Mixed Martial Arts (UFC, Dream, Elite XC etc.)

You are kidding yourself if you think the WME sale is the reason for this. The UFC has been transitioning into sports entertainment for years now.

I'm fine with it as long as we see exciting matchups. I loved the Nate/Conor 2, I thought Bisping/Hendo was a great story even if Hendo didn't deserve a shot, and I 100% love Bisping vs GSP.

If the fighters don't let getting passed up despite being a killer in the division, maybe it's time to start learning to make yourself get noticed. It's not like this is anything new, it's just being pushed more.

I thought this weekends card was good. Nice to see Shogun winning again, even if he is much slower and can't seem to bounce like he used to thanks to all the knee injuries. Barboza gave us another highlight reel KO, and Gastelum is proving that he is going to be a threat to anyone at 185 and even 170 if he can get back there. I think that guy is championship material within a couple years. His one-two is fantastic and he seems to pop everyone with it until they don't know what to do but fall.

Belfort needs to go, and it sounds like he knows it. Saying that next fight will be his last, and he wants to start a "legends" league with older fighters, 3 minute rounds and longer rest times between rounds. I'd personally watch the shit out of that.

Lance Uppercut

BELIEVE IT, MOTHERFUCKER
You are kidding yourself if you think the WME sale is the reason for this. The UFC has been transitioning into sports entertainment for years now.

I'm fine with it as long as we see exciting matchups. I loved the Nate/Conor 2, I thought Bisping/Hendo was a great story even if Hendo didn't deserve a shot, and I 100% love Bisping vs GSP.

If the fighters don't let getting passed up despite being a killer in the division, maybe it's time to start learning to make yourself get noticed. It's not like this is anything new, it's just being pushed more.

I thought this weekends card was good. Nice to see Shogun winning again, even if he is much slower and can't seem to bounce like he used to thanks to all the knee injuries. Barboza gave us another highlight reel KO, and Gastelum is proving that he is going to be a threat to anyone at 185 and even 170 if he can get back there. I think that guy is championship material within a couple years. His one-two is fantastic and he seems to pop everyone with it until they don't know what to do but fall.

Belfort needs to go, and it sounds like he knows it. Saying that next fight will be his last, and he wants to start a "legends" league with older fighters, 3 minute rounds and longer rest times between rounds. I'd personally watch the shit out of that.
Oh, I agree that these problems began before WME. But in their quest to get a return on their investment, they're gonna accelerate their transition to "sports entertainment" to get more eyeballs on their product. There's nothing wrong with a little entertainment, but good fighters are getting passed up for fighters who are marketable. That's already backfired on them a couple of times so far (Rousey, Sage, PVZ).

Chael Sonnen mentioned in his podcast a couple of years ago that UFC fighters would do well to study old wrestling promos; Ric Flair, Jake Roberts, or Steve Austin are guys I would wanna study tape on. Without Joe Silva booking with an iron fist, a title shot is no longer guaranteed. Cutting a good promo (like Derrick Lewis did a few weeks ago) is now as essential as ever in the UFC.

edit: Since I'm talking about promos, here's my favorite UFC promo so far, coming from Nate Diaz:

Last edited by a moderator:

Lance Uppercut

BELIEVE IT, MOTHERFUCKER
Rumble's last fight and retirement left a sour taste in my mouth. Even worse was the fact that him coaches and team abandoned him as he was announcing his retirement. I get that they were probably pissed that Rumble didn't follow the game plan, but you don't leave the guy hanging when he's pouring his heart out like that.

On the other side of that, that was a damn good heel promo from DC. He's a pro wrestling fan, so I think he understands what he needs to do to sell himself, and he did a fine job of it.

And finally, fuck the NYSAC. Maybe they should reban MMA there until they can get their shit together.

Rumble didn't want to be there and was looking for a way out after the first 2 minutes. I wouldn't be surprised in the least if he put a big bet on DC to make some extra bank while he knew he was exiting from this game. For a guy who has been in the Octagon for that long, he has no fight IQ. If I was Hooft and his corner, I'd have left too. Trainers put a lot of effort and time into fighters and it seems a bit disrespectful to throw months of preparation away because you have no desire to fight.

That said, I'm happy the guy is stepping away on his own terms. Hopefully whatever it is he has planned will last him his lifetime, because the guy could still make some bank in the UFC if he actually wanted to be there.

The Weidman/Mousse situation was terrible, but did it not seem like Weidman was looking for a way out the second that knee hit? He didn't seem to concerned initially, but then threw his hand up on his eye like he was in agony hoping for a 5 minute rest. I hate people playing that hand game, it's basically baiting someone to throw an illegal strike. The new rules just made it worst now IMO. If the ref is out of position this same this is going to happen over and over.

Lance Uppercut

BELIEVE IT, MOTHERFUCKER
Please give DJ a proper fucking push now, UFC. You've got the P4P #1 on your roster and he's getting more exposure on his Twitch stream than from the company that employs him. Great fight from DJ; didn't make a single mistake, beat the black belt out of Reis, and submitted him promptly.

Rose surprised me tonight with the improvements she's made. I'm still not convinced she has anything for Joanna, though, but she's got enough heart to make it a scrap.

Good thing Jacare got paid before that loss. Bobby Knuckles made him look bad.

DJ is the best, but the problem is he fights people no one knows or cares about. For that reason, the UFC will never be able to market him until there are either viable opponents or he goes up to 135.

Rose surprised me too, I thought experience would edge this one, but her ability to keep distance when necessary was great and her striking was super clean. That kick off the break was slick and her back take was spectacular. Why is that head and arm choke so prevalent in women's mma still? Such a bad move to make in this sport.

Jacare did not look good on his feet and Whitaker exposed that. Impressive ability to stay on his feet too. Looking forward to see him in some more matchuips. Moose anyone?

Lance Uppercut

BELIEVE IT, MOTHERFUCKER
Anybody else watching boxing tonight?

I don't really know who to root for. I don't like Chavez Jr. because he's lazy and it besmirches that great name and what it's known for (intensity, pressure, numbing power). I don't like Canelo because he's been ducking GGG for the better part of the last 2 years, but I can at least respect his skills.

My prediction: Canelo will counter Chavez repeatedly and pick him apart despite being at a size and reach disadvantage. Chavez will tire in the last legs of the fight because of solid body work and lose by decision. Canelo will call out GGG yet again and more than likely duck him for another year while waiting for GGG to lose.

Edit: Got everything right except that last part. GGG came out to his music to interrupt the post-fight interview, cut a promo in his endearing broken Borat english, and both men said they would be fighting in September. It almost made up for that lopsided main event.

Lance Uppercut

BELIEVE IT, MOTHERFUCKER
Joanna is such a badass. Credit to Andrade for being incredibly tough and determined, but she got schooled for 5 straight rounds. Joanna's boxing is so clean; I haven't seen a jab in the UFC this crisp since GSP.

I like Stipe Miocic, he is a direct man. He could feel the heat from Dos Santos' leg kicks, so he opted to blitz him and finish the fight quickly. Maybe Dos Santos should opt to retire soon; he's taken so much punishment in his career.

The way Frankie Edgar smashed that young up and comer was amazing. I honestly thought Yair could give him a close fight, but Frankie just turned his face into hamburger and prompted a doctor stoppage.

Dare I say, this might be the best UFC PPV of the year so far.

Joanna is such a badass. Credit to Andrade for being incredibly tough and determined, but she got schooled for 5 straight rounds. Joanna's boxing is so clean; I haven't seen a jab in the UFC this crisp since GSP.

I like Stipe Miocic, he is a direct man. He could feel the heat from Dos Santos' leg kicks, so he opted to blitz him and finish the fight quickly. Maybe Dos Santos should opt to retire soon; he's taken so much punishment in his career.

The way Frankie Edgar smashed that young up and comer was amazing. I honestly thought Yair could give him a close fight, but Frankie just turned his face into hamburger and prompted a doctor stoppage.

Dare I say, this might be the best UFC PPV of the year so far.
Joanna "fights behind the jab" like DC said. No one else has been that effective with it. I'd argue GSP would be the best comparison and even he didn't use it as effectively, except for that clinic against Josh Koscheck that left his eye so messed up he couldn't fly home. She may be the best technical striker in mma right now.

I think JDS still has a lot of life in him, but he NEEDS to learn to change his game, because people have him figured out. Any good boxer who can cut the cage off will put JDS up against the fence where he seems to completely forget how to fight. He desperately tries to circle out once it's too late, and always ends up eating a hook or two. Against a guy like Miocic, you go to sleep.

I thought the change of camps to ATT would have had him focusing on this major flaw in his game. While it looks like they added some wonderful low leg kicks, he still moves directly backwards and never circles until it's too late.

Loved seeing Edgar show a youngun why you need a good wrestling game to be competitive. Yair has great style and kicking, but hard to use those to your advantage when you are being pummeled on your back. Still excited to see where he ends up as he's still very young and talented. He could be a big face for Mexico along with Gastelum and Velasquez if he can ever stay healthy.

Biggest disappointment was the god damn illegal knee game ruining another really exciting fight. Poirier and Alvarez were going off on each other in that second round. I hope they rebook that fight as soon as possible.

Lance Uppercut

BELIEVE IT, MOTHERFUCKER
Talk about a passing of the torch. Aldo did well in the first 2 rounds, but Max slowly picked up steam, and his taunting at the end of the 2nd signaled that he was ready to up the volume. That was a star-making performance.

And as much as I feel for Aldo, I love it when someone shuts a Brazilian crowd down to a hush. They need to have Max fight in Hawaii so he can get the reception he deserves.

I was confused at the lack of leg kicks, but my guess is Aldo was worried about max coming back with a quick counter.

Max looked great and at 25 the guy has a long career ahead of him. Thinking they do him and Edgar next which would be a great fight.

Shocked Belfort decided to stay on for another 5 fights, although if he's committed to training with Firas at Tristar he may be able to get some more miles out of his already lengthy career.

Lance Uppercut

BELIEVE IT, MOTHERFUCKER
I was confused at the lack of leg kicks, but my guess is Aldo was worried about max coming back with a quick counter.
This is correct. Aldo tried a leg kick in the 1st round and ate a 1-2 for his troubles. Never saw him throw another one after that.

I don't think the lack of leg kicks was his problem; he was visibly gassed by the end of the 2nd round. I don't know if he was coming off an injury and wasn't able to do cardio, or if the weight cut is really slowing him down now.

Vandabo

Guise srsly
Do people who know about this stuff think that McGregor can really compete in a strictly boxing-rules fight? I mean, other than any puncher's chance at a lucky shot, and his younger age, has McGregor ever shown that he has the boxing chops to compete with someone like Mayweather?

This always seemed like a big gimmick fight to me, for a huge payout for everyone involved, but I am interested in the outcome. I like a good gimmick every now and then.

Eh, anyone has a puncher's chance in a ring. There's also a 12 year age gap. Mayweather is older and slower than he used to be.

But yeah, I think experience will trump athleticism here and McGregor without his full tool kit in a boxing ring with arguably the best defensive boxer/point fighter ever in the sport, I expect it to be 12 boring rounds like any other Mayweather fight.

McGregor is brilliant. In less than 5 years the guy has shit talked his way from the a newbie in the UFC to what will likely be the biggest payday any UFC athlete has ever seen. No doubt he has the skill to back it up, but by running his mouth about Mayweather he will get a fight that will pay him enough to walk away forever if he wants.

I didn't know where else to put this, but an internet troll who insisted that a woman could never beat a man in a fight has been challenged to a fight by a female MMA fighter.

Rather than just letting this troll go on his merry way, McDojoLife decided to put their money where Zylinski’s mouth is. They put a public offer out for $1,000, plus paid flights and accommodation for any 160-lb woman to fly out to Gainesville, Florida to take on Zylinski in an MMA fight.

It didn’t take long for Anna McCauley Dempster, an Oregon native with a 7-0 amateur MMA record, to reach out and set the date of the fight for January 6. “[It’s] pretty ballsy considering that is only like four weeks away. But she wanted a piece of this guy really bad. Her credentials are legit,” said McDojoLife.

For anyone concerned that Zylinski might not show up to the fight, McDojoLife has promised that McCauley Dempster will still get paid regardless of whether or not her opponent decides to fight her. They’ve also started a GoFundMe to finance the necessary costs for the match, and a percentage of the money raised will go to McCauley Dempster as a fight bonus. If Zylinski does show up, McDojoLife has said that they will be streaming the event live for anyone who can’t attend in person.

This won't ever happen, because no athletic commission in the United States or Canada would sanction a fight like this. If it does happen, it will likely be considered a street fight and illegal, which means anyone trying to make money off it can't.

That said, there have been some male versus female mma fights before, in other countries. Not sure if this guy has any fighting experience at all, but if he does, it's probably not going to end well for her, especially if she's just an amateur.

Now, put this guy in the cage with Cyborg, and he'd likely be dead.

Top Bottom