Board Game Purchases

I've been really enjoying Roll Player lately. I have the expansion as well, but haven't tried it out yet. Also did the first Chapter of A Tale Of Pirates but we were idiots and didn't realize that the explanation for the cards are in the app so we just fumbled about a bit and lost. We know what to do now and will try to actually follow the rules next time we play.

I just backed this amazing backpack today. It's pricey, but definitely worth it. I currently just shove games into random bags whenever I take them anywhere and something like this will be a lifesaver.

Assuming my wife doesn't kill me for ordering it. I'm concidering it an early Christmas present to myself.

TheKeck

FORTY POSTS PER PAGE!
I've been really enjoying Roll Player lately. I have the expansion as well, but haven't tried it out yet. Also did the first Chapter of A Tale Of Pirates but we were idiots and didn't realize that the explanation for the cards are in the app so we just fumbled about a bit and lost. We know what to do now and will try to actually follow the rules next time we play.

I just backed this amazing backpack today. It's pricey, but definitely worth it. I currently just shove games into random bags whenever I take them anywhere and something like this will be a lifesaver.

Assuming my wife doesn't kill me for ordering it. I'm concidering it an early Christmas present to myself.
Oh that seems neat, maybe I should considONE HUNDRED AND FIFTY FOUR DOLLARS FOR A BACKPACK?!?!?!

TheKeck

FORTY POSTS PER PAGE!
That...sounds reasonable? I dunno man, I'm considering a $200 backpack myself for my upcoming holiday. My school backpack (highly recommended) was $150.

Keck, I hate to break it to you. This is 2018.
Man, Keck that noise. I get my packpacks for free from corporate events.

Edit: And it looks like the L.L. Bean packpacks like I got in elementary school and used TODAY to carry my basketball gear still only cost 40 or 50 dollars.

I’ve been hitting the game shops on a pretty much weekly basis for the past month and have a lot of new games in my collection. I’ll put up a list a little later, but the one I’d like to hear about from you folks is Vast: The Crystal Cavern.

I’m utterly fascinated by it and couldn’t resist buying it but I’m also afraid to play it since I’ve manage to screw up the rules to half of the new games I’ve played recently and this game has FIVE different sets of rules being played simultaneously.

My biggest question is about the dragon. Does it have to kill the knight to win or does it have to escape the cave to win? I’m pretty sure the rules in the box contradict the rules on the player sheet...

evilgoodwin

Abomination Unto Nuggan
I’ve been hitting the game shops on a pretty much weekly basis for the past month and have a lot of new games in my collection. I’ll put up a list a little later, but the one I’d like to hear about from you folks is Vast: The Crystal Cavern.

I’m utterly fascinated by it and couldn’t resist buying it but I’m also afraid to play it since I’ve manage to screw up the rules to half of the new games I’ve played recently and this game has FIVE different sets of rules being played simultaneously.

My biggest question is about the dragon. Does it have to kill the knight to win or does it have to escape the cave to win? I’m pretty sure the rules in the box contradict the rules on the player sheet...
I just youtube the game and see someone else explain how to play it.

I recently picked up Legacy Of Dragonholt and am really enjoying it. It's essentially a mix of D&D and Choose-Your-Own-Adventure with a pretty cool system of tracking time and story decisions as you go along. I'm currently playing it solo and loving it and will have my kids play it after I'm done and compare notes.

Played Gravwell a few times recently and I'm really enjoying it. You can really screw yourself over if you're not careful!

Flamme Rouge is a lot of fun and really does capture the feel of a cycling race. Played a 4 player game on the weekend and everyone was burning through their fast cards at the start and piling up exhaustion and even though I didn't actually win, I came REALLY close given that I was trailing the pack for most of the race.

Tried a single player game of The Networks tonight. It is overwhelming at first with all of the cards, trackers and player boards but once you get playing, it's actually quite simple and fun. Plus the art is lovely and the jokes are really good, in terms of dad-joke parody TV shows.

Ravenlock

Thx for the scarf, Sadie!
Dragonholt sounds pretty sweet, I might have to put that on the list.

Tiny Epic Zombies came in the mail this week and I haven't had a chance to playtest yet but I'm looking forward to it. The production values are ace for such a tiny package, as is usual for Gamelyn products.

I need to try some of those Tiny Epic (Blank) games. I think we have Dungeon or Kingdom at the game club.

Speaking of which, we played Dwarves In Trouble last week and had a blast. It’s a card game where you’re basically trying to get rid of as much gold as possible (ideally by stuffing it into your competitor’s pockets) so that you’ll be the poorest dwarf left when the dragon comes back and eats the people who took the most. The balance shifts all over the place as you play and you never know when the dragon is going to show up, so you can’t build long-term strategies unless you’re feeling very lucky.

Just played Inis tonight. That was neat. I’m not the most strategy-minded boardgamer but I can definitely appreciate the game and could see coming to really enjoy it once I knew most of the cards well. The artwork is stunning too.

Ravenlock

Thx for the scarf, Sadie!
YES! I love Inis. Happy to break that out any time I can. The battle mechanic where entering a fight means you WILL be stuck in it until both parties agree to a truce is brilliant.

I found that out the hard way when I, on the first move of the game, accidentally went to war by moving into a neighbour's territory. I thought it was fine to walk in and say hello. They did not. I was punished for my impudence :(

Played The Thing again tonight and we got quite close to the final escape except that they tied me to a chair so I couldn't help them fight The Thing near the end. Of course, I was infected so while I put up a good show, I didn't really mind them dying so that we could win :)

I was looking at Nyctophobia, Stumblewood and Ultimate Werewolf: Legacy. Passed on Werewolf as you need a minimum of 9 players. Nyctophobia and Stumblewood both intrigued me but I'll hold off for now.

Top Bottom