welcome to the CoG network!
Colony of Gamers

Go Back   Colony of Gamers > Life Off Colony > The Lounge

View Poll Results: Have you been in a fight? (Multiple choice allowed)
No, never been in a real fight 10 41.67%
Yes, with family 3 12.50%
Yes, with someone I know well 6 25.00%
Yes, with someone I barely know/stranger 8 33.33%
I've punched someone full in the face 8 33.33%
I've been punched full in the face 9 37.50%
I've been in a shoving match/similar 7 29.17%
I've been beat up 7 29.17%
I've beat someone up 7 29.17%
Other/Who lives/Who dies/Who tells your story? 4 16.67%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-11-2018, 09:51 AM   #1
TheKeck
FIFTY POSTS PER PAGE!

Send a message via AIM to TheKeck Send a message via MSN to TheKeck
Fisticuffs

The subject of fighting came up elsewhere.

Have you been in a fight? Many? Tell us about it.

Look for the poll. I am going to enable MULTIPLE OPTIONS, so click all that apply.
TheKeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 09:56 AM   #2
TheKeck
FIFTY POSTS PER PAGE!

I'd be very curious to see who answers what, but I figured this was a good one to keep anonymous. Share as much as you like in the thread, of course.
Old 01-11-2018, 10:21 AM   #3
Dav Slinker
stay woke

Under 'Other,' I figure having weapons drawn on you probably counts, eh?

Legal Uppers, my blog, including creative writing and travelogues.
Dav Slinker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 10:27 AM   #4
TheKeck
FIFTY POSTS PER PAGE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dav Slinker View Post
Sure, why not?!

As for me, I'm in the no fights category. It's never even really come up as a possibility that I recognized. Hopefully it remains that way. /knock on wood
Old 01-11-2018, 10:32 AM   #5
johnperkins21
Colonist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dav Slinker View Post
Oooh, I've been shot at a couple of times, but I don't think that counts as they were both drive-bys that weren't really aiming for me in particular.
Old 01-11-2018, 10:48 AM   #6
MagGnome
Déjà vu

I was regularly harassed and taunted as a kid, including some times where I was shoved or kicked, but I wouldn't say that I've ever been in a "real fight". I've never thrown a punch or anything like that. Honestly I think adults who engage in fisticuffs are ridiculous and childish.

I guess I did have a guy try to mug me with a knife once when I was drunk, though I wouldn't call that a fight. I ran away.
MagGnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 11:04 AM   #7
Dav Slinker
stay woke

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnperkins21 View Post
Oooh, I've been shot at a couple of times, but I don't think that counts as they were both drive-bys that weren't really aiming for me in particular.
That reminds me of a line from Catch-22.

"They're trying to kill me!"

"No they're not, they're trying to kill EVERYONE."

"How is that better?"

Myself, I'd count it as under 'other.' I worked with a guy who was shot and stabbed in his life, he said getting stabbed was worse because they had to wait to pull the blade out, whereas the shooting was done in an instant.

Funnily enough, this was before he came to work security jobs. This was while he was a cashier in a bad neighborhood. He also had a tattoo on his ass of a monkey pointing a banana at his b-hole provocatively, he got it while very very drunk.

He was a neat guy.

Legal Uppers, my blog, including creative writing and travelogues.
Dav Slinker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 11:17 AM   #8
johnperkins21
Colonist

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagGnome View Post
I was regularly harassed and taunted as a kid, including some times where I was shoved or kicked, but I wouldn't say that I've ever been in a "real fight". I've never thrown a punch or anything like that. Honestly I think adults who engage in fisticuffs are ridiculous and childish.

I guess I did have a guy try to mug me with a knife once when I was drunk, though I wouldn't call that a fight. I ran away.
I agree with you. My dad used to get into fights all the time. He got into a fight with his brother and my mom's new boyfriend (who happened to be her sister's ex-husband). He went to punch his brother in the head, but missed and hit a brick wall breaking his hand.

Another time he took my souvenir baseball bat from the game when Reggie Jackson hit his 500th home run and broke it over my mom's boyfriends' back. During that same altercation he also used my bb gun to beat up his car. Most of my experience with adults fighting has resulted in either me losing stuff, or my dad being out of work for a few months since he couldn't use his hand as an electrician. He was both a terrible and great role model I guess.
Old 01-11-2018, 11:24 AM   #9
Cactaur
Is real mystery for sure.

Karate free sparring. Got hit in the face. Fractured tooth but not broken
Cactaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 11:36 AM   #10
Vandabo
Guise srsly

I just checked the shoving match one, because I've never been in a full on fight but just in situations where a few kids were roughing each other up on the playground or something. There were a few situations growing up where I was close to escalating to a full punching situation, but I was always too scared of getting in trouble for it. I was pretty confident in myself physically but was so scared of my school or parents finding out that I always held back.

In my adult life I've luckily never been in a situation that called for or threatened violence, so that issue hasn't come up.
A. Yes.
Q. Let the record reflect that I am making little air quotes with my fingers around the word 'confession.'
Judge: So noted.
Gamertag/Steam = Vandabo
Vandabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 12:53 PM   #11
MagGnome
Déjà vu

Yikes, johnperkins21. I'm really sorry that you had to deal with that.

I could have probably ticked the "shoving match" box as well, since I did engage in a few of those as a child. That brings back a couple of memories actually, one where I was the aggressor (sort of) and one where I was the victim. The first instance involved the kid next door who was a real jerk. One chilly spring day he had just showered and was outside taunting me about something. I poured a bucket of cold water on his head, and he ran inside crying. He never bothered me again, and I felt like a champion.

The other involves my cousins. Two of them (brother and sister) were always fighting when we were younger. Sometimes it got really violent, like the time the brother threatened his sister with a golf club. The time where I became the victim happened when we were playing pool in my grandparent's basement. They started arguing as usual and my cousin grabbed a cue and swung it at her brother, missing him and hitting me instead. She hit me square on the thumb, splitting the nail in half. It hurt like hell, and I screamed a few choice words at her. My grandmother overheard the ruckus, and I ended up being spanked and sat in the corner. I think we were around 12, yikes, and I was really pissed at my cousins and my grandmother for the rest of the day.
MagGnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 12:59 PM   #12
jpublic
Threadslayer

I've been in a fight and was jumped once in high school. So like 25 years ago? But nothing since I was an actual legal adult.
Old 01-11-2018, 02:07 PM   #13
pomeroy
wtf

The Hamilton reference in the poll is the best thing about this thread.
pomeroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 03:45 PM   #14
Bone
Terribad at game

I got my ass beat once, really bad- as in, I'm lucky I didn't end up in the hospital. I halfway deserved it, but there were other people involved who truly instigated it and should have stopped it, and instead chose to be shitty human beings. I wouldn't get in a fistfight again unless my life (or someone's life close to me) depended on it.

XBL: xx 8one xx
3DS: 0516-7281-0600

Steam: -Bone-
Bone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 04:02 PM   #15
TheKeck
FIFTY POSTS PER PAGE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pomeroy View Post
The Hamilton reference in the poll is the best thing about this thread.
Thought of you as I posted it.
Old 01-11-2018, 04:45 PM   #16
rein
Colonist

Yes. Unfortunately I have been in more than one. I spent a year in the Oakland school system after all. For being such a little guy back then I held my own against much bigger fellas. One thing though, even if you "win" a fight, it still hurts.

The worst, tossed over an overpass by thugs. It hurt and I ended up spending a day in the hospital.

The "best case" scenario, Ex wife manipulated a new boyfriend. I weighed 128lbs and he weighed about a not exaggerated 285lbs. I "won" the fight but had to be picked up by my dad at the police station.

My point is, fighting sucks.

@johnperkins21 -Man, that stuff sucks. Glad you came through it okay.

Last edited by rein; 01-11-2018 at 06:30 PM.
rein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 06:22 PM   #17
Spigot
Turn Me

Never a real, proper fight. Squabbles with my brothers growing up, sure. I took a swing at my dad once during my idiot teenage days & ended up pinned face-down on the steps and advised to never do that again. And work is... interesting. I'm trained not to react (just use non-violent restraints/deescalation techniques).

That said, I've taken a full garbage can in the small of my back after having it thrown at me from across the room because the guy didn't like me for some reason...
Old 01-11-2018, 06:44 PM   #18
Mot Wakorb
47 Friendly Fires

Fisticuffs

Two times I had scenarios, both were in the same bar, which was considered more upscale. They were one-sided.

First time was some jackass that was goofing off and flicking my ear back and forth while I was attempting to push through a crowd to get to the bathroom. Drunk moron continues this, giggling. I ask politely for him to stop, he makes some hur hur hur laugh and proceeds to do it again. I ask a little more forcefully. Same thing. I don't ask the next time, he just gets a fist in the stomach, game over for him.

Second time, same bar, different day. Same idea, trying to walk to the bathroom. Guy and and a girl are having an argument. Waiting to get to the bathroom, dude reels back with a fist and gets ready to swing at her. He didn't have the chance, he hit the floor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-11-2018, 07:21 PM   #19
maharahaj
Humanity is the Devil

I had one major fight as a teenager with a friend where it was a grappling brawl; several face punches landed on both of us and he hit me once across the face with a wallet chain.

I once got round-house kicked in the face by a tall neighborhood acquaintance who knew karate and decided to celebrate a park yard football touch down by performing said kick next to me.

Once I punched a very good teenage friend in the face a single time after he deliberately slashed at my exposed shin bone while playing street hockey. Another kid we played with got punched once in the face on two separate occasions for the same thing; once after an attack to my shin bone and once after an attack to my wrist.

In eighth grade, myself and my gym classmates were all packed into a tiny room with wooden cubbies where we kept our book bags. One of the school bullies came trampling through and slammed me against the cubbies pretty hard. When he took his books and binders out of his cubbie (he couldn't afford a back pack), I slapped all his possessions out of his hands. He returned the favor with a single punch to my right temple.

Another time in eighth grade, a former friend, who was trying to be cool and elevate himself to another social clique, was relentlessly teasing and poking me. Right before our science class left the room to go outside for a science experiment, I backhand punched him in the chest, Street Fighter Guile style. Shortly afterwards, while heading down the school's stairs, he fainted and collapsed down half the flight of stairs due to being out of breathe from the punch. He never teased me after that event.

Never got into a fight as an adult.
maharahaj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 07:26 PM   #20
maharahaj
Humanity is the Devil

Spigot, your story reminds me of my Dad. He was a Vietnam veteran. Every time I asked to wrestle him as a teenage, for funnsies as a "test of strength" type thing, he gave me fair warning that he would dominate and he always did. I'd be pretzeled up on the floor with my face pushed in the carpet in milli-seconds.
maharahaj is online now   Reply With Quote