Diplomacy

MagGnome

Le nain de jardin
The "mumbo jumbo" makes a lot more sense when you can see the map.

Keck, if the build phase moves quickly, will we have another turn this week or will it end on Monday evening regardless?

TheKeck

FORTY POSTS PER PAGE!
The "mumbo jumbo" makes a lot more sense when you can see the map.

Keck, if the build phase moves quickly, will we have another turn this week or will it end on Monday evening regardless?
I'm not EXACTLY sure, but I think if the turn ends today at noon, for example, the next turn will end Monday at noon.

I also have the ability to move the deadline around all I want, so if people think the default time doesn't make sense or need an extension or a pause or something, just speak up.

Ink Asylum

The cavalry's here!
Keck, just seeing this mumbo jumbo makes me realize I would have been lost playing! You dodged a bullet, my friend.

Sent from a phone so please forgive any errors and factual misrepresentations.
As board games go it's actually fairly simple when it comes to rules and mechanics. When it comes to HOW you move there's really only 4 commands: Move, Hold, Support, and Convoy.

Move: You can only move one space, crossing a border. Armies can only move on land spaces. Fleets can move on water and coastal spaces.

Hold: You're not trying to move anywhere and are technically just defending wherever you are.

Support: You're helping another army/fleet do whatever they're doing, whether that's moving or holding. You can support other nation's units. The Supporting unit must be able to legally Move to the space the unit you're Supporting is trying to either Move to or Hold.

Convoy: A fleet stays where it is and helps an army Move across water to another land space. Multiple fleets can chain together to Move an army across a large body of water in one turn.

Beyond that, you just need to understand how these moves interact when there's a conflict between units:

• If two or more units are trying to Move into the same territory they will bounce off each other.
  • If a unit is trying to Move into a territory that is occupied it will bounce off.
  • If a unit has more Support than an opposing unit to do what it is trying to do it will succeed and other units will either be bounced back from where they were trying to Move or dislodged from where they were Holding.
  • Support can be Cut by other units trying to Move into the space where the Supporting army is located.
  • Convoys can be cut if one of the Convying fleets is dislodged.

There's a few details I left out but those are pretty much the actions you can take. Every unit in the game has the same strength, so when your forces start encroaching on territory other players want to or already control you'll be unsuccessful unless you can provide enough support from neighboring units, either yours or others'.

There are no turns. Players write down their moves and submit them to either a judge program for online games, or a neutral judge or box/envelope/hat/etc in face-to-face games. The moves are revealed all at once and using that information it's determined which moves succeed or fail based on the above rules.

After each round players re-position units that were dislodged, and after every two rounds territory control changes based on where the units are occupying and players with more Supply Centers (territories with circles on them) than units get to build additional units, while players with less Supply Centers than units have to disband down to their supply number.

The winner is whichever player ends up controlling 18 or more Supply Centers at one time. You can also declare a team victory if all players on a team agree, or a Stalemate if it's basically impossible for either player to achieve victory.

That's pretty much it mechanically! What sets the game apart from others is that since all units are balanced and you're going to need support from other nations to do much of anything you need to do A LOT of talking and negotiating with other players to garner that support and make plans. But since the move submissions are secret you don't actually have to follow through on your promises, and that's where friendships are destroyed. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

TheKeck

FORTY POSTS PER PAGE!
Remember, if we ever want turns to process early you have to click the box that says "Resolve orders once all powers have issued orders" when you submit your orders.

These little build and retreat phases would be the perfect opportunity to use that option. ;)

TheKeck

FORTY POSTS PER PAGE!
http://www.backstabbr.com/game/6232584630566912

Turkey
A Bul - Gre ⇒ SUCCEEDS
F Arm - Syr ⇒ FAILS (Invalid move path)
F Smy - AEG ⇒ SUCCEEDS
A Con H ⇒ SUCCEEDS

England
F ENG - MAO ⇒ SUCCEEDS
F Lon - ENG ⇒ SUCCEEDS
F Lvp - IRI ⇒ SUCCEEDS
A Bel - Pic ⇒ SUCCEEDS
F Nwy - NTH ⇒ SUCCEEDS

France
A Spa - Por ⇒ SUCCEEDS
F Bre H ⇒ SUCCEEDS
A Mar - Bur ⇒ FAILS (Attack strength is not greater than the prevent strength)
A Par - Bre ⇒ FAILS (Attack strength is not greater than the defend strength)

Austria
A Tri H ⇒ SUCCEEDS
F ADR S Tri ⇒ SUCCEEDS
A Ser H ⇒ SUCCEEDS
A Bud S Ser ⇒ SUCCEEDS

Germany
A Ber - Mun ⇒ FAILS (Attack strength is not greater than the defend strength)
A Mun - Bur ⇒ FAILS (Attack strength is not greater than the prevent strength)
F Den - HEL ⇒ SUCCEEDS
A Kie - Hol ⇒ SUCCEEDS

Italy
A Ven - Tus ⇒ SUCCEEDS
A Pie - LYO ⇒ FAILS (Invalid move path)
F Apu H ⇒ SUCCEEDS

Russia
A Sev - Rum ⇒ SUCCEEDS
F Rum - BLA ⇒ SUCCEEDS
A Mos - Sev ⇒ SUCCEEDS
F Swe - BOT ⇒ SUCCEEDS
A Stp - Mos ⇒ SUCCEEDS
A War H ⇒ SUCCEEDS

Purple Santa

keeper of the day and end
I think this is the turn where, as my buddy Damian would have said, "We get all Game of Thrones with it."
Kind of violent for a game that you are miles and miles away. Although that does sound like a season of GoT :p

Game looks interesting. I'll keep observing and try to understand all the knives and killing to be going on soon.

TheKeck

FORTY POSTS PER PAGE!
Turkey
A Gre - Alb ⇒ FAILS (Attack strength is not greater than the prevent strength)
F Arm - Ank ⇒ SUCCEEDS
F AEG - ION ⇒ FAILS (Attack strength is not greater than the prevent strength)
A Con - Bul ⇒ FAILS (Attack strength is not greater than the prevent strength)

Italy
A Tus H ⇒ SUCCEEDS
A Pie - Tyr ⇒ SUCCEEDS
F Apu - ION ⇒ FAILS (Attack strength is not greater than the prevent strength)

France
F Bre - ENG ⇒ FAILS (Attack strength is not greater than the defend strength)
A Mar - Pic ⇒ FAILS (Invalid move path)
A Por H ⇒ SUCCEEDS
A Par - Pic ⇒ FAILS (Attack strength is not greater than the defend strength)

Austria
A Tri - Alb ⇒ SUCCEEDS
F ADR S Tri - Alb ⇒ SUCCEEDS
A Ser - Bul ⇒ SUCCEEDS
A Bud S Ser - Bul ⇒ FAILS (Invalid Order)

Germany
F HEL H ⇒ SUCCEEDS
A Ber H ⇒ SUCCEEDS
A Hol H ⇒ SUCCEEDS
A Mun H ⇒ SUCCEEDS

England
F NTH - Bel ⇒ SUCCEEDS
F IRI - MAO ⇒ SUCCEEDS
A Pic S MAO - Bre ⇒ FAILS (Disrupted)
F MAO - Bre ⇒ SUCCEEDS
F ENG S MAO - Bre ⇒ SUCCEEDS

Russia
A Sev - Arm ⇒ SUCCEEDS
A Rum S Ser - Bul ⇒ SUCCEEDS
A Mos - Sev ⇒ SUCCEEDS
F BOT H ⇒ SUCCEEDS
F BLA S Sev - Arm ⇒ SUCCEEDS
A War H ⇒ SUCCEEDS

It says that the next adjudication is in 11 hours but I can't seem to make any moves or anything right now. We are in Fall 1902, right? I thought this was the Winter phase but I'm just seeing the planned moves from the last turn right now.

Never mind. Figured out what the hold-up is.

Last edited by a moderator:

TheKeck

FORTY POSTS PER PAGE!
Hey all, I went ahead an enabled Press in all phases of the game. Having the press disabled doesn't seem to be helping to speed up these "short" turns at all, so I figure there's no reason to have us be gagged.

TheKeck

FORTY POSTS PER PAGE!
With today being Labor Day, I moved the deadline back to tomorrow. As always, if everyone puts their orders in and elects to process early we don't have to wait, though. ;)

muddi900

Blasphemous Outlaw Ranger
I do not know why this game is called Diplomacy when I do not have any trade deals and resources to use as leverage.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

TheKeck

FORTY POSTS PER PAGE!
Turkey
A Gre H ⇒ SUCCEEDS
A Con - Smy ⇒ SUCCEEDS
F AEG H ⇒ SUCCEEDS
F Ank H ⇒ FAILS (Insufficient hold strength)

Italy
A Tus H ⇒ SUCCEEDS
A Tyr H ⇒ SUCCEEDS
F Apu H ⇒ SUCCEEDS

France
F Gas H ⇒ SUCCEEDS
A Par H ⇒ SUCCEEDS
A Mar H ⇒ SUCCEEDS
A Por H ⇒ SUCCEEDS

Austria
A Tri S Alb - Gre ⇒ FAILS (Invalid Order)
F ADR S Alb - Gre ⇒ FAILS (Invalid Order)
A Alb C ADR - Apu ⇒ FAILS (Invalid Order)
A Bud - Vie ⇒ SUCCEEDS
A Bul H ⇒ SUCCEEDS

Germany
F HEL - NTH ⇒ FAILS (Attack strength is not greater than the prevent strength)
A Ber - Mun ⇒ SUCCEEDS
A Hol - Ruh ⇒ SUCCEEDS
A Mun - Bur ⇒ SUCCEEDS

England
F Bel - NTH ⇒ FAILS (Attack strength is not greater than the prevent strength)
F ENG - MAO ⇒ SUCCEEDS
A Pic S Bre ⇒ SUCCEEDS
F Lon - ENG ⇒ SUCCEEDS
F Bre S ENG - MAO ⇒ SUCCEEDS
F MAO - WES ⇒ SUCCEEDS

Russia
A Sev - Arm ⇒ SUCCEEDS
A Rum H ⇒ SUCCEEDS
F BOT H ⇒ SUCCEEDS
A Arm - Ank ⇒ SUCCEEDS
F BLA S Arm - Ank ⇒ SUCCEEDS
A War H ⇒ SUCCEEDS

TheKeck

FORTY POSTS PER PAGE!
Again, just a friendly reminder that as soon as Turkey makes his retreat (which only has one viable option) the game can continue to the next phase. Just sayin... :D

(I should just shut my big mouth if I end up having to put the game on hold for like two weeks. :eek:)

TheKeck

FORTY POSTS PER PAGE!
So now I'm wondering if this site has a bug. I see this under the game timeline:

9/6/2017, 9:55:14 AM
GM [spring 1903 NEEDS_RETREATS] Game adjudicated because all players were ready.

But it's a lie! The game didn't adjudicate. I'd like to ask Turkey (who maybe is me?) if they really submitted their retreat, but I can't do so without outing them, or me. :/

Top Bottom