welcome to the CoG network!
Colony of Gamers

Go Back   Colony of Gamers > Gaming the CoG Way > General Gaming

Old 01-12-2018, 10:18 AM   #1
Purple Santa
keeper of the day and end

WeekEND Gaming (01.12.18) - What are YOU playing?

Another week another 50 cents in my wage jar. If you made it this far, applause, since you have survived another one. If you were left behind on Wednesday sometime and still there, well we will wait for you. Or maybe we will just see you on Monday again

Either way, gather around your weekEND and attempt to enjoy it.

What are YOU playing?

I don't see Purple Santa as the retiring type. I see his endgame as more the "...And nobody ever saw him again" type of deal. ~ Dav

Rails? The DAY/END threads don't need no stinking rails, they just meander like a drunk looking for a bench to flop down on~ Gorvi

Hell, 'derail'? This is like calling the surface of the sun 'warmish'. Somewhat lacking in appropriate magnitude~ Jpublic
Purple Santa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 10:54 AM   #2
Dav Slinker
stay woke

Ooh, look who can afford a jar!

Legal Uppers, my blog, including creative writing and travelogues.
Dav Slinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 11:28 AM   #3
xoanon
HOANON

You had a dishwasher?
xoanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 11:49 AM   #4
Gorvi
You're not my supervisor!

Three day weekend incoming, with no big plans, so it should thankfully be pretty laid back. The weather is supposed to be great this weekend, low 60s to mid 50s, so I'm sure we'll be out of the house plenty doing something. When the kids are in bed and I can game:

Tokyo Xanadu I'm almost done with the last side quest before I go to the last dungeon. Of course, that's not the real last dungeon, there's an epilogue chapter with the real final dungeon for the true ending I have to do, but I'll definitely be finishing that up this weekend. Overall I'm really happy with the game, I was high on it to begin with, it lulled a bit in the middle, but it's ending really strong. A lot of games I've played lately have done that.

And that's really all I've got going. I'm a bit undecided on what my next portable game is going to be, for some reason I've been drawn to the Ape Escape PSP game of all things, but that could change depending on my mood. I don't want to jump into anything too deep since Ys 8 is getting it's patch in a couple of weeks and I'll be playing that right away. Maybe Parasite Eve 2?

Otherwise I'm going to go back to either Yakuza 4 or Ni No Kuni 2. Both sound really good right now.

Also, you know you have too many games in your collection when you hear an old game mentioned on a podcast and you have to go online to consult your spreadsheet to see if you have it or not to play it a bit later.
Old 01-12-2018, 11:50 AM   #5
Young Al Capone
Part of the problem

Torchlight 2 and Rocket League mostly, but still working on Nier too.
Young Al Capone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 11:58 AM   #6
jpublic
Threadslayer

Messing around a bit in FNV, but this weekend will probably mostly be more KH: BBS.

So the saga of my furnace replacement continues. I've had two estimates, and the recommendations are so vastly different I need a third to play tiebreaker.
Old 01-12-2018, 12:21 PM   #7
EWolfmanD
Phantom Thieves

I've still been playing a lot of Star Wars Galaxy of Heroes. I think my Phoenix squad is coming along ok. I was hoping to finish in the top 100 of squad arena today, but it looks like I slipped to 102. Maybe tomorrow.

I've been busy this week, so I haven't gotten a chance to play Assassin's Creed Origins. Hopefully I'll be able to get back to it this weekend.
Old 01-12-2018, 12:24 PM   #8
jpublic
Threadslayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by EWolfmanD View Post
I've still been playing a lot of Star Wars Galaxy of Heroes. I think my Phoenix squad is coming along ok. I was hoping to finish in the top 100 of squad arena today, but it looks like I slipped to 102. Maybe tomorrow.

I've been busy this week, so I haven't gotten a chance to play Assassin's Creed Origins. Hopefully I'll be able to get back to it this weekend.
Oh for the days of being in the beginner ranks of the arena. I barely consistently beat 400 now.
Old 01-12-2018, 12:28 PM   #9
Purple Santa
keeper of the day and end

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dav Slinker View Post
Ooh, look who can afford a jar!
I found one in the abandoned house a few doors down from me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoanon View Post
You had a dishwasher?
One that works? Not for some time.

I have an extended weekend too. I really want to spend tons of time playing more AC Oranges of course. I do want to play something else, as to not experience AC burnout as I sometimes do with this series. There is Mario O to be played. I did see a game mentioned for the Switch, Mom hid my game or something like that. Seemed odd enough and short enough that I may buy that.

I don't see Purple Santa as the retiring type. I see his endgame as more the "...And nobody ever saw him again" type of deal. ~ Dav

Rails? The DAY/END threads don't need no stinking rails, they just meander like a drunk looking for a bench to flop down on~ Gorvi

Hell, 'derail'? This is like calling the surface of the sun 'warmish'. Somewhat lacking in appropriate magnitude~ Jpublic
Purple Santa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 12:43 PM   #10
EWolfmanD
Phantom Thieves

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpublic View Post
Oh for the days of being in the beginner ranks of the arena. I barely consistently beat 400 now.
Yeah, I was hoping to gain as much as I can while I can cheese stuff with Phoenix. I beat a team that had 6k more power than me last night.

Who do you think I should go for in the guild store first? I was thinking Old Ben, Rey Scavenger, Jyn, or Rex. I wouldn't mind Kylo Ren since I like the char or Bariss sometime. I think I saw something about Darth Maul for ships later or some dark side battle maybe? And Luke Farmboy for R2D2 eventually?

It just seems a little overwhelming since most of those chars take 80 shards to unlock, which will take forever right now. So I don't want to waste time on the wrong char if someone will be useful first. I might miss out on the 5* thrawn because I might not get Chopper to 5* in time, so I regret wasting my first cantina credits on unlocking QGJ. Although some people in my guild said that Thrawn doesn't matter until I can get the 7* version of him to use in later battles, so maybe it won't be too bad if I miss out on him in the next event.

Right now I would really like to get Zeb or someone else to 6* because my guild leader switched his main to the guild and is soloing the first AAT raid. If I could get in to tag that, it would help a lot with the guild store and gear.
Old 01-12-2018, 01:38 PM   #11
MagGnome
Déjà vu

I'm hoping to wrap up Steamworld Dig 2 this weekend. I discovered that an area I thought was at 100% completion was only at 93%. I spent an hour exploring and found a secret that bumped it up to 96%, but after another hour or two of searching I'll be damned if I can find the last thing. I'm considering looking at a guide, although I'd rather not do that. Once I finally find the last secret I'll move on to what I'm pretty sure is the final bit of the game.

I was volunteered to host a Great British Baking Show viewing party on Sunday, so that should be interesting. I started watching the show this week after months of hearing some friends gush about it, and I really like it. My friends said they would bring pastries, and I may pick up a fancy cake for the occasion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorvi View Post
Also, you know you have too many games in your collection when you hear an old game mentioned on a podcast and you have to go online to consult your spreadsheet to see if you have it or not to play it a bit later.
When I was younger I kept a spreadsheet of all the games I owned. Maybe I should do that again. There have been a few times where I went to pick up a game on Steam only to discover I already owned it on GOG, or vice versa.

Then I could spend time updating the spreadsheet instead of actually gaming.
MagGnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 01:52 PM   #12
jpublic
Threadslayer

Quote:
Yeah, I was hoping to gain as much as I can while I can cheese stuff with Phoenix. I beat a team that had 6k more power than me last night.
Out of curiosity, what's your team strength?

Quote:
Who do you think I should go for in the guild store first? I was thinking Old Ben, Rey Scavenger, Jyn, or Rex. I wouldn't mind Kylo Ren since I like the char or Bariss sometime. I think I saw something about Darth Maul for ships later or some dark side battle maybe? And Luke Farmboy for R2D2 eventually?
Guild (orange) or Guild Event (yellow) store? They're both highly variable, so just get whomever you can't farm via other methods - be it other 'stable' stores like the Cantina, Arena, and GW stores, or via Cantina Battles and Hard Battles.

Of the ones you listed, Kylo, Maul, Jyn, or Rex. Probably Maul, since he's a beast once fully built, and Sith teams are ludicrous.

The thing (for me) has been to remember that some stores - Cantina, Arena, and GW, are stable. You can always count on getting something eventually if you consistently work on them.

Quote:
It just seems a little overwhelming since most of those chars take 80 shards to unlock, which will take forever right now. So I don't want to waste time on the wrong char if someone will be useful first. I might miss out on the 5* thrawn because I might not get Chopper to 5* in time, so I regret wasting my first cantina credits on unlocking QGJ. Although some people in my guild said that Thrawn doesn't matter until I can get the 7* version of him to use in later battles, so maybe it won't be too bad if I miss out on him in the next event.
They're right about Thrawn. QGJ is a fairly good Jedi, though, so it's not all bad.

Quote:
Right now I would really like to get Zeb or someone else to 6* because my guild leader switched his main to the guild and is soloing the first AAT raid. If I could get in to tag that, it would help a lot with the guild store and gear.
I have a couple guild members who can solo AAT or Heroic Rancor, it irritates me, because according to what I've seen they do it using Airplane Mode tricks.

Last edited by jpublic; 01-12-2018 at 01:58 PM.
jpublic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 02:39 PM   #13
EWolfmanD
Phantom Thieves

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpublic View Post
Out of curiosity, what's your team strength?
It looks like my Phoenix team is 13729.

Quote:
Guild (orange) or Guild Event (yellow) store? They're both highly variable, so just get whomever you can't farm via other methods - be it other 'stable' stores like the Cantina, Arena, and GW stores, or via Cantina Battles and Hard Battles.

Of the ones you listed, Kylo, Maul, Jyn, or Rex. Probably Maul, since he's a beast once fully built, and Sith teams are ludicrous.

The thing (for me) has been to remember that some stores - Cantina, Arena, and GW, are stable. You can always count on getting something eventually if you consistently work on them.
I meant the guild store. I didn't know about the event one. I just checked and it's locked until I hit 65.

I think I might just go with Jyn. She's in the store right now, and I like the char. Plus her raid team for the rancor seemed kinda interesting. I'm not sure if I should grab Maul's shards too when I see him or just save up and grab Jyn every time. I guess I need to see how fast I earn guild tokens once I can get into the other raids.

Quote:
They're right about Thrawn. QGJ is a fairly good Jedi, though, so it's not all bad.
That's good. According to a calculator I was using, it would take 12 days to get 5* Chopper if I do 2 cantina refreshes a day. And the Thrawn event is supposed to start next week and then end on the 24th. I was worried about barely missing it, but I guess I won't if the 5* Thrawn isn't that important to get.

The only thing I saw about QGJ was that he was good once you could zeta his leader skill, and that's a really long time away for me.
Old 01-12-2018, 03:18 PM   #14
jpublic
Threadslayer

Quote:
I
I think I might just go with Jyn. She's in the store right now, and I like the char. Plus her raid team for the rancor seemed kinda interesting. I'm not sure if I should grab Maul's shards too when I see him or just save up and grab Jyn every time. I guess I need to see how fast I earn guild tokens once I can get into the other raids.
Jyn is a good leader. Pair her with Wedge/Biggs, Leia, and a healer....hmm, Chirrut if you can get him. Ackbar isn't bad, but you'll want to buff him with speed once you unlock mods.

Incidentally, Baze Malbus plus Chirrut is a freaking brick wall.

Quote:
That's good. According to a calculator I was using, it would take 12 days to get 5* Chopper if I do 2 cantina refreshes a day. And the Thrawn event is supposed to start next week and then end on the 24th. I was worried about barely missing it, but I guess I won't if the 5* Thrawn isn't that important to get.
Thrawn is a really great Empire unit once you get him to 7*, but even then to make him shine you need to give him both his Zetas. I only have 2 characters with Zetas, and just unlocked the challenge to properly farm materials.

I don't even have him at 7*, as I've been unable to beat the final tier. I'm hoping my 66k Phoenix team will be capable this time.

Quote:
The only thing I saw about QGJ was that he was good once you could zeta his leader skill, and that's a really long time away for me.
Zetas in general take a character from 'powerful' to 'ludicrous'. One of my two is Count Dooku, and he's so powerful I've had him be last man standing when I saw sure my team was going to be wiped.
Old 01-12-2018, 05:52 PM   #15
Spigot
Turn Me

Never have I been so enthused for a Friday afternoon to come. It's been a crazy long week, I still haven't finished my budget prep or schedule overhauls and we had a crazy freezing rain/blizzard blow in through the day today... and I had to go drive an hour (on a good day) away to help another manager, so the drive home was a delight.

But here I am, happy and healthy and home. And here's what I'm hoping to play this weekend:

Nier: Automata (PS4) - I'm somewhere deep in the guts of the C playthrough right now. I was too tired the last couple of nights to play this, but I'm sure I'll sink a chunk of time into it over the weekend.

Finding Paradise (PC) - I'm really enjoying this so far. It's not as heart-wrenching as To The Moon (at least, not yet), but there's a nice little twist to how things are playing out that make it more than just a retread of TTM. Plus the music and writing are excellent.

Meridian: Age Of Invention (PC) - Thanks to... someone... who played this earlier and recommended it for people who like the Hercules games. It's definitely an older, less refined version, but it scratches that clicky itch.

Pictopix (PC) - Finally, a fantastic PC version of Picross. I've tried a few other versions over the years but this is the first to approach the DS/3DS versions.

Fog Of Love (Table) - I heard about Fog Of Love on Shut Up & Sit Down a month or two ago and it really twigged my interest. It was finally released in Canada and I grabbed my copy today. May try to get my wife to play it with me over the weekend, though I'm not sure if that's a wise idea
Old 01-13-2018, 12:56 AM   #16
Ravenlock
Thx for the scarf, Sadie!

I played through the demo for Dragon Quest Builders on Switch, which definitely became a purchase for me when it comes out next month. That game is just delightful.
Listen to me rant on the Immortal Machines PC Gaming Podcast!
I also run Erratic Gamer, and sometimes write about games there.
Ravenlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 01:27 AM   #17
jpublic
Threadslayer

Well, that's one plotline of KH BBS done. Didn't get anywhere NEAR 100%, but I can't be bothered. Having to learn an entirely new fighting style to beat the end boss for Terra's storyline was bad enough.
Old 01-13-2018, 10:37 AM   #18
Spigot
Turn Me

Back when Inplayed BBS, I think I tapped out after finishing two plot lines.
Old 01-13-2018, 10:47 AM   #19
jpublic
Threadslayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spigot View Post
Back when Inplayed BBS, I think I tapped out after finishing two plot lines.
I don't mind the game play or plot, especially once I said "keck it" to getting 100%. It's the fact that the end boss for Terra's story is basically a Dark Souls boss that makes me mad.

Through the whole game, I've been just fiercely attacking every enemy. Sure, bosses required *some* attention to strategy, but it was more a matter of a bit of timing and knowing what attacks to avoid. Key thing here, I rarely used the block button.

But the final boss for him requires you to be a damn PRO at blocking and counter-strikes, because that's the only way to beat it.
Old 01-13-2018, 10:48 AM   #20
Dav Slinker
stay woke

I remember mostly liking Birth By Sleep, tough there were a few knee-slappingly irritating moments.

Legal Uppers, my blog, including creative writing and travelogues.
Dav Slinker is offline   Reply With Quote