PAX Prime 2015

Psykoboy2

Enigma Of The Mystical
PAX EAST 2015 was the last time they'll do 4-day passes. It's now all individual day passes from here on out.

Except maybe for PAX South - they're tiny.

Fri's & Sat's seem to intermittently show up (but only 1 at a time), probably people dumping out of queue? But yeah, generally speaking we're down to Mon's left...

Psykoboy2

Enigma Of The Mystical
Yep. All gone within an hour. Friday, Saturday, and Sunday sold out in like 30 mintues, with Monday taking just a short time longer.

Mot Wakorb

47 Friendly Fires
Starting to think my run of going to PAX Prime is over. It's quite discouraging to see the tix sell out so fast and never have a shot due to having a day job. Happy for those that got in but I think I'm out from here on out.

But this is the best way! There is no better solution than randomly letting people know tickets are on sale via twitter.

Ink Asylum

The cavalry's here!
There is just no good way to do it for an event that's this popular. Every method has its upsides and its downsides.

We just fundamentally disagree on this. At the very least, I'd like to see them change it just to try something else. We've seen how this goes. Lets do it another way.

Ink Asylum

The cavalry's here!
No matter the method it will never change the proportion of people that will miss out on getting tickets, it'll just somewhat change the reason those people miss out. Any argument about which method is more "fair" is strictly subjective.

In fact, the one change they made this year, to stop selling 4-day passes, is one of the few that will likely increase potential attendance, since they noticed that 4-day pass owners don't always use all 4 days, so they weren't maximizing their potential attendance.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ink Asylum

The cavalry's here!
PAX Prime has been 4 day the last year or two. Another attempt to alleviate the pressure, but it didn't do much.

Psykoboy2

Enigma Of The Mystical
Those looking for something less crowded or with easier access to tickets - PAX South. I doubt it'll last long but there was less of a crowd there and tickets only sold out about a week before the event.

Also, if you missed out on tickets but still want to go, you should go. There is ALWAYS someone outside the convention center trying to offload tickets, usually without much of an increase in the price.

Mot Wakorb

47 Friendly Fires
Yeah, I knew what you're saying Scott, I'm just overextended now and tired of trying when I know I'll lose. As it is, I'm in San Francisco now the week of PAX for VMworld. That's paid by the company so it isn't a loss for me ;)

Datul

Warren Is My Wingman
I missed out on the registration, but can still get a hotel. Any chance anyone here got an extra badge they're willing to part with? I don't want to trip up from Atl without knowing I'd be able to attend. Every 4 years or so this doesn't conflict with DragonCon and I have been able to do both in 07 and 11, love to come up again this time around!

Ink Asylum

The cavalry's here!
What's the contradiction?

People complain about scalping but I don't see what's wrong with his reasoning that most suggested changes will result in either more scalping or huge inconveniences for fans at the show.

Anyone can sign up to have twitter messages from the Official_Pax account sent as text messages to your phone.

What's the contradiction?

People complain about scalping but I don't see what's wrong with his reasoning that most suggested changes will result in either more scalping or huge inconveniences for fans at the show.

Anyone can sign up to have twitter messages from the Official_Pax account sent as text messages to your phone.
"Scalping is barely a thing!" "We can't change because of scalping!"

It was just something that amused me, really.

TheKeck

FORTY POSTS PER PAGE!

I guess I can see that. I wonder if part of his point is that what they do currently is mostly effective at reducing scalping.

Also, a question for people who have actually tried to get tickets. Is it simply a matter of getting in quick enough? Or is it like so many other systems that get bogged down by the load, so you end up getting a bunch of webpage errors and never successfully complete an order before time runs out?

Psykoboy2

Enigma Of The Mystical
Quick enough. Always quick enough. Never had a problem with the site before at all.

Also, media registration opens tomorrow so if I get approved for that I'll have extra passes to whomever would need them.

Ink Asylum

The cavalry's here!

Or: Scalping is currently very low thanks to their process and changing the process would increase scalping so that it would no longer be less than 1%.

No contradiction there.

I guess I can see that. I wonder if part of his point is that what they do currently is mostly effective at reducing scalping.
Oh, probably. It just came off as funny to me when I was reading it.

Or: Scalping is currently very low thanks to their process and changing the process would increase scalping so that it would no longer be less than 1%.

No contradiction there.
Yes, yes. Your admiration for Khoo and PA is noted.

Mot Wakorb

47 Friendly Fires

No contradiction there.
The only thought I have about the article is really that they seem closed-minded toward changing the system. If it truly is the best, great, if they don't necessarily know, why not try something different? How much will it hurt if you have 10x the amount of people trying to buy in?

TheKeck

FORTY POSTS PER PAGE!
The only thought I have about the article is really that they seem closed-minded toward changing the system. If it truly is the best, great, if they don't necessarily know, why not try something different? How much will it hurt if you have 10x the amount of people trying to buy in?
Is there some specific change you think they should make, either addressed in the interview or not, that you think they should try that would make things better?

Ink Asylum

The cavalry's here!
They've done 20 of them so they have a lot of experience and data, and it's not like they haven't tried different things. They've changed the amount of passes people can buy. They've tried announcing the date tickets go on sale at least once. This year they've eliminated 3-4 Day Passes.

As Khoo said, most other changes invite more scalping by giving them more time to prepare or game the system.

And with 5-10x the amount of people who want to go versus tickets available most of the suggestions people make won't increase the amount of fans who get to go. The only options left that won't increase scalping are switching venues, a very dramatic change, or suppressing demand by hiking up prices, which I can only imagine they'd be pilloried for and which they don't want to do anyway.

Too many people want to go, and yelling "Fix it!" doesn't mean there is actually a solution to the core problem.

Mot Wakorb

47 Friendly Fires
Is there some specific change you think they should make, either addressed in the interview or not, that you think they should try that would make things better?
I'd be interested in seeing what a lottery system would be like. Companies like Apple use it for their WWDC. Not saying its perfect, just interested to see if it would work.

Also, how does one get a text when certain accounts tweet?

Ink Asylum

The cavalry's here!
I'd be interested in seeing what a lottery system would be like. Companies like Apple use it for their WWDC. Not saying its perfect, just interested to see if it would work.
It'd be different. Some people would like it more, some would like it less. I can see Khoo's point about that being easier to game for scalpers, though.

Also, how does one get a text when certain accounts tweet?
Go to the page of an account you're following and there will be a gear icon in the upper right for various settings. Click that then click "turn mobile notifications on". Just a word of warning, don't have it on DURING a PAX, or your mobile notifications will get slammed. They don't sell tickets for an upcoming PAX during a different PAX, though, so just turn it on afterward.

Top Bottom