COGMurdered! - A DF Extravaganza

biosc1

monoputer
So, I'm thinking we should recreate our own version of Boatmurdered

Post in this thread if you are interested.

The short version is: We each play one year, then zip it up and pass it on to the next person.

Rules come from here
Rules:
One year = one turn, from spring of one year to spring of the next. Once you see the cheery green "Spring has arrived!" text, save it, zip it, and get it to the next player. Upload it to rapidshare.com or something similar, and post the link to your savegame so the next person can get it and begin. Feel free to break your turn up into a bunch of posts, but let's try and keep it moving along.

Once it's your turn, you get a week from the time that the link is posted to take your turn. If you start but can't finish, your successor has the option to pick up where you left off and play out the rest of your turn and their. If you don't start, then the old savegame just goes to the next player. If you trash the fort to total -- and I mean TOTAL -- unplayability (e.g. magma flood oh god), we'll revert to an old save, but overcoming setbacks is half the fun, so hopefully we won't have to do this.

Pretty much anything goes except for the following: 1) using huge bridge hallways to kill demons/seiging armies, and 2) things that make later turns totally unplayable such as flooding the world, mining adamantine, or removing bridges in creative ways so that the pathing eats it and the bridges can't be reconstructed and the fortress descends into an orgy of violence and starvation. If you do this, we roll back to an old save and everyone gets dwarven blue balls (which are shorter, but stronger, than the regular variety), so nobody do this please
I've already created a world and I'm using the Lazy New Pack which nicely packs in textures and tools (which are for the weak, but you can use 'em)

To keep this fun, my idea of an embark:
  • Evil (high - up for debate)
  • Savagery (high - up for debate)
  • Aquifer (no - because screw those)
  • River (yes)
  • Shallow Metal (yes)

We'll play on a 4x4 map unless everyone wants bigger. This will keep it inclusive for those with lesser PCs.

The Absolute Domain - The Land of Tenderness!

Last edited by a moderator:

biosc1

monoputer
Looks like The Matrix puked on your game.
I was never one for the ASCII look. In-game looks more like this:

You can clearly (CLEARLY!) see, a couple of carpenters, a stoneworker, a few kids, a hammerdwarf, a mechanic, brewer, crossbowdwarf, the mayor, etc...

biosc1

monoputer
That is a bit more readable. This really sounds like something for people who know how to play the game, though. :p

Well, you could always throw a wrench into well made plans. If the dwarves survive a year under your supervision, the following person may have a lot of fun ;)

biosc1

monoputer
A year? Jeez, I can't recall. Really depends on how often you pause. It's real time, but space bar pauses. Maybe 45-60 min for a year if you don't pause much?

Basically. The person to start (ie. Me) is responsible for breaking down the cart and building a shelter. Probably just dig out a cavern and make a stone door. Then I have to set the stockpile up (you just select one corner of a square and move your cursor while a flashing square shows you the size of the stockpile. Clicking again sets the stockpile). Then everyone should haul everything in. I should then start setting up the workshops. Carpenter to get beds, brewer to make beer, butcher/kitchen for nicer meals, stoneworker etc. I might set up some traps as well (considering this place will be haunted / evil / savage to some degree).

So, main goal for year one, protect the dwarves / protect the stocks / start some crafts for trading purposes (if we even get traders). Year two would refine it. Split the stockpiles up, set up quarters, etc.

It is tricky to say how long a year in-game lasts because of the ability to pause. If you are a new player, I'd expect it to go beyond an hour for a year. Heck, as an experienced player, I can drag out a year to take quite awhile. That said, don't worry about how long it takes, as this wouldn't be something anyone would expect to happen quickly. Take your time, completely destroy everything in an accident, then report the results. :)

TheKeck

FORTY POSTS PER PAGE!
It is tricky to say how long a year in-game lasts because of the ability to pause. If you are a new player, I'd expect it to go beyond an hour for a year. Heck, as an experienced player, I can drag out a year to take quite awhile. That said, don't worry about how long it takes, as this wouldn't be something anyone would expect to happen quickly. Take your time, completely destroy everything in an accident, then report the results. :)
I'm not worried about inconveniencing OTHER people.

biosc1

monoputer
I'll give it a few days until people are back from holidays, but there isn't anything stopping us from starting and adding people later.

I found a decent embark spot. Sparse trees (most of the real evil places had no trees or water...I think we call them deserts), shallow metal, river, and haunted....

Dav Slinker

Oh, and hey, by the way
Truth be told, it's an interesting idea, I just have no clue whatsoever how to play the game. I was able to dig a hole once, and then got frustrated at the complexity. But best of luck to you.

biosc1

monoputer
I'm a little upset my recording didn't get saved. I was going to pull stills from it to describe the mess that happened in the first year. I will create a thread talking about it...just...just...that herd of zombie bison...nightmares are made of what they did to my hunter...

biosc1

monoputer
Well, I kind of forgot the new pasture rules and a couple of my animals ended up dying down in the meeting room and, as luck would have it, a duck reanimated and started killing the other animals.

Bury your dead. Bury your pets.

biosc1

monoputer
I'd be game, but maybe let's try to stagger the experienced players with the inexperienced. It will give an opportunity to recover easier in case of mistakes.
Nah, you should take it. It needs some cleaning up. I did a lot of stumbling as it has been months since I played last and I avoided hitting the wiki. So, I was kind of the 'inexperienced one'. ;)

MagGnome

Le nain de jardin
Well, I kind of forgot the new pasture rules and a couple of my animals ended up dying down in the meeting room and, as luck would have it, a duck reanimated and started killing the other animals.

Bury your dead. Bury your pets.
This had me laughing out loud.

I know I'm late to the party, but count me in. I haven't played in a couple of years, but this seems like a good time to get back in the mines, so to speak.

Arphahat, did you take your turn?

This had me laughing out loud.

I know I'm late to the party, but count me in. I haven't played in a couple of years, but this seems like a good time to get back in the mines, so to speak.

Arphahat, did you take your turn?
Oh, crap. I had started, but after trying to figure out how to deal with undead, stopped with the plan of looking up strategies for it, and I got distracted and never did. Ugh, sorry.

It has been well past the week that I was supposed to play, so if you are ready to go, please download and play. Again, sorry!

MagGnome

Le nain de jardin
Go ahead and keep playing, Arphahat. I have a project to do shopping with several other things this week and wouldn't be able to start until next weekend anyway.

Top Bottom