Go Back   Colony of Gamers > Gaming the CoG Way > General Gaming

Old 01-12-2018, 11:50 AM   #121
EWolfmanD
Phantom Thieves

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spigot View Post
TWEWY is hitting the Switch!

And that game is 10 years old. Ye gods.
It makes me sad that the sequal rumors were probably just about that, but it does make me hopeful that maybe there will eventually be a sequel if this one sells well.

At the very least, it'll be a reason for me to play the game again and another reason to eventually get a Switch (hopefully this year sometime).
Old 01-12-2018, 12:30 PM   #122
Purple Santa
keeper of the day and end

Quote:
Originally Posted by EWolfmanD View Post
At the very least, it'll be a reason for me to play the game again and another reason to eventually get a Switch (hopefully this year sometime).
I know I was late to the Switch party, but I really think you will like the console when you do get one. Considering how much I was disappointed in my WiiU, the Switch really surprised me since I didn't think I wanted one. I'm glad I kept an open mind to getting one.

I don't see Purple Santa as the retiring type. I see his endgame as more the "...And nobody ever saw him again" type of deal. ~ Dav

Rails? The DAY/END threads don't need no stinking rails, they just meander like a drunk looking for a bench to flop down on~ Gorvi

Hell, 'derail'? This is like calling the surface of the sun 'warmish'. Somewhat lacking in appropriate magnitude~ Jpublic
Purple Santa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 12:52 PM   #123
EWolfmanD
Phantom Thieves

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Santa View Post
I know I was late to the Switch party, but I really think you will like the console when you do get one. Considering how much I was disappointed in my WiiU, the Switch really surprised me since I didn't think I wanted one. I'm glad I kept an open mind to getting one.
Yeah, I skipped out on the WiiU and barely played any Wii games. I loved Trauma Team for the Wii and also remember playing Fire Emblem and Fragile Dreams. Other stuff like Tales and Muramasa I ended up playing on other systems.

I think Nintendo first party games are good, but not really something that I play. I think the last Mario I played was Mario64 maybe. I am looking forward to Odyssey after watching streams though. And I think the last Zelda was Ocarina of Time. I'm not as sure about playing Breath of the Wild.

I really, really hope that Tokyo Mirage Sessions gets ported to the Switch some day. Sometimes I think about getting a WiiU just for that, but it's probably not worth it. Maybe I'll make another attempt to get it to work on an emulator whenever I get a new computer because I couldn't get it to work before, but I would rather just buy a Switch version.
Old 01-12-2018, 12:53 PM   #124
johnperkins21
Colonist

Quote:
It makes me sad that the sequal rumors were probably just about that, but it does make me hopeful that maybe there will eventually be a sequel if this one sells well.

I'm planning to pick one up in the next few weeks as I really want to try Breath of the Wild and Golf Story. I owned a Wii and an N64 before that, but I haven't actually enjoyed a Nintendo console since my SNES. It looks like this one might be the machine that brings me back into the Nintendo ecosystem. Though I still don't see the appeal in Mario Odyssey. All the videos make it look incredibly lame, and at least as bad as Super Mario 64 (the last Mario I played), but it's got such universal appeal I'll have to at least borrow it from a friend.
Old 01-12-2018, 02:01 PM   #125
pomeroy
wtf

Yeah, all the things I don't like are incredibly lame too!
pomeroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 02:45 PM   #126
Gorvi
You're not my supervisor!

People exist that didn't like Mario 64? That's a thing?
Old 01-12-2018, 02:48 PM   #127
Young Al Capone
Part of the problem

Not liking it is one thing, thinking it was a bad game is another.
Young Al Capone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 02:54 PM   #128
pomeroy
wtf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorvi View Post

Yeah, apparently. Shit, one of my good friends just doesn't like Zelda games. He told me this last weekend and I was dumbstruck.
pomeroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 02:58 PM   #129
Gorvi

Quote:
Originally Posted by pomeroy View Post
Yeah, apparently. Shit, one of my good friends just doesn't like Zelda games. He told me this last weekend and I was dumbstruck.
That's just being obstinate. The series has some variation, making a blanket statement that you don't like all of them is just dumb. I can understand not liking some of them (hell, I didn't like Wind Waker and I know that's an unpopular opinion), but saying you don't like them all is a stretch.
Old 01-12-2018, 03:22 PM   #130
jpublic
Threadslayer

I missed Mario 64, and now when I go back to try and play it I just can't get into it. I think that's part of my problem with Mario Odyssey.
Old 01-12-2018, 03:28 PM   #131
Gorvi

Yeah, SM64 comes off as primitive now, because it is. When it first came out it was the first really great 3D platformer. I could still play it to 120 starts today and have a blast, but I bet a lot of that is nostalgia.
Old 01-12-2018, 03:32 PM   #132
MagGnome
Déjà vu

Mario 64 is a gem. I think it holds up quite well, although Odyssey is certainly an improvement in every respect. I remember how blown away I was the first time I played Mario 64 on a store demo unit. It was incredible!
MagGnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 05:32 PM   #133
Spigot
Turn Me

Quote:
I really, really hope that Tokyo Mirage Sessions gets ported to the Switch some day. Sometimes I think about getting a WiiU just for that, but it's probably not worth it. Maybe I'll make another attempt to get it to work on an emulator whenever I get a new computer because I couldn't get it to work before, but I would rather just buy a Switch version.
Oh, TMS is worth getting a WiiU for...
Old 01-12-2018, 05:34 PM   #134
Spigot
Turn Me

Quote:
I was very late to the party when trying out Mario 64 and by then I'd already played other games like Banjo-Kazooie and the like which built on Mario 64's foundation. I appreciate it for what it is, but it's too dated for me to really enjoy that much whenever I've tried to play it.
Old 01-12-2018, 05:36 PM   #135
johnperkins21
Colonist

Quote:
Yeah, it's come up here before, and even back in the EvAv days. I'm definitely in a very small minority.

I absolutely loved the 2D Marios, but didn't think it translated to 3D very well. It's also possible that my disappointment of it was so great that it colored my view on the game. I played it for about 10-15 hours before returning both it and my N64. There's likely more to why I didn't like it as well, like not liking the controller at all, but it was so long ago all I remember now is that I didn't like it and that has soured me on all 3D Mario games to the point I've never played another one.

I know it holds a special place in many people's hearts, and can see that it was a technical achievement and had some good ideas. It just wasn't for me. But I didn't mean to imply that it's a "bad" game, just that it was a "bad Mario" game in my opinion. It's not like it was E.T. bad, just that it was a franchise that held a huge place in my heart up until then.
Old 01-12-2018, 05:52 PM   #136
jpublic
Threadslayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spigot View Post
Oh, TMS is worth getting a WiiU for...
Absolutely. TMS on Switch is the one game I'll actually buy a physical copy of.
Old 01-12-2018, 07:02 PM   #137
Stoke
Act. Like. A. Dove.

Send a message via AIM to Stoke
TMS is a game I'd buy instantly if it came out on Switch. Was always interested in the Wii U version but never got around to playing it.
Stoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 07:05 PM   #138
maharahaj
Humanity is the Devil

I was never a fan of Mario 64 either. Have attempted to play it many times over the years and it just never grabbed me. I liked Mario Galaxy and Super Mario 3D Land though.
maharahaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 07:06 PM   #139
Karak
Press Start to Begin

glad to see the Switch doing so much better than I ever thought it would.

Gamertag: Malanthrax PS4: Malanthrax
Karak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 08:02 AM   #140
Wolvie
AKA JayBob

SM64 was kind of a console first. Tomb Raider beat it to the punch, but it was one of the very first 3D console platformers. So for it's time it was revolutionary. So my memories of it are "WHOA! Amazing!"
But it's an old game, is showing it's age and has been surpassed many times over the years in terms of game design. So I can see someone going "eh" at it. But my rose tinted nostalgia glasses still love it.

PSN: Wolvie619

Steam: Wolvie619

Last edited by Wolvie; 01-13-2018 at 10:05 AM.
Wolvie is offline   Reply With Quote