welcome to the CoG network!
Colony of Gamers

Old 12-29-2017, 05:35 PM   #1
Lance Uppercut
BELIEVE IT, MOTHERFUCKER

The VR Gaming Thread

Rift, Vive, WMR, PS4VR, all are welcome here. Hook up for some multiplayer action, share experiences etc.

I bought an Oculus Rift on Black Friday; the price was right ($350) so I figured I'd take a shot at it.

As of this writing, the majority of my winter sale haul have been VR titles. VR Gaming is pretty awesome, and I'm accidentally getting some exercise out of it as a bonus. My favorites so far are Gorn, Robo Recall, and Rec Room. I've refunded Arizona Sunshine and Sairento. These are supposed to be VR's AAA titles, but I was bored playing both. I had more fun with quirky indie titles that didn't always involve shooting or stabbing shit (cooking games are the shit in VR).

I picked up Onward and Pavlov but have yet to try them. I just picked up a 3rd sensor and didn't want to try those games until I got it. If anybody's down for the online action, hit me up.
bnet: LanceUpprcut#11563
XBox: XBox Shmexbox
Lance Uppercut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 06:38 PM   #2
Wolvie
AKA JayBob

Job Simulator in endless overtime mode is something I could play forever.

PSN: Wolvie619

Steam: Wolvie619
Wolvie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 12:31 AM   #3
Stoke
Act. Like. A. Dove.

Send a message via AIM to Stoke
Hover Junkers is by far the best VR game I've played, but the player base is so small now it's not really possible to play any longer.
Stoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 11:35 AM   #4
Grifter
The Witchiest

I know it's not the kind of game people immediately think of when thinking "VR" but to date, Chronos is still one of my favorite VR games. There's something to be said about the immersiveness VR brings to 3rd person action/adventure games.

All About Martial Arts / Martial Arts Entertainment / World Wide Dojo

Heatware Profile
Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 01:45 PM   #5
Young Al Capone
Part of the problem

I have had a Rift since October, if you are at all into sims then it is a must try sorta thing. Race sims, Assetto Corsa and Project Cars specifically, have been by far my most played and impressive experiences.

I was surprised by how much I prefer games that can be played in short bursts, rather than super long play experiences. I went from wanting Fallout and Skyrim style games to preferring the games I can play for a half hour or so and be satisfied that I ran a few laps or played a few rounds. It is just not comfortable or convenient enough for me to want to stay in there for too much longer than that.

I really liked Robo Recall, Superhot VR is really good as well. Windlands is a recommend from me, but it is apparently pretty gnarly for some people regarding motion sickness.

Definitely get Echo Arena if you have any interest what-so-ever in virtual multiplayer games, it is awesome!
Young Al Capone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 02:01 PM   #6
Young Al Capone
Part of the problem

Also don't forget Google Earth VR, it is amazing!
Old 12-30-2017, 02:27 PM   #7
MagGnome
Déjà vu

I've been considering picking up a VR headset for awhile now. I've only tried a unit once, for a short time. My BF's roommate has a PSVR and I played maybe 10 minutes of RE7. It was a cool experience despite the atrocious visuals. Moving around a room and looking at different objects was neat, although the immersion is somewhat broken when your hand passes through a shelf or other object that should be solid. The tech is not without limitations, of course.

Anyway, when the 2nd gen Vive hits I may pounce on that, depending on price.
MagGnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 07:02 PM   #8
Lance Uppercut
BELIEVE IT, MOTHERFUCKER

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagGnome View Post
I've been considering picking up a VR headset for awhile now. I've only tried a unit once, for a short time. My BF's roommate has a PSVR and I played maybe 10 minutes of RE7. It was a cool experience despite the atrocious visuals. Moving around a room and looking at different objects was neat, although the immersion is somewhat broken when your hand passes through a shelf or other object that should be solid. The tech is not without limitations, of course.

Anyway, when the 2nd gen Vive hits I may pounce on that, depending on price.
With the current price drops on the Rift, the affordability of WMR headsets, and a growing library of games, I think it's the best time to try out VR. It's kinda unfortunate that your first VR experience was with PSVR, and I think you'll be more impressed with the Rift or Vive.
Old 12-30-2017, 10:53 PM   #9
EternalGamer
Colonist

I have both a Rift and Vive and play frequently.

Y'all add me on Steam: Eternalgamer2.

Recently picked up Orbus VR (VR MMO RPG) and getting ready to dive into that. But always up for some old faithfuls like Rec Room, Sports Bar or Payday. Social VR is where VR magic really shines. Dive in Mags! Would love to play some with you!
EternalGamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 11:17 PM   #10
MagGnome
Déjà vu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance Uppercut View Post
With the current price drops on the Rift, the affordability of WMR headsets, and a growing library of games, I think it's the best time to try out VR. It's kinda unfortunate that your first VR experience was with PSVR, and I think you'll be more impressed with the Rift or Vive.
You think it's best to jump in now rather than waiting for another round of headsets? PSVR definitely has shortcomings. I'm looking forward to trying out something with more power. The WMR headsets are intriguing, although I haven't looked at them too closely yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EternalGamer View Post
I have both a Rift and Vive and play frequently.

Y'all add me on Steam: Eternalgamer2.

Recently picked up Orbus VR (VR MMO RPG) and getting ready to dive into that. But always up for some old faithfuls like Rec Room, Sports Bar or Payday. Social VR is where VR magic really shines. Dive in Mags! Would love to play some with you!
I didn't realize there were so many multiplayer/social VR games available. I'm not sure why that didn't occur to me but the possibilities are endless. I'll be sure to hit you up when I get a headset!

Do most of these games require much physical space? How would you compare the Rift versus the Vive?
Old 12-30-2017, 11:26 PM   #11
EternalGamer
Colonist

Quote:
You think it's best to jump in now rather than waiting for another round of headsets? PSVR definitely has shortcomings. I'm looking forward to trying out something with more power. The WMR headsets are intriguing, although I haven't looked at them too closely yet.

I didn't realize there were so many multiplayer/social VR games available. I'm not sure why that didn't occur to me but the possibilities are endless. I'll be sure to hit you up when I get a headset!
There are actually a ton of cheap social games and a good number of totally free ones. Rec Room is free and has hundreds of hours of entertainment on it's own. It has laser tag, paint ball, dodgeball, charades, soccer, and 3 built in coop action RPG games even. Sports Bar has great pool that feels unbelievably realistic. Eleven Tennis will blow your mind how much it feels like playing real table tennis online.

Quote:
Do most of these games require much physical space?
Most don't need a lot, no. Obviously the more the better, but 90% of agmes just let you teleport/move around artificially. Basically if you have enough room to stand in one place and swing your arms 360 degrees without hitting anything you can play the vast majority of games just fine. But having the ability to take a step or two is nice (but not necessary).

Quote:

How would you compare the Rift versus the Vive?
If you have a smaller space they are pretty comparable. Vive is better for larger spaces. Oculus is more fidgety to get set up right, but once you get them set up, they are fairly equal experiences. Oculus controllers are better

Overall I like the Vive a little better but not the $200 better. And without the extra Deluxe Headstrap (another $100), the Oculus wins hands down.

It's really close overall. I basically just use the Vive most because I'm too lazy to fiddle with the Oculus as much as I need to get it working as well (especially after I take it down to take to school).
Old 12-31-2017, 12:00 AM   #12
MagGnome
Déjà vu

Thanks for the reply. My space is definitely on the smaller side, so that's something I need to take into consideration. Why is the Oculus more difficult to set up? The Vive being $300 more (with that strap) really has me leaning toward the Oculus if I do decide to buy one. I'll look into the new WMR sets too.
Old 12-31-2017, 12:06 AM   #13
EternalGamer
Colonist

Quote:
Thanks for the reply. My space is definitely on the smaller side, so that's something I need to take into consideration. Why is the Oculus more difficult to set up? The Vive being $300 more (with that strap) really has me leaning toward the Oculus if I do decide to buy one. I'll look into the new WMR sets too.
The oculus just requires fiddling a bit to get the sensors positioned right to fully cover your space well. It's probably not even a problem unless you already have used the Vive and want the same fidelity.

It's capable of giving the same level of tracking, but it requires more fiddling. the Vive you can practically throw those light houses anywhere in the room and they just work because they basically make a laser grid in the room. The Oculus are literal infrared cameras so they have to have visibility. Like I said they can do it just as good in a small/medium sized space. Just require a bit more adjusting on set up to get them "perfect" if you care about that sort of thing.
Likely your first Vr experiences you won't notice that much anyway, especiallly if you aren't coming from a Vive.

Also that set up is a "one time thing" for most people. I just have a bigger issue with it because I take my VR stuff to school/family etc. more often. So the Vive is easier to set up quickly without as much fine tuning required.

The WMR sets are decent, but not as good as Oculus because they can't do the behind the back tracking. The Oculus is the best deal in my opinion.

Last edited by EternalGamer; 12-31-2017 at 12:08 AM.
Old 12-31-2017, 12:20 AM   #14
MagGnome
Déjà vu

That's all good to know, thanks! I think my bedroom would be a pretty good space to set up VR should I decide to get one. My bed is up against the wall, and I can easily clear the middle of the room for playing. I've been wanting a new monitor, but recently I decided to try moving my desktop into my bedroom first and hooking it up to my HDTV. I could then use that monitor money for a headset.
Old 12-31-2017, 06:05 PM   #15
Lance Uppercut
BELIEVE IT, MOTHERFUCKER

Quote:
Oculus announced that their next-gen headsets won't be around for at least a couple more years. Magic Leap is vaporware AFAIK. Pimax's 8k headset keeps running into delays (and their 4k headset received middling reviews and has no room tracking, or touch controller support). I wouldn't hold my breath if I were waiting for the next-gen.

As for space, most roomscale games seem to require around 2mx2m, but you can get away with slightly less if you're careful. If you don't have enough space, there are plenty of standing and seated experiences for you to play, but I highly recommend finding the space if you can.
Old 12-31-2017, 08:03 PM   #16
Wolvie
AKA JayBob

So as far as visuals go, I've heard the Vive is just a bit above the PSVR. So where does the Rift stand as far as fidelity goes? Would buying either only get me more control accuracy?

PSN: Wolvie619

Steam: Wolvie619
Wolvie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 09:36 AM   #17
Young Al Capone
Part of the problem

I would suggest trying it out if you can, to me both the tracking and the visuals were night and day between the rift and psvr.

Rift still has screen door effect and lower than ideal resolution, but the textures and AA alone make a world of difference.
Old 01-01-2018, 10:42 AM   #18
EternalGamer
Colonist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Al Capone View Post
I would suggest trying it out if you can, to me both the tracking and the visuals were night and day between the rift and psvr.

Rift still has screen door effect and lower than ideal resolution, but the textures and AA alone make a world of difference.
I own all 3 headsets because I"m a crazy person and for me they are pretty comparable in terms of the quality of the screens. PSVR is obviously held back a little bit by the hardware, but it does have a little less of a screen door effect (but a bit more blurriness).

The biggest difference to me is just that the tracking on the PSVR is kind of garbage compared to Rift and Vive. It's fine for seated games or games that you use controllers with. But any game that requires a lot of moving around or using lots of grabbing/hand gestures sucks on PSVR in comparison to the other two headsets.
Old 01-01-2018, 10:53 AM   #19
Lance Uppercut
BELIEVE IT, MOTHERFUCKER

Some of this compare/contrast was taken from here. I've never tried the Vive before but I have tried PSVR. PSVR can't compare to the Rift when it comes to a full VR experience.

The Rift and Vive have similar specs when it comes to the screen and refresh rate. The Rift presents a sharper image, and less screen door effect than the Vive, but the Vive has less god rays and has a brighter screen.

The Vive has easier roomscale setup and is better for bigger rooms (you'd need at least 3 sensors for the Rift to gain full roomscale). However, it's heavier, less comfortable, and doesn't come with headphones (the audio strap is $100 extra, which the Rift already comes with). Their default hand controllers aren't as good as the Rift's, but Vive has specialized controllers (like the racket sports controllers, sensors you can attack to your drink or a phone, or their upcoming controllers that can do five-finger gestures).

The Rift has awesome exclusive titles, several of which come free with the Touch controllers when you activate it with your Oculus account. Robo Recall, Dead and Buried, and Echo Arena are must-try games. Vive has VR ports of Fallout 4, Skyrim, and Doom but reviews for those titles are mixed, with less-than-ideal framerates and uninspired implementation of VR controls. Both headsets can play each others' exclusive games, but require third-party apps. Steam supports all PC VR headsets, and their VR library is rounding out quite nicely (my winter sale haul has been almost exclusively VR titles).

Also, do you wear glasses? It might be difficult if you wear large frames, moreso with the Rift than the Vive. Personally, I have few issues wearing my glasses inside my Rift, but these frames aren't too big. If you're blind as a bat and need your glasses, a couple of companies sell prescription lenses you can attach to your headset.

And finally, the price. The Vive is $600. The Rift is $400, although I picked mine up for $350 during Black Friday (the price dropped again to this level just before Christmas). Toss in a 3rd sensor for another $60, and it's still cheaper than the Vive. I was originally thinking of getting a Vive at first, but for $410, the Rift is just the better value for a more-or-less equivalent experience.
Old 01-01-2018, 01:27 PM   #20
rein
Colonist

I just ordered a PSVR Gran Turismo bundle from Dell but after reading comments I am already having buyer's remorse. It is only $200 but I am starting to think I should cancel and see how the Oculus Go shakes out. I do not need anything out of the ordinary right now and I do not plan on spending a significant amount of money on VR this generation. I suspect next generation will be cheaper/same in price and a smoother experience.

edit -Meh. Order cancelled. I have waited this long. I can wait a few more months.

Last edited by rein; 01-01-2018 at 01:31 PM.
rein is online now   Reply With Quote