"A Few Words About..." A Series by JPublic

You seem to be more into RPGs and strategy, at least so far.

That is what I am enjoying about this, I do not have the patience or attention span to play these games typically but I still enjoy them. Especially RPGs! Strategy I am terrible at and as a result don't have much interest.

evilgoodwin

Abomination Unto Nuggan
Well, we're talking about the Genesis here. ;)
Don't forget about Sonic 3D Blast!

...actually, DO forget about it.

Yes.

Remember guys, you're talking to a guy who has NEVER been a real fan of platformers.

As an aside, one of the things that mystifies me most in the Streamer community is why practically everyone does a Sonic 2006 Stream at some point.
Because it's bad. They do it because it's really bad.

Dav Slinker

Oh, and hey, by the way
Yes.

Remember guys, you're talking to a guy who has NEVER been a real fan of platformers.

As an aside, one of the things that mystifies me most in the Streamer community is why practically everyone does a Sonic 2006 Stream at some point.
I know the answer to this! It was a high profile game that was very very bad, and both streamers and their fans are very very unoriginal in their content.

You seem to be more into RPGs and strategy, at least so far.

That is what I am enjoying about this, I do not have the patience or attention span to play these games typically but I still enjoy them. Especially RPGs! Strategy I am terrible at and as a result don't have much interest.
You ain't seen nothin' yet.

And now, the first game of my Super Nintendo Collection. I remember being in grade 11 or 12. I wanted a SNES for Christmas, and I got it. Even after I ended up picking up a few games, I particularly remember the SNES for what my mother used to call my 'Daily Pilgrimages' where I'd visit various rental stores - Blockbuster, Family Video, Rogers Video, Microplay, a couple others - to see what was new and interesting to rent. I probably put 100s of kilometers on my parents cars that way. I was very much a creature of habit even back then.

But, if we're going to talk about the SNES, we have to talk about the game everyone got with a launch console.

Super Mario World (SNES)

A short one, this time.

Interestingly, aside from playing Super Mario Brothers in the arcade, I had never been really into the Mario game scene. Heck, I never played SMB2 or 3 until All-Stars came out.

For a game in a genre I'm not a huge fan of, SMW was a surprisingly addictive game for me. I enjoyed the map-based level design, I enjoyed how the game had multiple exits and solutions to some levels, and I *really* enjoyed how the game made it blatantly clear when there were alternate routes to be found.

The gameplay was fun, the music was impressive (it blew the Turbographx I'd been rocking out of the water, and honestly, better than the Genesis could do), and I never got frustrated enough with the game that I'd rage quit. No Mario since has ever kept me entertained or interested enough to bother to play extensively.

I think I'm going to cover games by year. Probably in order of ownership.

Super Castlevania IV

In retrospect, I guess it makes a lot of sense why I finished SMW. The other game I purchased right off are all hard as hell. I may be unique in thinking that about Castlevania IV, but I found it remarkably frustrating game to play as a late teen. Interestingly, I loaded it up just the other day and did remarkably well considering I hadn't played it in about 20 years.

Castlevania IV was a very noteworthy experience in a lot of ways. Remember, I had come from the Genesis, then the Turbographx (curse you, young JPublic), and then various PC games. I was used to bleeps, bloops, and the like, with highlights being the incredibly synth FM-generated music of the Genesis and whatever the arcades provided.

Going from that to the ADPCM-generated music of the SNES was a very important experience to me, which is funny because I'm not an audiophile at all - I don't really dig surround sound, and usually just use my TV speakers or simple headphones. But we'll really get into this later on a very specific title coming up, for now I encourage you to go listen to these kickin' tunes:

My main issue with Castlevania IV is the controls/movement. Everything seems very cumbersome and awkward in the game, leading to a lot of deaths or damage due to the fact that I simply couldn't react fast enough, or rather, I could react fast enough, but Simon's responses took to long to occur. A great example is an enemy flying at you from offscreen quickly - if you get the whip attach off immediately, you can kill it, but even a short delay will get you hit. This isn't even a latency issue caused by my Retron->Receiver->TV setup, because I've had the same problem on my Retron as on my original SNES connected to a CRT (yup, I still have one). The movement just lacks the fluidity and ease of the later games, and even in some ways the earlier ones.

I like Castevania IV, though. It's fun, it's hard, but I think in the end it's fair - if you get enough experience I suspect a no-continue run (the game uses a horrible password system) would be possible. Hell, I managed it when I owned the game, and I'm bad at platformers. I even forgive it for being a remake of Castlevania I (sort of, it's convoluted).

You can even get it as part of a SNES Classic!

No links today, I'm in a rush.

jpublic

Threadslayer
And now, for the second game in the 'Apparently Younger JPublic was Masocistic' series.

Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts (SNES)

This is the third game in the Ghosts 'n Goblins series. Like the previous games, it's got the fire-and-forget jumping, the armor that gets knocked off in one hit, the requirement to finish the game twice (with a special weapon) to see the 'good' ending, and is generally frustrating and difficult.

Changes gameplay wise mostly focus on Arthur. He's now got 3 levels or armor: the standard steel; the bronze upgrade that upgrades his weapon to the magic versions; and finally the gold armor that adds the super magic attack and a shield that blocks a single shot. There's also arguably a 4th level, with a better shield that clan block up to 3 shots and makes your magic faster. I think this was also the version that introduced the double jump, which allowed you to change direction in between the first and second jump, which was marginally handy.

There's some regional differences too, apparently in all non-Japanese versions, the boss was renamed from Samael to Sardius, and crosses were changed to ankhs. The Europeans had even more changes, with various obstacles and enemies removed to reduce difficulty and slowdown.

And my word does this game have slowdown. It's really not well programmed, with a lot of flash in, pretty low-fi music and sound effects that were well beneath what other early SNES games could do, and some odd text issues.

I...really don't like this game much. I loaded it up as well to refresh my memory, and unlike Castlevania IV where I had a lot of fun and was left with a changed opinion, I was mostly frustated and felt confirmed in my disdain.

I have finished this (mostly) honestly. I think I gave myself extra lives or something, but other than that I won it fine back in the day. I'm probably never going to bother with it again.

It's part of the SNES Classic collection, if you feel like punishing yourself.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Ghouls_'n_Ghosts

Top Bottom