End of an Era

Dav Slinker

Oh, and hey, by the way
I wish Japanese people would employ it, honestly. If I ask them to repeat, they do so at the exact same cadence, speed, and volume. If I ask them to do it slower, they do it either imperceptibly slower or pausing after each syllable until I say "hai" before they move on.

In general they are reeeeally bad at communication and understanding what parts of their language are difficult to comprehend.

I mean, I'm aware of the phrase agin' it, largely because grandpa Simpson said it once: "I ain't fer it, I'm agin' it."

I just didn't know if you were sincere re: first languages.
Oh! Yes. I grew up speaking Spanish only in the home, and most of the people I hung around with until I entered kindergarten spoke Spanish. It's pretty normal for first generation immigrant communities (I was born in the States, both my folks are from Mexico). I adapted well, as did my sister below me. My youngest sister, however, did not and she was held back in first grade because of it.

Two funny bits:

I grew up drinking Squirt in Mexico, but never saw it in the States. So I called it what my family did: Squeer-ert. That's just how it was pronounced. Many years later, a girlfriend and I were at a supermarket in Chicago when I saw a bottle in the cooler. I said to her, "Oh! The sell Squeer-ert in America now!" To which she replied, "You mean "squirt?" It was a word I had used many times in my life, but in that context (on the bottle), it didn't compute as squirt.

Different girlfriend, she calls me at work and asks if I've seen her necklace. I had, and I was trying to explain to her where it was. I kept saying, "It's on the tocador, it's on the tocador." because I had never had a reason in my life to learn the word "dresser." So she's asking where, I'm trying to describe it, and she keeps saying "dresser", which, in my mind, meant a wardrobe (I was envisioning The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe in my mind). It took us several minutes to realize we were talking about the same thing.

And there you have my family history.

A tried and true tactic.
You're the American Abroad that makes me hang my head!

jpublic

Threadslayer
Dav, you should try something that a scientist at my work did.

She was from Italy, and her English was atrocious - so bad we didn't understand how she had gotten her ESL certificate. So, for her first year she carried around little cards that said:

"Hi! I'm still learning the language. I'm having trouble understanding you. If you could speak a bit more slowly and clearly, it would really help me. Thank you!"

I don't know if that would help you, but it sure helped her.

TheKeck

FORTY POSTS PER PAGE!
I grew up drinking Squirt in Mexico, but never saw it in the States. So I called it what my family did: Squeer-ert. That's just how it was pronounced. Many years later, a girlfriend and I were at a supermarket in Chicago when I saw a bottle in the cooler. I said to her, "Oh! The sell Squeer-ert in America now!" To which she replied, "You mean "squirt?" It was a word I had used many times in my life, but in that context (on the bottle), it didn't compute as squirt.
I have a hard time believing Mexicans didn't pronounce it ess-quirt. They always said ess-prite.

Although, that may be more particular words that start with "sp" and not just "s", so, maybe I can believe it. :p

Just reminded me of in Mexico in a meeting I had, and how this guy kept on harping over and over again about how a certain other meeting should be held "every eight days". And I was absolutely baffled. In my mind, I'm like, "So, it's critical to have this meeting weekly, but NOT on the same day of the week??"

Later learned that in Mexico they don't QUITE get how numbers work, and call "every seven days", "every eight days". :oops:
You're the American Abroad that makes me hang my head!
Of course, I was just kidding. ;)

Last edited:

Dav Slinker

Oh, and hey, by the way
...And there you have my family history.
Interesting! You're the second person in my life whom I didn't know English was their archive language as they're so proficient at it. The other is my friend Phil (short for "Philippe"), who always insisted that he only approximated English despite speaking long a native. Once I met his family at his wedding and saw that they did indeed primarily speak French, I finally believed him after knowing him for the better part of a decade.

Dav, you should try something that a scientist at my work did.

She was from Italy, and her English was atrocious - so bad we didn't understand how she had gotten her ESL certificate. So, for her first year she carried around little cards that said:

"Hi! I'm still learning the language. I'm having trouble understanding you. If you could speak a bit more slowly and clearly, it would really help me. Thank you!"

I don't know if that would help you, but it sure helped her.
I do know how to get across all of that information in spoken Japanese, funny enough. Maybe the problem is because I memorize the phrases and speak them reasonably quickly they assume more competence than is warranted. I could try a card. But I'm worried that the other person would die of embarrassment. Japanese people have this remarkable ability to feel embarrassment on your behalf, even when you don't feel it yourself. Their thought process is damn near audible.

"Oh, God, you don't speak my language in my native country fluently? I can't believe I assumed a base level of competence in a situation that warrants it. I'm so sorry I tried to speak Japanese to you in Japan. Please forgive me."

"Pretty sure this one is my bad, but if you've decided this is awkward I know better than to try and stop you."

This is why I like teaching young kids. They're much less reluctant to try communicating with limited tools and can't even feel embarrassed for themselves, let alone on your behalf. Adults just have very different ways of thinking than I'm used to.

Zero

I do stuff.
Same story, I only knew what little English I had picked up from cartoons before hitting Kindergarten. Now I find it difficult to slip back into my Mexican accent when conversing with other Spanish speakers.

I have a hard time believing Mexicans didn't pronounce it ess-quirt. They always said ess-prite.

Although, that may be more particular words that start with "sp" and not just "s", so, maybe I can believe it. :p

Just reminded me of in Mexico in a meeting I had, and how this guy kept on harping over and over again about how a certain other meeting should be held "every eight days". And I was absolutely baffled. In my mind, I'm like, "So, it's critical to have this meeting weekly, but NOT on the same day of the week??"

Later learned that in Mexico they don't QUITE get how numbers work, and call "every seven days", "every eight days". :oops:

Of course, I was just kidding. ;)
1. The "esss" is implied! But you're right, if I was going full phonetic I should have included it. And the quirt part is oddly elongated.

2. We do to know the number of days you jerk! We count the actual day you are speaking on as one day, not tomorrow. For example, if you have a meeting on a Monday, your next meeting would be 8 days away because the actual day you are speaking on counts as a day. ¡Pinche gringo!

EDIT:

Interesting! You're the second person in my life whom I didn't know English was their archive language as they're so proficient at it.
Good enough to get me into the Ivy League!

/notsohumblebragareyouhappypomeroyiloveyouman

Last edited:

Dav Slinker

Oh, and hey, by the way
I heard that generally speaking, the primary criteria for an ivy league education is money. Failing money, insane amounts of talent that pull the test scores of the school up and make the knuckle-dragging sons of millionaires look better.

That's just what I heard, though. We don't really have an "ivy league" in Canada that I'm aware of. Just some schools that are known to be good.

Mind, if we DID have an ivy league, as an English major I'd have been summarily executed upon learning of it.

TheKeck

FORTY POSTS PER PAGE!
2. We do to know the number of days you jerk! We count the actual day you are speaking on as one day, not tomorrow. For example, if you have a meeting on a Monday, your next meeting would be 8 days away because the actual day you are speaking on counts as a day. ¡Pinche gringo!
Yes, yes, this was explained to me. There's just the little problem of that being a total load of crap. Tomorrow is two days away? If something happens every two days, that's the same as happening every day? No. I don't think so. :p

@Dav Slinker Following up: I'm taking an intense grammar class (using Nietzsche as one of the sample texts!) because, even at nearly 50 years of age, my mangled English/Spanish grammatical upbringing allows me to write rather well but doesn't afford me the ability to distinguish a past participle from a past perfect one. When I was called on in class I let out a literal, "Zoinks!" and did the shirt-collar-pull.

Dav Slinker

Oh, and hey, by the way
@Dav Slinker Following up: I'm taking an intense grammar class (using Nietzsche as one of the sample texts!) because, even at nearly 50 years of age, my mangled English/Spanish grammatical upbringing allows me to write rather well but doesn't afford me the ability to distinguish a past participle from a past perfect one. When I was called on in class I let out a literal, "Zoinks!" and did the shirt-collar-pull.
Everybody has a blind spot of some sort. My knowledge of finer grammar points isn't perfect, either. I teach kids how to ask what color people like. I couldn't tell you what a dangling participle is.

Purple Santa

keeper of the day and end
I just looked at the day the site closes, which is a Friday. I have a request and if you could so kindly approve... since November 30th is a Friday, is it possible I can make one last WeekEND thread? It would fit perfect with the image Dav stated in the End of an Era thread about me still playing music as the ship went down. I promise to turn off all the lights once it is done :)

Since joining the site, I have moved across country, got married, drastically changed careers, and had three kids. Wow, I don't come back very often since let's face it, I don't have even time to call my own mother and check in on her but I'll always remember this site. It saddens me to see it's going to go away but totally understand. I'm just glad I signed on to see this before it went dark.

To all I've argued with, to all I've agreed with... to all I've shared parts of my life and to those I've hidden from. It was all in good fun and to be honest, was only because I was bored and didn't want to do work so argued on the internet instead ;)

I've talked to some of you privately, some in person, and some just on the internet. Btw, I can finally tell my secret since it no longer matters. Some thought I really hated Sony but in truth, I was a SCEA employee for almost a decade and knew how screwed up it was on the inside during the time of the PS3. I couldn't say it out loud without cover but could vent incognito online. But that's another story for another website. ;)

Thanks to all you guys for the debate, the angry typing and the laughs and cries. I loved you all, I can't say I will miss you cause I have missed you guys for a few years now.

Agreed, do tell.

In site-going-down related subject matter, as I see it the current plan is to do a subreddit alongside the Discord.

Do we have general agreement on that?

Will remnants of the site stay up for a while to facilitate redirection of members to those new locations, or are we dealing with a 'On Dec 1 you get a site failed to respond' situation?

VerseD

Wyrd bið ful aræd
Just saw this news! I miss the old glory days, but I guess it's inevitable as much as things have shut down. I'm certainly glad for all the connections I've made on here. Perhaps it's time to give Discord a shot...

I am going to miss this.
Yes, the fact that a thread about the site's impending demise derailed is pretty damn perfect, I think.

To the topic at hand, I am also "on" Discord, but, honestly, I rarely use it. If we're still tossing in our two cents, I think I'd vote for reddit, too (at the very least, I'd use it more than Discord).

I haven't been here in years, but stumbled on an old email from CoG while migrating some accounts. Figured I'd check old place out. I'm sad to see it is about to shutdown. I was once fairly active in the TF2 and L4D days with some of you, but mostly lurked on the forum (and didn't use my mic much anyway). Had some good times and still think back on it every now and then. I'm still on steam occasionally, but don't play games nearly as much as I used to. Thanks for being cool people, maybe I'll check out the subreddit if that's what happens.

Dav Slinker

Oh, and hey, by the way
I made a new reddit account so that I can post in cogonreddit. It was just easier than going through all my old posts and screening the info there. Plus if I'm posting with y'all it's easier to stick to my established nom de guerre.

Although apparently new accounts are limited to one post every ten minutes until they get some upvotes. Which suuucks.

Mot Wakorb

47 Friendly Fires
I made a new reddit account so that I can post in cogonreddit. It was just easier than going through all my old posts and screening the info there. Plus if I'm posting with y'all it's easier to stick to my established nom de guerre.

Although apparently new accounts are limited to one post every ten minutes until they get some upvotes. Which suuucks.
Easy enough to fix, we can shitpost and get upvotes set.

I know I have not been around much at all for some time. Life got busy, and I have had less time for gaming and thus spending time online talking about gaming -- but just checked the board and saw this so figured it was worth saying thanks for all the memories, arguments, and the community over the years both here and back at EA.

Hope to run into you guys in actual games!

Top Bottom