Favorite community memories / superlatives

Dav Slinker

Oh, and hey, by the way
We've come a long way, baby.

Join me in this trip down memory lane.

From our first associations at Evil Avatar, through the chaos of the schism there, to our temporary home at Play It Review It, and finally to this site, through all our domains and transfers of forum code, it's been a Hell of a ride. The fact that I'm considered to be one of the younger posters around these parts and I'm turning 30 in a couple weeks should give a good impression of our age.

Now that the end of a formalized board is coming, I figured it'd be a good time to reminisce over our favorite community memories, whether they were on this site, EvAv, on steam, whatever.

And also share superlatives! If you don't know the idea of the game, or know it by a different name, it's basically little awards or honors you give to people, a la high school yearbooks.

For example:

Most likely to continue playing music as the ship goes down: Purple Santa.

The "why the hell is everything always my job " award: Mot Wakorb.

Most likely to piss you off in one thread while making very agreeable salient points in another simultaneously: Muddi900

Things like that.

As for memories, I remember the first time I ever got into an argument with people here. I had been suggesting that all of the negative press surrounding original WiiMotes breaking TVs from flying off the strap could be a plan by Sony.

Yeah, I was kind of a fanboy. But I was 18 at the time. Life was yet to teach me some lessons about being a jackass.

Then later Sony tried their hand at several guerrilla marketing campaigns, so I maintain they could have signal boosted the anti-Wiimote news. Lord knows it was in their wheelhouse at the time.

Who's got next?

Dav Slinker

Oh, and hey, by the way
Ooh, another thing I loved was how if you said something especially pithy or amusing sometimes somebody would add it to their signature. It's a huge compliment, like going "I love what you wrote so much I want to see it every day and I want everyone to know I love it." I've been sigged a few times and it always made me feel like a goddamn superhero.

SRSLY. My CoG PAX badge, made with th me typeface I suggested, looked like it said HOANON because the X from that typeface was not expected to be used. Thanks, Ghostbear, for calling me on it.

evilgoodwin

Abomination Unto Nuggan
I mainly remember a lot of personal projects that faded away, like playing through all the Final Fantasy games or all the Dragon Quest games.

This totally reflects my current project of playing all the Zelda games, and I'm seriously considering restarting that just to have video over picture coverage of it.

So, I will have to think of what I remember of this community that isn't related to my own personal goals. But I'll do my best!

rein

Colonist
I mostly want to say this place has been a positive influence on my life and especially my internet life. Sure there have been moments on the board that we would like to forget but overall everyone here has shown the best in online personas. Thank you all for that.

TheKeck

FORTY POSTS PER PAGE!
I remember the wiping thread leading to the creation of The Pit...

I remember magic PCs.

I remember Ox owning us in Diplomacy while we were spanning multiple sites.

I remember TF2 Thursday after TF2 Thursday.

I remember being so annoyed by people referring to a thread's page count. (FORTY POSTS PER PAGE!) I remember getting into a war with civil about it.

I remember Tycho talking about "the avatar" as a source of news and wandering over to see what it was all about.

I remember people going rounds and rounds with Johan.

I remember going rounds and rounds with Assassin. And burger. And whatever other aliases he had.

I remember suggesting splitting off a new thread from the Holy Crap thread, getting rejected, but then having it happen anyway because of Doctor Who.

I... crap, need to get ready for work.

I remember being so annoyed by people referring to a thread's page count. (FORTY POSTS PER PAGE!) I remember getting into a war with civil about it.
You've said this before, but i really don't remember it happening this way.
Are you going to start a war about the war? If that's so, I'm ready.

TheKeck

FORTY POSTS PER PAGE!
You've said this before, but i really don't remember it happening this way.
Are you going to start a war about the war? If that's so, I'm ready.
I tried to find some of the posts back on EvAv, which is where I believe it happened, but it seems the history there has largely been purged. (I imagine not maliciously, but just old stuff is gone.)

I remember you wanting me to admit that you're more clever than I am. And me saying something about being "like totally more clever" than you are. And you making fun of my wording. And me saying that I was being silly to make fun of you. And you making some kind of photoshop making fun of me. And me take a picture of Zangief pile driving Chun Li, labeling Zangief as 40 posts per page and Chun Li as 10 posts per page.

...but maybe I'm just imagining all of that. :D

I remember going to NYC and meeting some of the members from here. It was a goddamn blast.
Yeah. A few of my most cherished memories of this place happened offline. I remember the first time Jacob/Mag came to stay with me in Chicago. My then girlfriend (then wife now ex-wife) was like, "Wait. You've never actually met this guy you're letting stay in our apartment?"

Same thing at my wedding. I had never meet Irene or Joey before then. They were awesome! Then whenever I would visit Minneapolis I'd see Jacob, Loren, and the Big Nord (I can't remember his name at the moment!).

Then of course the NYC meetup. What a Kecking good time that was. From karaoke (and the sing-a-long) to Krispy taking us to that weird party, it was an incredible time. Just fun all around. And so many people came! That was a pleasant surprise.

I tried to find some of the posts back on EvAv, which is where I believe it happened, but it seems the history there has largely been purged. (I imagine not maliciously, but just old stuff is gone.)

I remember you wanting me to admit that you're more clever than I am. And me saying something about being "like totally more clever" than you are. And you making fun of my wording. And me saying that I was being silly to make fun of you. And you making some kind of photoshop making fun of me. And me take a picture of Zangief pile driving Chun Li, labeling Zangief as 40 posts per page and Chun Li as 10 posts per page.

...but maybe I'm just imagining all of that. :D
I am pretty sure you cobbled that whole thing together from reading the back of sugar packets.

jpublic

Threadslayer
I remember a lot of projects we used to do.

I remember this place being my one refuge of sanity during a lot of grim and dark times in my life, when I felt very alone.

Honestly, I consider all of you guys to be good friends.

Gorvi

You're not my supervisor!
When I first started posting here I had no children, what the hell did I do with my time? Oh, right, games. I can remember countless circular arguments with Kamalot (JayVe? whichever came first), being that guy who always posts about Final Fantasy XI, evangelizing my beloved PSP, reading tons of posts and articles by people, rarely participating in things because I'm not much of a multiplayer person.

I've gone through a ton of personal shit from when I started posting back on EvAv, this community has been a constant source of sanity (relatively speaking.....) and normalcy.

maharahaj

Humanity is the Devil
I'm just glad that for the past 10 years, this place was home to (for the most part) a rather mature and civilized group of people, something which is next to impossible to find in an internet setting. There may only be around 100 active members at this time, but I like that I can see someone's avatar picture before reading their posts and pretty much know how they will respond to the thread's talking points before even reading their post.

This is the only forum that I am active on and follow on a daily basis. I'll try to make my way over to Discord or wherever the group moves to but if not, it has been a pleasure guys!

Last edited:
Back in the EvAv days, I was mostly just a mouthy troll; getting the internet was a big deal for my low-income Appalachian family, so I didn't really have any prior experience or context to help figure out just how I should act and use it (not to mention I was in my teens, a time in my life punctuated by unnecessary asshole behavior). But over time, I learned to be a lot more relaxed and mature, and this community had a few small parts to play in that. The most notable was when a member by the name of Miah came out as a transgendered person, and even was open to explaining what transgenderism was and so forth. I acknowledged my views were backwards, but I was genuinely curious and was open to learn because Miah was patient enough to educate me. She actually bought me a copy of Whipping Girl, which I read with a voracious interest. I didn't necessarily agree with everything the author said (and the poetry sections were cringe), but these were ideas that were both new and persuasive to me. To this day, the book (and the actual online conversation around it) remains a kind of touchstone for me, still informing my own views on feminism, sexuality, and queer issues.

I'm bummed that the forum is dead, but I understand given the circumstances. I never really felt as close to this community, as it were, as others do. But I always found this forum to be good for me in helping be more open-minded and seizing opportunities to bullshit on topics I rarely get to discuss with anyone else. Forums are becoming something of a digital anachronism, and personally, this forum is something of a reminder for me about my past self; I've been a part of this community since my high school days. So, yea, it sucks to see it go. But it is probably for the best. I'm not sure if I'll make the jump to Discord or not. But I'll try!

Shadowstorm

There are FOUR LIGHTS!
Fuck, what a surprise coming back to colonyofgamers.com and seeing the announcement of the impending shut down.

I still remember Johan (wordsmith that he was) getting into heated debates with pretty much any of the regulars. Many of the names here. I remember the exodus. I remember awkwardly meeting Ten19 at a Nine Inch Nails show as well as the meetup with some nerds here at Kamalot's place!

I hate the Internet of today. I don't particularly care for reddit - nowhere near the level as I used to (I still remember the exodus from Digg too). This is a topic that has been on my mind for awhile: Internet communities in general. There's so much noise online now. I've been a part of so many different online communities all over a spectrum: Evil Avatar, deviantART (music forum / IRC regular), NeoGAF, the Zone (for Age of Empires' CD ROM section, shut down in '06), and a ton of other forums (sparing names unless you're interested in music). GFW Radio / 1up forums. And then I became really, really into Eve Online.

The medium of the forum is something I've been thinking about a lot. It is a byproduct of the first days of the Internet, and it's something that has been a part of my life. I missed this place. The Internet has changed substantially - even just from a decade ago. Just the sense of discovery; of finding a new forum and seeing all of these other people writing to each other about anything. You got to know people over time. Creating a forum graphic signature. The Wild West feeling.

I think about what probably defines a typical experience on the Internet for people these days and that small, more cozy feeling of community has been replaced by the digital equivalent of big box stores - Twitch, Youtube, Facebook, Twitter. Big corporate places with portals and algorithms. Fuck. The randomness of the medium has all but disappeared. The very concept that anything you do online wasn't being aggressively tracked and developed into some kind of digital foot print to be used, shared, sold, and traded by ad companies wasn't even a thing. Webpages that didn't have 5 MB (!) of Javascript to load what you were after. These days, you need like 6 different browser plugins to make the Internet a halfway decent thing to be on.

The amateur desire of wanting to create an account at a forum when you discovered it. These days, I think long and hard before creating another account anywhere. You were even expected to introduce yourself in some introduction subforum at a lot of these boards. I miss that feeling. It's easy to dismiss all of this as nostalgia, but I think there are some real truths here.

Everyone is constantly connected now. We're in the age of distraction and preoccupation, picking up the (smart)phone just out of reflex (or noticing someone that does. You see it everywhere in public); the constant string of buzzing, beeps, alerts, push/notifications is endless. Everything demands your attention, and it is never enough.

Long live the forum.

Last edited:

Dav Slinker

Oh, and hey, by the way
You make some great points, shadowstorm. The immediacy of social media now and the focus on global accessibility instead of specific audience has changed the way discussions work online. The net went and got itself in a big damn hurry.

This is the only forum community I stuck with for more than like a month. I still love waking up and checking out what the new posts are.

TheKeck

FORTY POSTS PER PAGE!
Most likely to hate the thing you love and love the thing you hate: muddi900

Most likely to write a Christmas poem: Purple Santa

Most likely to have played a hidden object game: Spigot

Most likely to see big foot: Karak

Most likely to draw a quantum feline: Ink Asylum

Most likely to buy a physical game he's never going to play: Gorvi

Most likely to create a poll: TheKeck

Most likely to have socks brought about him: Hawkzombie

Most likely to actually post video game news: DoctorFinger

Most likely to play different games than me: jpublic

Most likely to wear soccer cleats: fitbabits

Most likely to have a crazy story: Generation ABXY

Most likely to be a hard boiled detective: Dav Slinker

Most likely to own a game he's only played for five minutes: biosc1

Most likely to play a Zelda game: evilgoodwin

Most likely to mention something hipster: civil_dead

Most likely to hate something and think it's dumb: Young Al Capone

Most likely to deadpan call it likes he sees it: pomeroy

Most likely to pop in and dispense some thoughtful political perspective: Ultima Thulian

Ok, I can't keep this up.

Last edited:

TheKeck

FORTY POSTS PER PAGE!
Dang it! I went through most of the list of highest posters and then several people who posted at the beginning of this thread and then it was taking too much of my work day. :oops:

Most likely to LARP as Rory Williams: civil_dead

Most likely to give me Prey(2006): rein

Most likely to go unappreciated: Mot Wakorb
Now that's more like it! That hipster trope is just dumb. But my hatred for Rory? That's as true and deep as the ocean.

Man oh man. Now I just want to watch Doctor Who.

Top Bottom