Assassin's Creed Origins

Didn't see a thread, so apologies.

I'm on spring break (woo!) and thought I'd try to get in a few hours of gaming before school starts next week. Loving this game (only completed a few hours so far). I'm sure this is something that will take hours to get through, so this'll be my summer break game as well.

Love the setting, the story (so far), and I do think Ubisoft has perfected the physics of movement in gaming. It's all so natural, so clean, even graceful.

This might supplant the last one as my favorite in the series. Even the fighting feels balanced and smooth, more strategic.

Purple Santa

keeper of the day and end
I would almost guarantee this will become your favorite. If you are liking it now, it only gets better. The more time you spend just wandering around, finding stuff, that is the real beauty of this game. If you have the time, take your time with this game. Don't rush it. I talked up this game aplenty in the DAY/END threads. I put in over 100 hrs in this game, which I don't do with many games anymore. Best advice, go explore and enjoy the world the developers created.

Got up this morning really early to play a bit...and I just got my Keck handed to me in the first area. I think this is going to be like the Witcher in that way: you're not strong enough yet, go get your big boy pants and and come back when you can hang with the men. Love that, gives you a sense of a) accomplishment and b) revenge.

Exodus

Bully Hunter
I got kinda bored. Every fight is charge up my guard break, kill, move on to the next. Got the final fantasy set and it's unfortunately weaker than my curse weapons even after upgrade that practically one shot. Honestly if you're liking the combat don't use curse weapons. 25hrs played 50% progression. So yeah at least money vs. time is worth it.

Story is okay but I liked syndicate more because of the hitman missions. Sides nothing beats the pimp cane moves.

This game is my crack. Oh boy. Spring break is over and I think I'm going to give my next door neighbor my controller until semester is over. Otherwise I'm gonna flunk every class and ruin my relationship and probably lose my job.

Purple Santa

This game is my crack. Oh boy. Spring break is over and I think I'm going to give my next door neighbor my controller until semester is over. Otherwise I'm gonna flunk every class and ruin my relationship and probably lose my job.
I totally get this. I haven't been obsessed with a game in sometime. I don't think I was this obsessed with the last Tomb Raider game, and I am the biggest homer for TR. There was just something about the game that made me want to just go a bit more, find that "?" to see what it was and all the other stuff that you found meandering. Just talking about it makes me want to go out and try the DLC but I really am trying to move onto other stuff I have laying around.

I totally get this. I haven't been obsessed with a game in sometime. I don't think I was this obsessed with the last Tomb Raider game, and I am the biggest homer for TR. There was just something about the game that made me want to just go a bit more, find that "?" to see what it was and all the other stuff that you found meandering. Just talking about it makes me want to go out and try the DLC but I really am trying to move onto other stuff I have laying around.
It's the question marks that kill me! Always so near, so tempting.

Also: poison darts/bodies are the best thing to come to the game in ages. One kill begets many others, especially when they walk all around. So delicious!

Ravenlock

Thx for the scarf, Sadie!
I'm talking about this game everywhere else so I guess I might as well join this thread too. This game is amazing, now easily my favorite in the series, and one of the best games of 2017. And the DLC has only made it better, both times. Curse of the Pharaohs is superb.

Ravenlock

I mean if you've never liked one or something, this won't change your mind. It's still pseudohistorical stabbing wrapped in sci-fi nonsense. But this is the biggest and most beautiful world they've ever built, the best mechanics they've had in the series, and IMO the most interesting characters and sidequests, especially once they start carrying over into the DLC episodes. I'm a fan of the series already, to be sure, but I haven't been this wrapped up in one in a long time.

Keck, it's amazing. Haven't thought about the mechanics of a game like this since the first Splinter Cell. I challenge myself for "no alarm" missions, and it's just so much fun. I'm not kind enough for no-kill missions, though. A man needs his justice!

TheKeck

FORTY POSTS PER PAGE!
I mean if you've never liked one or something, this won't change your mind. It's still pseudohistorical stabbing wrapped in sci-fi nonsense. But this is the biggest and most beautiful world they've ever built, the best mechanics they've had in the series, and IMO the most interesting characters and sidequests, especially once they start carrying over into the DLC episodes. I'm a fan of the series already, to be sure, but I haven't been this wrapped up in one in a long time.
I was a pretty big fan of AC 1,2,Brotherhood. I hated AC3 by the end. Haven't played one since, except I started ACIV when they gave it away for free recently. I was enjoying that well enough, I think, but then I got a Switch.

Ravenlock

I think opinion is pretty universal that 3 is "the bad one" or at least "the worst of the less good ones", so I think that's reasonable. Given the ones you've liked, I suspect you're gonna fall into Origins just fine. It has a harsh cold open, but it pretty quickly comes around.

TheKeck

FORTY POSTS PER PAGE!
I think opinion is pretty universal that 3 is "the bad one" or at least "the worst of the less good ones", so I think that's reasonable. Given the ones you've liked, I suspect you're gonna fall into Origins just fine. It has a harsh cold open, but it pretty quickly comes around.
The thing is, I didn't even really want AC3. I was already tired of the games. My wife surprised me with it. :/

Purple Santa

I'm talking about this game everywhere else so I guess I might as well join this thread too. This game is amazing, now easily my favorite in the series, and one of the best games of 2017. And the DLC has only made it better, both times. Curse of the Pharaohs is superb.
I was wondering where you were. I know you loved this game as much as I did (probably even more if possible).

Even Unity is better than 3. That says it all.

Man, I can't think of a bigger enthusiasm killer in video games than the Asbergo (sp?) sections of AC games. Who the Keck likes those motherkecking bullkeck keckity Keck sections? Stupid, boring, and talk about taking you out of the story. They add nothing, and I only want the characters to die.

Keck those sections in the Keck with a Keck.

Ravenlock

Now, to be clear, I love the dumb sci fi wrapper on the whole thing, and I think the elements of that in Origins where you go deeper into a tomb and suddenly you're listening to an alien physics lecture (um, spoilers I guess) are fantastic.

But yes, the "not being in the world anymore" parts of the games have always been kind of lame. Origins did the best they could with those but it's still the low point of the experience. Syndicate was better for just not having them at all.

Ravenlock

I was wondering where you were. I know you loved this game as much as I did (probably even more if possible).
I'm closing in on being done, even though I don't want to be. Level 48, did every side quest on the mainland and in the first DLC. Working through the 2nd DLC story now. Didn't complete every location, but I probably will before I finally close it down for good because I really don't want to leave any content in this thing untouched, however trivial.

Now, to be clear, I love the dumb sci fi wrapper on the whole thing, and I think the elements of that in Origins where you go deeper into a tomb and suddenly you're listening to an alien physics lecture (um, spoilers I guess) are fantastic.

But yes, the "not being in the world anymore" parts of the games have always been kind of lame. Origins did the best they could with those but it's still the low point of the experience. Syndicate was better for just not having them at all.
For my part, I've hated them since the first. I don't think it's well written, plotted, or executed.

I think what got me was that I thought it was optional this game (since there's an option to leave the machine in the pause screen). Then, boom! I'm in the present with some bad dialogue and voice acting. The overall quality of those segments has always been very poor. I wonder if a different team writes them?

On another note, I'm having a fun time imagining Bayek's (sp) wife is one of the Sand Snakes. ;)

I did tell my partner last night that I'm prolly going to have to ask her friend to hold my controller until the semester is over. I wish I could quit this game. :(

Purple Santa

For my part, I've hated them since the first. I don't think it's well written, plotted, or executed.

I think what got me was that I thought it was optional this game (since there's an option to leave the machine in the pause screen). Then, boom! I'm in the present with some bad dialogue and voice acting. The overall quality of those segments has always been very poor. I wonder if a different team writes them?

On another note, I'm having a fun time imagining Bayek's (sp) wife is one of the Sand Snakes. ;)

I did tell my partner last night that I'm prolly going to have to ask her friend to hold my controller until the semester is over. I wish I could quit this game. :(
Bayek's wife is one of the Sand Snakes, no doubt.

Don't be such a downer, you can play while working and school. Where is that "I can do anything" civil mindset? ;)

Bayek's wife is one of the Sand Snakes, no doubt.

Don't be such a downer, you can play while working and school. Where is that "I can do anything" civil mindset? ;)
I'm taking five classes and working 24 hours a week! Every minute I play this game should be spent either doing research for my project, working on my project, commenting on other students' projects, or reading one of the three novels I have to read every week.

Someone really needs to create a hybrid elliptical/gaming machine.

If by spending time on the game you mean carrying people around on my shoulders, then yes.

My god, does no one in Egypt have the ability to walk?

Top Bottom