Minecraft Project Recruitment Thread

Just for those who want help doing a creative build in Minecraft!

I'm thinking of making a much larger, more complex, and vastly improved version of my underwater city build, Dorklantis. Problem is, it's a BIIIIG build, and some help would make it go a lot faster. Here are some of the plans I have:

LAYOUT PLAN
Keep in mind this is a general layout plan only; the shapes and sizes of the domes, as well as the distance between them, are not to scale.

The numbers at the bottom refer to this guide I found on making domes:

The main hub dome will be more octagonal, with 31 blocks per side. The tram domes (i.e. those rectangles at the end of the North/South/East/West axes) are a little different, so here's a few images to give the idea of how to light and make them. Sadly, minedraft.net does not have marble blocks (used for connecting the domes to the tram lines), and the glass blocks are just too hard to see on the grid, so the Marble Column blocks will be represented by Cobblestone, the Chiseled Marble blocks by Gold Blocks, and the Glass Blocks by Diamond.

Long side of Tram Dome (connects to N/S/E/W axes):

Short side of Tram Dome:

Top of Tram Dome:

Cross-section of Tram Dome (to help show the design of the curve):

Just to let you know how to get the map if someone sets up a server, the seed I'm using is 3657966; it's a custom map with Biome Size set to 5, no Lava Lakes, with difficulty set to Creative/Peaceful and cheats on. The location used (beginning with the South Tram Dome) is X/Y/Z 861 / 49 / 654.

EDIT: Damn, I messed up on the diagram for the long side of the tram dome--I could fix the image at some point, but I'm too lazy at the moment. Oh well.

Last edited by a moderator:

Zrikz

Colonist
zrikz.no-ip.biz

Haven't really set up a server before, but managed in like 10 minutes.. see if I got the seed right and what not.

see if you are able to connect to that

zrikz.no-ip.biz

Haven't really set up a server before, but managed in like 10 minutes.. see if I got the seed right and what not.

see if you are able to connect to that
The Difficulty ought to be peaceful--don't want monsters destroying our hard work. :p

EDIT: Also, enable cheats--command blocks + sponges can clear out water from inside domes damn fast and make landscaping go much much faster.

In the Library dome on the original Dorklantis, I had chests filled with blank books, and chests with signs indicating various genres of literature so players could write books and fill their own library with them. However, the chests kind of stood out against the bookshelves--which is why in Dorklantis 2.0, I'm going to try out this little exploit in the Library:

EDIT:Removed video because exploit no longer works.

Of course, it'll be a pain to do that to all the shelves considering the size of the library. Once the map is done, though, I intend to transcribe stuff into books--that'll be interesting, though the glitch allowing the 50-page 256-character limit to be broken can only be done by the admin of the server--aka Zrikz, and it requires NBTEdit. Once the glitch is done, though, all players on the server should be able to surpass that limit, allowing the copy/paste fest to go much faster.

I'll try to find as much good stuff to fill that library while leaving space for players who DL the map to use for their own projects. If no one has a problem with it, I might even use some of the stuff you guys wrote on this site.

EDIT: dammit, that bookshelf glitch won't work in 1.8.4--they must have fixed that glitch. means I'll either have to use chests (which will clash with the design) or a mod. There are mods that allow for bookshelves to be used as chests, though. Time to install Bibliocraft!

The project has been going great so far--ATLauncher plus Bevo's Tech Pack = awesome.

However, I am now at the Massive Dome, and draining the water from it without the /fill command available with command blocks (it was added in the 1.8 update) I have to do draining by hand with creative sponges from Thermal Expansion. I would appreciate it if some people would get together with me sometime and help.

Also, I made some alterations to the layout plan:

Aaaand my request for aid has been completely ignored. I've had to do this build with zero help so far, but I am serious when I say that I need help draining the massive central dome--otherwise I won't even be able to start the actual work on the interior of the dome for MONTHS.

Also, I'd like to remind people I started this project in May, but aside from Zrikz setting up a server not one solitary individual has done ANY work on the project with me. In other words, it's been a solo build, and I've only gotten one wing of that very big project done, and there's still work to be done there too.

Ink Asylum

The cavalry's here!
Do you realize what you're asking for, Dork? You say it will take you months to complete, so for someone's assistance to make any appreciable difference in your time table people will likely have to provide many hours of work on the monotonous task of placing sponges to clear out an underwater dome.

There are only so many people here that still play Minecraft, and I imagine most of them have their own projects to work on. You didn't ask people to pop into your server and check out all your hard work, you're asking them to put in hours of hard work for no benefit, and then when people don't show any interest in working for free you try to guilt them about it.

I didn't realize how few people were left on this site that still played MC. And as this community is pretty close-knit and I have known most of you since the EvAv days I figured this would be a place where help would be very available--also, it's pretty much the only community on the internet I really participate in, and the only real social life I have, so I couldn't exactly ask anyone else for help and expect anything either.

Also, I'm sorry for blowing up, I'm going through some rough spots IRL and it's carrying over a bit.

Ink Asylum

The cavalry's here!
I'm just asking you to consider the difference between a little help, like Zrikz taking 10 minutes to set up a server for you, and a lot of help, like spending hours and hours performing routine tasks in a video game.

If you'd like to pay me my hourly wage, I would have no problem helping you out from 7:00AM to 4:30PM CST. Otherwise, sorry buddy, but you are coming off a bit demanding.

Like I said in your thread where you demanded a critique of your music, maybe you need to open your horizons and look into other communities that cater specifically to the task you are trying to accomplish. I know there's a lot of subreddits for this type of thing, as well as Minecraft specific forums, where people help with building tasks.

Ink Asylum

The cavalry's here!
I think that's good advice, but if you do such a thing you should expect to help out others as much as you yourself need help. It's not likely you're going to find any places where people will put in hours of work for you just because you ask nicely. In the end it probably won't save you a ton of time but you will develop a sense of community when there are multiple people taking turns working on each others' projects together.

evilgoodwin

Abomination Unto Nuggan
I can't remember, but if you're using a tech pack, can't you creative in an energy cell and a pump, and have it go into a creative tank/ void pipe?

In fact, here's a link to Quarry Plus, which has a Pump Plus in it. Stick a void pipe and creative energy cell on the bastard and let it go. Make sure the area you're pumping out is completely sealed, because you might drain the ocean. Add a world anchor full of ender pearls, or a chunk loader and it'll run while you sleep.

edit: Forgot the link.

I can't remember, but if you're using a tech pack, can't you creative in an energy cell and a pump, and have it go into a creative tank/ void pipe?

In fact, here's a link to Quarry Plus, which has a Pump Plus in it. Stick a void pipe and creative energy cell on the bastard and let it go. Make sure the area you're pumping out is completely sealed, because you might drain the ocean. Add a world anchor full of ender pearls, or a chunk loader and it'll run while you sleep.

edit: Forgot the link.
Unfortunately ATLauncher won't load Minecraft with that mod installed.

Here's the error log. I'm using Bevo's Tech Pack minus Biomes O'Plenty and Bibliowoods BOP Edition.

Top Bottom