense when I have an opportunity to use these abilities beyond what I'm told.

Oy. This is not a pick-up-and-play game. You have to make sure you have at least 45 minutes or so free to play before diving in. I'd forgotten about the love of lengthy conversations Japanese developers seem to have. And the yelling! My god, why does everyone go from 1 to 100 at the drop of a hat?

jpublic

Threadslayer
There are two types of Confidants (or Social Links).

The first are your party members. Boosting their ranks gives them special abilities in combat like curing party members of aliments, surviving death blows, or even saving the main character from death. At max level, their Persona transforms into a new greater one.

The second are mostly story based, and give you special abilities to save time, boosts for adventuring, better vendors, and more.

Either way, as you level up a Confidant, you get bonus experience to Persona of that Arcana you fuse. At max level it unlocks a special Persona, the ultimate of that Arcana.

Stupid question: what is an Arcana? It seems like it's a confidant at times, then at others it seems like a Persona. Then at others it seems like an ability.

Signed,

Confused in NYC

An arcana is basically the base class type of a persona, and it will match up with a confidant. For example Ann is of the lovers arcana, as it's her persona's arcana. I'm not sure that they share class skills or anything, so the main reason to care is that having an arcana that matches the confidant you spend time with gives you a slight bonus to their leveling process when you spend time with them. It doesn't need to be the equipped persona, just in your current active inventory of personas.

Ah. I think I'm beginning to understand. Kind of. It might be a question of experience, as so far (without wanting to spoil I just fought alongside Ann) I haven't had much need to fully grasp/utilize that mechanic. Maybe it will make more sense once I'm given the opportunity/presented with the need to actually make use of the Arcana aspect.

I only pay attention to the arcana insofar as I need a specific one to boost a social link. I never pay attention to the arcana when deciding which personas to take into battle outside of making sure I have access to all elemental attacks. There might be more to it that I'm missing, but it has seemed completely arbitrary to me at this point after about eighty hours. Though this is my first Persona game. I wouldn't worry about it too much until you get a bit further.

jpublic

Threadslayer
Arcana is a few things in the game.

First, every Persona in the game is assigned to an Arcana.

Second, each of your team members or Confidants resonates with an Arcana. That means when you're trying to spend time with them, you should carry a persona of that Confidants Arcana - your rank increases will come faster that way.

Third, when fusing Persona, both of the parents Arcana will determine the Arcana of the child. For example, A+B=C, whereas A+C=D.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

I just fussed my fist Arcana last night...

And it made no sense. I just mixed ones until I saw I got an Arcana bonus. But the creature I created was kind of weak.

Thanks for the replies everyone!

Sent from a phone so please forgive any errors and factual misrepresentations.

jpublic

Threadslayer
There's charts on the web which will tell you what Arcana you get based on the two sources. Usually, the result is higher level than the sources, but not always.

The bonus you got was a result of leveling up the rank of the Confidant relationship that corresponds to that resulting Arcana. It only comes into play once the fusion is complete - free XP for your new Persona.

As a rule, don't fuse up all your persona. You want to maintain a good spread of abilities so you can cover weaknesses.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:

Fubl

Colonist
so I am about 30 hours into this taking a slight break more because works been stressful and i want a game that is mind numbing and not making me think. One thing this game makes me want to do is just play more rpgs

menage

Praise the sun!
I put this down for a while as well. I love it but it really doesnt respect my time with the savespots being really unpredictable and jumps in difficulty.

I've been having a hard time getting into this as well. There's not much RPG in this JRPG. Granted, I've only just defeated the first bad guy (and started my first few journeys into mementos), but it does feel like I'm on rails. It's very tedious, what with the "you only get to do one thing per day" limits. I thought it would be more open world. It's very confined. Very restrained. I'm missing my WRPG build-your-own-life experience. I felt like HZD was more of an RPG.

Gorvi

You're not my supervisor!
Persona is not going to give you your open world fix. You play through a linear story, the choices come in what personas you decide to use/fuse and how you choose to spend your days. Sure, you get a few dialogue options, but those essentially boil down to getting different responses. If you don't want to play through a story with JRPG battles and social interactions it's really not going to change if past games are any indication.

Hmm. Good to know. I'll temper my expectations and see how it feels from that point.

JayK47

Colonist
I was hesitant to grab this game. I loved P3 and P4, so you would think I would have grabbed this day one. Well P3 and P4 were both 100+ hour games and P5 is no different. I just don't have the game time I used to and playing a 100+ hour game can take me 3+ months to finish it. I also did not like the art style when looking at previews. Well I finally grabbed it last winter on sale and finally started it this summer. I am maybe 75% of the way through it. Wow. I am glad I picked it up. The art style makes sense once you start to play it. The game is oozing with style and when you are not playing it, the music is stuck in your head. I love the setting, the characters, the combat and every damn main and side mission. It is crazy how much fun this game is. I will miss the game when I am done with it. It could be the first Persona game I play more than once. Perhaps it is good that this game takes so long, since I have been getting tired of most of the other game series out there. If it takes half a year to play this game, it will be a good year.

The art is one of the things that sold me on it. Although I always hear people talk about how great the music is, and while I enjoy it, there's not enough variety. I've heard the same two songs through my 70 hours so far. Maybe it's just that those two are so prominent that they're the only ones I notice, but if I had one gripe about the game (other than the save system), it would be the lack of variety in the music. What they have is good, but especially in Mementos that same song over, and over, and over, and over gets very tedious.

jpublic

Threadslayer
My problem with P5 has been one of the central themes - abuse of power, specifically the use of it to persecute someone unjustly. That's one of the things I am *deathly* afraid of. Makes it a bit hard to play sometimes.

muddi900

Blasphemous Outlaw Ranger
I haven't played the game, only seen my brother play it. The game really does not like the Japanese judicial system.

JayK47

Colonist
Wrapped this up. Impressive game from start to finish. I may New Game + this one at some point.

Top Bottom