End of an Era

DoctorFinger

Editor in Chief
10 years ago (give or take a few days) this website began. The details of the beginning don't really matter anymore, but this place became a home for a lot of people. Fun was had, games were played, bonds were forged, battles were fought. A lot of us spent an immense amount of time hanging out on these boards as a community. I think everyone reading this feels that sense of community, and has had their lives bettered by being a part of it. I know that even at my worst days, I was able to hop into the forums and find something fun to discuss. Which is what makes this so difficult. On November 30, the forum at CoG will go offline.

Time change. Lives change. People change. Technology changes. Whatever CoG was a decade ago, or in the years since, the forum just is not as useful as it once was. No one is to blame for that, but the lives we lead now are not the lives we led a decade ago. We've spent a lot of time discussing what to do with CoG, and we finally decided that the forum just isn't what the community really needs anymore.

CoG will live on. In the Discord, the Steam group and many other places. And we will maintain the domain name, and keep some presence live to allow us to connect. But for now, this version of CoG will be sunsetting in a couple of months. We'll compile a list of links and resources in the coming months. but we wanted to give everyone time to save, archive or repost whatever they have here they wish to preserve.

Gorvi

You're not my supervisor!
This is very sad, but with the lower traffic the past few years I'm a little surprised things have gone on as long as they have. I'll definitely want to stay in contact with others on here, it's been a long time. I don't think I'm in contact with anyone outside of this forum.

Wow. That was shocking to read but not so surprising when I think about it. I've got a lot of great memories wrapped around this place. Colonizing PAX on both coasts, for example. I haven't been on any other forums in many years. The forum may go down, but my RSS reader will continue to ping that link forever!

Thanks, all.

Young Al Capone

Part of the problem
Yup, sad to hear but happy for the time we got. Hope to keep in touch with plenty of you, I'll definitely be hanging out on the discord. Love you guys.

Stoke

Act. Like. A. Dove.
Sad, but expected. I do hope those that still post here in the DAY/END threads move to Discord. I see a lot of names here that I don't see there.

Sad face. I knew this day would come, but in my mind it was 2038, not 2018. :(

EDIT: Also, +1 for not liking Discord/IRC. Dunno, just never sat with me.

PathMaster

My life for Aiur!
Discord is actually not that bad. Some days the chat is fast and furious, other days crickets all day long. And if you really feel like you missed something, scroll up and read.

I think this might be a good place for some suggestions for channels to bring over from popular threads.

TheKeck

FORTY POSTS PER PAGE!
I don't know how people feel about the number of channels on Discord exploding. In theory, you could continue to post there, but it might be suboptimal.

I'm wondering about the finished games thread. Might just have to let that die. Or at least, I won't keep updating the spreadsheet.

Dav Slinker

Oh, and hey, by the way
I'd love some way to continue the little blog thread I've been doing. Any suggestions?
Blogspot? Wordpress?

Of course it's saddening, but it's totally true that the majority of activity here is around the day/end threads. We do get some new content, but not enough to attract new members. Really this was going to be a death by degrees.

It's a bitter pill, but I understand the reasoning. Thanks to all the mods, admins, founders... Everyone who kept the site going. For sure I'll be checking out the discord more often now.

jpublic

Threadslayer
Blogspot? Wordpress?

Of course it's saddening, but it's totally true that the majority of activity here is around the day/end threads. We do get some new content, but not enough to attract new members. Really this was going to be a death by degrees.

It's a bitter pill, but I understand the reasoning. Thanks to all the mods, admins, founders... Everyone who kept the site going. For sure I'll be checking out the discord more often now.
I guess I was just enjoying the exercise, and the fact that it prompted some discussion. There are tons of other places I could post it, but if we're going to a chat group instead of a board, I'll just give it up.

My main fear of going to Discord is the 'must be constantly connected' obsession I'm prone to. I had that problem with IRC.

Beyond that, honestly I simply feel that going to Discord is a kiss of death. I'll move over and hope I'm proven wrong, but I suspect we'll see this group dissolve faster there.

Dav Slinker

Oh, and hey, by the way
I've been amazed over the last few years that this site has been kept afloat mostly through voluntary donation of time and resources. Mot in particular is a goddamn saint. I've made offerings at the shrines of far more trifling presences than he.

Mot Wakorb

47 Friendly Fires
I guess I was just enjoying the exercise, and the fact that it prompted some discussion. There are tons of other places I could post it, but if we're going to a chat group instead of a board, I'll just give it up.

My main fear of going to Discord is the 'must be constantly connected' obsession I'm prone to. I had that problem with IRC.

Beyond that, honestly I simply feel that going to Discord is a kiss of death. I'll move over and hope I'm proven wrong, but I suspect we'll see this group dissolve faster there.
If anything, it's actually pretty busy there, has been for some time. It's all in how much effort folks put out.

Fubl

Colonist
The keck: i think the finished game thread might be one of the easier ones to carry over. They can create a channel pin the google doc to it. People only post in it what games they complete. Can scroll through the whole channel. Or worse comes ot worse even just delete the messages as the document is updated.

The discord is pretty consistent on when its busy usualyl between 9am est - 12am est Sometimes ever longer than that

TheKeck

FORTY POSTS PER PAGE!
The keck: i think the finished game thread might be one of the easier ones to carry over. They can create a channel pin the google doc to it. People only post in it what games they complete. Can scroll through the whole channel. Or worse comes ot worse even just delete the messages as the document is updated.

The discord is pretty consistent on when its busy usualyl between 9am est - 12am est Sometimes ever longer than that
I guess I could give it a try, but seems like a pain to me.

Young Al Capone

Part of the problem
Discord is typically more active then the forums, with some members that never post here still being regulars there. I usually have both open all day, and don't post to either.

I am not stoked about the board dying, especially features like jpub's, but the community lives.

Gorvi

We could always create a subreddit, though I'm not sure of the logistics of that, or how it would benefit over Discord given my lack of familiarity with Discord. It would keep the threaded structure at least.

Stoke

Act. Like. A. Dove.
Separate channels or the same one? Either is fine.
My vote, for what it's worth, is just one channel. I think the only reason there were separate threads is to stop them from growing too huge right? (And to force them back on the rails a bit)

I think a subreddit would be cool. Idk. Seems fairly close to a forum.
We could always create a subreddit, though I'm not sure of the logistics of that, or how it would benefit over Discord given my lack of familiarity with Discord. It would keep the threaded structure at least.
There already is a colonyofgamers subreddit. It's super old and hasn't been touched. I snatched up r/cogonreddit if we want to use that.

Dav Slinker

Oh, and hey, by the way
I think a subreddit would be cool. Idk. Seems fairly close to a forum.

There already is a colonyofgamers subreddit. It's super old and hasn't been touched. I snatched up r/cogonreddit if we want to use that.
I do like this idea, I'm on reddit all the time anyways. But then I'd either have to make a new reddit account or let you all discover my current one...

There is something to be said over the non-chat room format, I feel like conversation can get buried in that format easily.

rein

Colonist
I suggested this too. The threaded layout is the thing I will miss most about the board if it goes all Discord/Steam. I’m also concerned about the split between apps. I checked this morning to see if COG or ColonyOfGamers sub is available. I was going to pass them on to which ever mod wanted them. They were not. I hope someone from here grabbed one of those just in case.

Edit -Looks like I am late to the post :p

Last edited:

TheKeck

FORTY POSTS PER PAGE!
One of the things that is hardest about discord is that you can't quote people, and then follow the conversation back like in a forum.

And I find it tough to catch up when things get buried. Hard to find where I left off, and it often wants to keep scrolling me down to the new posts or something, so I keep losing my place.

Gorvi

I suggested this too. The threaded layout is the thing I will miss most about the board if it goes all Discord/Steam. I’m also concerned about the split between apps. I checked this morning to see if COG or ColonyOfGamers sub is available. I was going to pass them on to which ever mod wanted them. They were not. I hope someone from here grabbed one of those just in case.

Edit -Looks like I am late to the post :p
Yeah, exactly. I think having the separate threads is really helpful and would allow for most of the same structure we have with a lot of the discussion here. I'm, again, mostly thinking of the day/end threads, the games beaten thread and the random topics we have here and there. They would mostly be able to continue relatively unchanged, at least as much as possible without a dedicated forum.

Ravenlock

Thx for the scarf, Sadie!
I too would be in favor of a subreddit, if that's an option that people are willing to engage with.

Discord is great, but it requires both a willingness to keep up with and an acceptance that no long ongoing discussions can really happen the way they always have here. Once something is a week in the past, it's basically gone forever unless somebody pinned it, and thread resurrection has often been one of the great joys of the forum format. You can always start a conversation up again anywhere, of course, but referencing old points or links is very hard in an "endless scroll" type of interface.

As far as this forum goes, I owe you all immense thanks. This was the place I first started to consider writing and podcasting about games, and while that never (yet) became anything professional, it did become a deep investment and a source of many connections I am richer for. Free and Worth Every Penny and the Immortal Machines podcast were the brightest parts of long stretches of my early 30's. I attended PAX on a CoG press pass, something I would not have thought I'd ever get to do. I got to talk to some awesome developers and other games writers, and I can't quantify the coolness of that. And I got to be part of a smart, funny, honestly usually really friendly and polite group of people who love games for ten years, and boy that feels rare right now.

So, yeah. Thank you. Thank you for starting this place, keeping it running, welcoming me here, and supporting each other. I hope that last part continues for a long time.

jpublic

Threadslayer
I would be happier if we had a subreddit going - it would give us a place to put posted projects and long-form discussions.

It would complement the DIscord nicely. That way we'd have the active chat that seems to be the goal, as well as a place for forum-style content. Maybe include an announcement channel so people could notify the Discord of updates?

Top Bottom