welcome to the CoG network!
Colony of Gamers

Old 12-20-2017, 05:20 PM   #1
Mot Wakorb
47 Friendly Fires

Ch-Ch-Changes

Yes... I started out with Bowie for a reason. Changes, they are a comin'. I know I've been saying that for a while, but it's time as this site is no longer supportable in it's current style. It isn't that we don't want to, it honestly is that the site code is shot. vBulletin 3.8 hasn't been properly supported for years and Bitcoin miners are attempting to put crap on the site that doesn't belong. So, it is time. It is time to move on.

Scare you yet? I shouldn't... it's honestly not that bad.

First, a while back there were some rumors that the site would shut down. That is incorrect. We're not shutting down. We are going to have to change, however.

We had a few options:

- Discord only - move to a more realtime platform

- Discord + a Subreddit - so, the above plus a non-realtime chat option

- Discord and XenForo - Reddit doesn't seem terribly desirable and frankly, we've bought the rights to XenForo and a news plugin.

So what did we pick? XenForo and Discord. Discord for that real-time chat capability, and then XenForo to keep the history of the site as well as logins and whatnot. Let's be honest: many of the people that came here have come and gone, many of the original founders have moved on... but there is a core group of folks that never left and really still spend a lot of time here. That's what drove the decision to keep going. It's being done to help people maintain the relationships that were forged over nearly 10 years (and beyond, really.)

So how is this gonna work?

On January 9th (date changed, new version of XenForo and a new version of the news page software), we'll be shutting the site down for two days. After doing a couple of test migrations in XenForo, that's how long it'll take. On top of that, I don't want any posts happening so the database doesn't change. On January 10th, we'll reopen the site for business!

There is good and bad that comes along with this, though:

The Good:

- XenForo is responsive. You can use it on mobile, tablet, PC... and it'll just work.

- The News will continue... but will change. It'll become a forum, if folks want to post an article, they can post a thread and it'll become a news post. This will take some heavy-handed moderation to work successfully, so it's a pilot in January and we'll go from there.

- Logins will remain the same, they migrate just fine.

- All posts and forums will move. History will remain.

The Bad:

- The interface will be VERY default at the start. Sorry about that, I haven't had time to play with the CSS and I'm pretty CSS dumb.

- Tapatalk will not be supported at the start. That will change shortly after migration though.

- No more user blogs. If you want data from them, this is your two week warning.

- "Dead" forums will go away (old podcasts mainly).

Onto Discord - did you know CoG has a Discord? We do! It's quite popular, live realtime chat, different channels, voice channels for gaming... it's all there! Check out discordapp.com to get the client if you want a client, elsewise you can just use the HTML5 edition there. Here's an invite to the server, come, join us! (Works on Mobile and computers!)

Finally... I've posted this before, but I do this from my own pocket at this point. I've made a post in the past, hosting the site for a year roughly runs me $1,000. That's for forum software, hosting, licensing, yada. Nothing gets paid to me, I do it because I honestly care about the community. If you're willing to help pay that $1,000, that's super cool. If not, I get it too! If you're interested, check out our paypal.me donation link.

Also, if you're willing to help with things like a logo update, CSS, anything like that, hit me up - I'd love the help!

We'll see you on the flipside in 2018!
Old 12-20-2017, 05:48 PM   #2
johnperkins21
Colonist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mot Wakorb View Post
It's being done to help people maintain the relationships that were forged over nearly 10 years (and beyond, really.)
Has it really been 10 years since the great EA migration? Holy cow we're old.
Old 12-20-2017, 06:04 PM   #3
Dav Slinker
stay woke

Mot, you're a superstar for maintaining this place not just with time but money as well. Whatever changes you need to implement, you have my support. Thanks for the heads-up on the changes

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnperkins21 View Post
Has it really been 10 years since the great EA migration? Holy cow we're old.
I first joined EvAv when I was barely eighteen and I'm 29 now. I've had this gaggle of knuckleheads around for my entire adult life and check the forums every day. If I could find a woman who tolerates me half as well as you lot do I'da been married a long time ago.

Legal Uppers, my blog, including creative writing and travelogues.

Last edited by Dav Slinker; 12-20-2017 at 06:06 PM.
Dav Slinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 06:09 PM   #4
jpublic
Threadslayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dav Slinker View Post
Mot, you're a superstar for maintaining this place not just with time but money as well. Whatever changes you need to implement, you have my support. Thanks for the heads-up on the changes

I first joined EvAv when I was barely eighteen and I'm 29 now. I've had this gaggle of knuckleheads around for my entire adult life and check the forums every day. If I could find a woman who tolerates me half as well as you lot do I'da been married a long time ago.
Mot, if there's any help I can give beyond the cash, which I was happy to give, please let me know.
Old 12-20-2017, 06:26 PM   #5
TheKeck
FIFTY POSTS PER PAGE!

Send a message via AIM to TheKeck Send a message via MSN to TheKeck
I welcome our new XenForo Overlords. Thanks for all you do. Will the URL just resolve there instead, or do we get a new one?
TheKeck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 06:44 PM   #6
MagGnome
Déjà vu

Mot, thank you so much for all the hard work you do, and the money you put towards supporting the site. I am going to throw some cash your way after the holidays are over.

I'm glad that the forums are migrating instead of just going Discord-only. Thanks again for doing this. This community has been near and dear to me for a very long time.
MagGnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 08:01 PM   #7
xoanon
HOANON

Thanks, Mot. I’m happy to chip in. Will the RSS feed still work?
xoanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 08:03 PM   #8
Vandabo
Guise srsly

Sounds great, Mot, and thanks for dealing with all this for us. I'm glad we're retaining the forum side of things.
A. Yes.
Q. Let the record reflect that I am making little air quotes with my fingers around the word 'confession.'
Judge: So noted.
Gamertag/Steam = Vandabo
Vandabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 08:29 PM   #9
Mot Wakorb
47 Friendly Fires

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKeck View Post
I welcome our new XenForo Overlords. Thanks for all you do. Will the URL just resolve there instead, or do we get a new one?
The XenForo site will be the same URL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpublic
Mot, if there's any help I can give beyond the cash, which I was happy to give, please let me know.
MOAR CASH. I kid... have any CSS or graphics knowledge?

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoanon
Thanks, Mot. I’m happy to chip in. Will the RSS feed still work?
It might have a new URL, but yes, it should still work.
Old 12-20-2017, 09:37 PM   #10
jpublic
Threadslayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mot Wakorb View Post

MOAR CASH. I kid... have any CSS or graphics knowledge?
I have a touch of CSS knowledge, but I'll bet you have much more than me. I'll be happy to be a sounding board or second opinion if you need one.
Old 12-20-2017, 10:06 PM   #11
Exodus
Vampire Robot Dragon

Hmmm honestly I'm too lazy. I could pick up css again and refresh in a day or two and probably take the rest of the week to pick up what all the cool kids are laying down nowadays but I'm already working. I've got a friend however who's been starting and failing to create a community gaming website over and over.

I'll see if he's interested. His latest foray is a little too current because there's this idea that the home page of websites outta have a huge splash screen banner of what's new.

Hell I'll just link it http://gaming-incorporated.com/

But he's perfectly capable of toning down.

I'll ask him over the holidays since he's cramming to make up for a college year where 3/4 of it was spent doing nothing while the prof's were on strike and so they are trying to fast track it in the last 1/4 after the gov't ordered them back to work.
Old 12-21-2017, 08:15 AM   #12
MagGnome
Déjà vu

My boyfriend does web design and knows CSS, so if none of the members are able to help I could talk to him.
MagGnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 08:45 AM   #13
civil_dead
1% Prick.

I haven't dug into the link so forgive me if this is answered, but is there an option for a monthly donation to the site's costs?

Thanks for everything, Mot. You shouldn't shoulder the costs, so I'll make sure to contribute.

- Zeal
civil_dead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 09:26 AM   #14
BLeeP
Damn Good Pie

It's easy to take something for granted when it has always been there, but I know these things take hard work. I honestly got a little misty when reading the news post, thinking this was leading to the end of CoG. I'm very grateful that isn't the case. Even though I don't post much, if at all, anymore, I would still feel a piece of me go away with the site.

Thanks for all that you do. I'll be sure to donate as soon as the holidays are over.
Old 12-21-2017, 09:39 AM   #15
Worldcrafter
Cunning Stunt Bonus

Mot, thanks for all the hard work past, present, and future. I lurk much more than I post, but this site is my first stop in the morning.

Like others, I can't believe it's been a decade since bailing on the ol red and black. Back when Phil Kollar and Justin McElroy were fellow posters instead of internet celebs.
Worldcrafter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 10:14 AM   #16
BLeeP
Damn Good Pie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worldcrafter View Post
Mot, thanks for all the hard work past, present, and future. I lurk much more than I post, but this site is my first stop in the morning.

Like others, I can't believe it's been a decade since bailing on the ol red and black. Back when Phil Kollar and Justin McElroy were fellow posters instead of internet celebs.
I had completely forgotten about Justin McElroy posting there. That kinda blows my mind.

Speaking of the other site, I popped over there to see if I could check any old posts for nostalgia's sake and I was surprised to see how...negative of a place it is? All three threads I checked were cheering for the failure of something and made sure to mention "SJWs".

Sorry, I know that's off topic, I was just shocked to see a place where I spent all my time as a young adult turn out like that.
Old 12-21-2017, 10:25 AM   #17
civil_dead
1% Prick.

I didn't know who Justin McElroy is, looked him up. What name did he post under here?

Yeah, I went to EA earlier this year. What a cesspool.

- Zeal
civil_dead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 10:58 AM   #18
Worldcrafter
Cunning Stunt Bonus

Quote:
Originally Posted by civil_dead View Post
I didn't know who Justin McElroy is, looked him up. What name did he post under here?
He used to post on EvAv, so it's not worth tracking down. He has a funny writing style so I remembered enjoying his posts there. He linked to some game reviews for his local paper before getting hired by Joystiq and then Polygon.

He and his brothers (and their wives) do a crap ton of great podcasts.
Worldcrafter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 11:10 AM   #19
muddi900
Blasphemous Outlaw Ranger

Turn and face the strain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffool View Post
I think it's the collective form of the noun, actually.
"What's an anonymous group of assholes called?"
"An Internet."
Quote:
Originally Posted by pronounconnoun View Post
taint = slippery slope

Got it. Thanks.
muddi900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 11:32 AM   #20
Spigot
Turn Me

I'll join the chorus saying thanks to the almighty Mot. I'm glad we'll keep things running in some form. I guess I'd better get to archiving the TTS articles!

Justin McElroy posted on EvAv? I know Phil did but didn't realized we had podcast royalty amongst our ranks back in the day. What was his handle? I just discovered MBMBAM & the universe of McElroy shows about a year and a half ago and love the brothers so it'd be neat to know if he's someone I'd chatted with back in the day.

Last edited by Spigot; 12-21-2017 at 11:34 AM.
Spigot is online now   Reply With Quote