A Fourth PAX?

Ink Asylum

The cavalry's here!
So Robert Khoo, Penny-Arcade Business Manager, tweeted the following photo today, captioned simply: "Hmmmm."

So there are time zone clocks and countdown timers for PAX East, PAX Aus, and PAX Prime, but also an empty space at the top. The time zone for the clock matches the US Central Time Zone (technically it also matches up to India and parts of Russia).

The tweet was re-tweeted by the Official_PAX twitter and posted to the front page of Penny-Arcade by Gabe.

Speculation is already starting about what exactly it means.
Popular guesses include Dallas, Austin, Chicago, or Canada.

Thoughts? A third North-American PAX could take some of the pressure off the increasingly popular coastal conventions, but it is also asking a lot of exhibitors. Nintendo already isn't showing up to PAX East. Will other companies follow suit?

Last edited by a moderator:

Ink Asylum

The cavalry's here!
As much as I would love for a third US PAX to take the pressure off of Prime and East, it would be a shame for Europe to continue missing out on their own PAX.

Ten19

Polyhedral Gyre
My guess would be either Canada or Texas, anything else might cannibalize from East too much.

Also, my super crazy guess is Bangkok, Thailand.

biosc1

monoputer
We don't want your stinkin' arcades full of pennies and dickwolves!

Most likely the only place in Canada worth doing is Toronto or Montreal. Vancouver is the only other city that could host it properly and we are only a few hours drive away from Seattle.

As much as I would love for a third US PAX to take the pressure off of Prime and East, it would be a shame for Europe to continue missing out on their own PAX.

I guess I'll just be selfish and hope that poor Europe continues to suffer. :)

Nashville has a massive new convention center, but I doubt it's the kind of big city that can properly serve PAX. Though the kind of money it would bring in would (kinda probably maybe) go far in convincing the city to finish the damn bus/trolley/whatever it's going to be system they've been talking about for, oh say, a year or two.

Also, I wouldn't have to pay as much money to get there, I know some awesome places to eat and it would perhaps be a prelude to a get-together close to me so I can do whatever cool/kinky/wild and crazy/possibly illegal but fun stuff you guys do in Austin.

destoo

Colonist
I saw an article/tweet/rumour about PAX Shanghai a couple of weeks ago. I will try to find it.
But my money's on another Asia-Pacific show. Not a 3rd american PAX.

I saw an article/tweet/rumour about PAX Shanghai a couple of weeks ago. I will try to find it.
But my money's on another Asia-Pacific show. Not a 3rd american PAX.
That won't match with the CST clock, though. And besides, China doesn't seem like the kind of place that Gabe and Tycho would be willing to pander to, considering its soul-crushing dystopia vs. their niceness.

destoo

Colonist
CST-Canada.. I don't think they'll be able to find a barn large enough. Calgary would have been nice, but it's located in Mountain time
Saskatoon or Regina (each pop. 200,000), or Winnipeg (pop. 600,000)...
They'd still need a BIG center. And they don't have that.

It will probably be announced officially on Friday.

Abyssion

Every ****ing Day.
I'm okay with San Antonio, I'm hopefully going to move out there with my girlfriend in a few months. Now if Google gets their fiver service up over there I will have no reason to ever leave that city...

Bone

Terribad at game
I'm a little surprised it's SA instead of... well, Austin, Dallas, Houston. But it likely has the capacity for a convention of this size. And late January? It's going to be a beautiful time to visit.

Ink Asylum

The cavalry's here!
Khoo mentioned that the convention center is bigger than the one for East and the hotels are all right around it.

That would be at the bottom of the list keeping me away. I get that it's a thing that really bothered some people, but I just can't bring myself to care.

Topping the list of why I don't go would be all the unwashed nerds and not being able to get tickets before they sell out.

We ought to decide where we might meet there. Will anyone be bringing a video camera or something to document? Or will we just go to PAX then have lunch at a cheap burger joint, etc.?

Top Bottom