Avengers: Infinity War

Did Infinity War subvert your expectations?

• Total voters

TheKeck

FORTY POSTS PER PAGE!
Yeah, I think this movie speaks to both the strengths and weaknesses of the MCU. The groundwork they have laid over the last 10 years makes a movie like this possible and awesome. But it absolutely wouldn't work as a standalone.

I don't understand the merits of even worrying about if this non-standalone movie can stand alone. It can't, but who cares? It's not meant to.

I mean, that's on her (and him for taking her, I guess). It's a little presumptuous to come into the middle or end of a story and then expect it to make sense. I mean, I didn't start with the sixth Harry Potter book and complain or expect others to catch me up, you know?

TheKeck

FORTY POSTS PER PAGE!
Yeah, honestly, I agree. It doesn't bother me at all. I love the whole connected universe thing. (Other than the fact that it "forces" me to see ALL of the movies so I don't miss anything, but that's rarely a concern.) It is true, though, that some MCU films do better at standing on their own than others. Just another aspect to analyze. Shrug.

muddi900

Blasphemous Outlaw Ranger
Hey guys, she doesn't really care about movies all that much and can't really understand American accents without subtitles, so it was not a huge deal. I was just speaking about my experience.

Young Al Capone

Part of the problem
Just saw it, great movie!

Random thoughts;

Agreed on Chris Evans, I cannot imagine a better Cap. Cap has always been one of my favorites, and he does the character much justice.

Also thinking that Wolvie may be right about Nebula. Pretty certain in fact.

Edit: To clarify I think Nebula will be somehow directly responsible for Thanos defeat, but I doubt that Thanos is killed.

Iron Spider suit reveal was awesome.

Parker and T'challa will be back for sure. Those two are too popular to leave dead.

Last edited:

Young Al Capone

Part of the problem
I really feel like they have got an excellent feel for when to lay on the fan service and when to take the story in their own direction at this point. This one had tons of fan service but never let it get in the way of telling it's own story.

Saw this. I thought it was meh. In fact I had forgotten I'd seen it the very next morning. It was like eating Captain Crunch.

The problem is I felt zero suspense. Knowing they had a slew of sequels planned made any disappearing heroes not matter. At least the ones I cared about. It was the first Marvel movie I can remember when the audience didn't hoot and holler at the end.

The only suspense I felt was at the end scene, post-credits. A quick Google led me to discover who's symbol was on that pager.

Even though it's obvious that (most?) everyone is coming back, I was still very much taken by surprise by how things went down.
Really? Interesting. Even my lady (who is still surprised at the internet!) was basically, "Oh. Well, I know they're bringing X back. Why are they doing this?" Plus, she cries at literally everything. I mean everything. Previews. Ads on the subway. Radio programs. Everything. Not even a wet eye on this one (though she loves this Spider-Man).

I dunno. I was pretty disappointed, but also forgot about it soon after leaving so I guess my disappointment wasn't even that impactful. Black Panther, oth, stuck with me for weeks.

EDIT: I guess I would have been surprised if they hadn't spent half the movie saying, "Yo, this guy? When he gets all the stones? Check this out. He's gonna just snap his fingers and half the world will disappear yo." Then, as was foretold, he did just that.

TheKeck

FORTY POSTS PER PAGE!
I mean, they tried to fake us out twice that they were going to stop him. First when they destroyed Vision's Stone. Second when Thor put the axe in his chest. Nobody I knew was expecting him to snap those fingers. And then for the movie to just end when it did.

I mean, they tried to fake us out twice that they were going to stop him. First when they destroyed Vision's Stone. Second when Thor put the axe in his chest. Nobody I knew was expecting him to snap those fingers. And then for the movie to just end when it did.
Fake out! Oh my sweet, sweet, innocent Keck.

You're right. They really had us fooled.

TheKeck

FORTY POSTS PER PAGE!
Fake out! Oh my sweet, sweet, innocent Keck.

You're right. They really had us fooled.
I mean, it's really rare in these movies that the villain wins, even if we all know it's only temporary. I don't think this is controversial. If it had been any other Marvel movie and I said something about thinking the heroes might actually lose I could accept the "sweet, sweet innocent" jab. But this clearly subverted expectations. :confused:

Young Al Capone

Part of the problem
I am not sure I agree about that, but I am definitely enjoying them.

I just mean that I now anticipate changes from the comics more than the comic story lines themselves. The imagery from Civil War was there, but everything from the premise to the conclusion was changed in the cinematic universe.

The movie's take on Civil War was definitely better than the mediocre comics run. Infinity War is a toss up for me. I'm mostly impressed that Infinity War (the film) even works; it is impressive in its own right.

As for anticipating the story, well, c'mon. The film literally starts by telling you what the worst outcome is and previous movies hint at it; the villain "winning" at the end is neither surprising or upsetting when you know all the dead will come back to life to be in movies already greenlighted in the first place. In this way, the movies are becoming truly like their comics counterparts, and in that particular vein, at least, I'd say not for the better.

Top Bottom