Diplomacy

TheKeck

FORTY POSTS PER PAGE!
I think it may be time... time for a new game of Diplomacy.

Will six intrepid players join me on this adventure?

I'm thinking http://www.backstabbr.com might be the place to take the action. Easy web interface, optimized to work on both android and iphone browsers, if that's your thing. It has a nice feature where you can start up a Sandbox to just try out the interface and see how to issue the various orders.

If you aren't already familiar with the rules of Diplomacy: http://www.backstabbr.com/rules

Game link: http://www.backstabbr.com/game/6232584630566912/invite/S20UI3

Last edited by a moderator:
What does it entail in terms of time? Is it a once a week thing? Does it involve Doctor Who?

Sent from a phone so please forgive any errors and factual misrepresentations.

TheKeck

FORTY POSTS PER PAGE!
I was thinking we could discuss the time constraints once people showed interest. I would shoot for a turn once a day at the fastest and every other day at the slowest. You can also have it not require turns on the weekend.

The actual time commitment depends entirely on how much negotiation you participate in. I have wasted way too much time on this game in the past, but you could be much more judicious.

I'll be out of the country for a little over a week, so maybe I'll read up and see about the next round.

I would indeed be judicious!

Fanciness is ruining CoG!

TheKeck

FORTY POSTS PER PAGE!
Another cool thing about this site is that you can make a sandbox from the current game state and then put in orders to see how they play out. In case there's any doubt about the exact rules.

Ink Asylum

The cavalry's here!
You make very careful plans, invest hours negotiating with potential allies, then get stabbed in the back and bitterly watch someone else win.

Or at least that's my experience.

(j/k. I'ts a good game, just not one I can play ever again. I did win the first time I ever played, though!)

TheKeck

FORTY POSTS PER PAGE!
I have a question. How do you play this
Each person controls a country. That country has a certain number of command centers in it. (points on the map with a dot/star). Each of these points earns you a unit on the board. You are trying to control more command points to gain more armies/fleets and ultimately win the game by controlling 18 of them or declaring a draw with whoever is still in the game.

Each turn, everyone submits orders in secret. Then they are all resolved at the same time. You can order your units to move to an adjacent space, hold their position, or support another unit in doing either of those things. Nothing is random. You need to have more units supporting your action than the enemy in order to displace them. Whenever equal forces oppose each other they remain where they are and/or bounce back to their original positions.

Not much can be accomplished by one country alone. In order to gain ground you need to make alliances with other countries and work together. Until you backstab them, that is. Not that that will necessarily happen. ;) Hence the name of the game being Diplomacy. The game is lost and won on your negotiations with the other players.

That's the executive summary.
I hear it is the game that destroys friendships.
No way! Join up!

TheKeck

FORTY POSTS PER PAGE!
One free tip, if someone has shown a great deal of competence throughout the game and then suddenly "accidentally" submits an invalid order, be suspicious of that. :p

TheKeck

FORTY POSTS PER PAGE!

I need a hero.

And civil is that hero. He says he'll join us once he gets back from his vacation this weekend. That should give us 7 players, so hopefully everyone can join up to the game and we'll get going starting next week. I'm excited. :)

Any more questions on rules or anything else about the game?

TheKeck

FORTY POSTS PER PAGE!
If the questions start coming now that the game has actually started, just let me know!

Just a general tip, it's a good idea to submit some kind of best guess at your orders rather quickly WITHOUT checking "Resolve orders once all powers have issued orders." That way if something happens and you never get around to putting in your "real" orders, you won't just sit there doing nothing.

But then, once you are sure you've got the exact orders you want and don't need to negotiate more on that turn, you can click the checkbox and submit that. Then, if everyone is ready, the game will proceed early.

TheKeck

FORTY POSTS PER PAGE!
What the fuck am I supposed to do here?
Did my summary before not make sense? Do you have specific rules questions? Confused by the UI? Mostly right now you are trying to negotiate with other players before making your first moves.
I'm with muddi. I'm not 100% how the interface works. I was able to send a message though :)
You click on one of your units, then click on move, hold, support, or convoy, then click the space on the board. For a simple move you can also just click a unit, then click where you want to go. Anything giving you trouble?
How often do I need to submit a turn? I didn't realize that the game had started until now.
It's set up for every other day, excluding the weekend. The first turn is set to end on Monday night. I can move that back if people think they need more time (maybe with the eclipse?) Or the turn can end early of everyone submits their orders and clicks to let things process. Yeah... :)

Top Bottom