welcome to the CoG network!
Colony of Gamers

Old 01-01-2018, 02:12 PM   #21
Wolvie
AKA JayBob

Kinda wish I hadn't spent $500 on my PSVR TBH. Impluse buys usually bite ya, so good on ya.

PSN: Wolvie619

Steam: Wolvie619
Wolvie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 04:37 PM   #22
MagGnome
Déjà vu

Thanks for all of the info, Lance Uppercut. Between your and EG's posts, the Rift definitely sounds like the way to go, when I was expecting the Vive to be the better headset. I wish I had pounced on that $350 deal when it was available.

I hadn't thought about difficulties with wearing glasses, but I was able to use the PSVR without a problem. In fact, I'm wondering if I would be able to play without my glasses (I'm near-sighted) which would be nice.
MagGnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 05:39 PM   #23
Mot Wakorb
47 Friendly Fires

No, you need glasses if you're near sighted. I've got a fairly large (wide mainly) pair of glasses and I do just fine. If glasses bother you, VR cover offers lens replacements for Oculus to your prescription. So there are lots of good options.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-01-2018, 08:03 PM   #24
MagGnome
Déjà vu

Good to know, thank you. I can read books without my glasses on, but I wasn't sure if that would translate to being able to use VR sans glasses. I just tried playing a game on my PC without glasses and I had to have my head about 2 inches from the screen, haha.
Old 01-02-2018, 11:08 PM   #25
Mot Wakorb
47 Friendly Fires

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagGnome View Post
Good to know, thank you. I can read books without my glasses on, but I wasn't sure if that would translate to being able to use VR sans glasses. I just tried playing a game on my PC without glasses and I had to have my head about 2 inches from the screen, haha.

Then you definitely need it. Realize, it's not like something that's being projected to your eyes, as far as your eyes are concerned, everything has depth and distance, so if you can't see far away, you still won't be able to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-03-2018, 07:19 AM   #26
MagGnome
Déjà vu

Yeah, that definitely makes sense, thanks!
Old 01-04-2018, 05:32 PM   #27
Lance Uppercut
BELIEVE IT, MOTHERFUCKER

From Other Suns is goddamn amazing. Ever play FTL? Imagine that game, in virtual reality, allowing you to walk around your ship, repair it, repel invaders, or teleport to an enemy ship to raid it (which yields more supplies and exotic, powerful weapons). Imagine being able to play this with drop-in co-op play. It's one of the coolest things I've played in VR so far.
bnet: LanceUpprcut#11563
XBox: XBox Shmexbox
Lance Uppercut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 03:02 PM   #28
Stoke
Act. Like. A. Dove.

Send a message via AIM to Stoke
HTC is teasing something related to the Vive for Monday. Might be worth keeping an eye on if you're in the market.
Stoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 09:14 AM   #29
Lance Uppercut
BELIEVE IT, MOTHERFUCKER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoke View Post
HTC is teasing something related to the Vive for Monday. Might be worth keeping an eye on if you're in the market.
Probably something to do with this.
Old 01-07-2018, 02:46 PM   #30
MagGnome
Déjà vu

I spent quite a bit of time last night playing PSVR with friends, and it was a really fun experience! My boyfriend had a friend stay at his place Friday and Saturday night while she is in town interviewing for her clinical psych residency. She noticed the PSVR and asked if she could try it out. She isn't a gamer, but she does like Rick & Morty, so my BF and his roommate had her play Accounting+. I'd never tried it and don't watch R&M, but it was fun watching her figure out the mechanics and make her way through the various bizarre scenarios.

After that we browsed the PSN VR section and picked up an "escape the room" horror game that was on sale for $1. My boyfriend played it for an hour or so while the rest of us helped solve puzzles, which was a lot of fun. I love group experiences like that. After getting through the first room I took over wearing the headset. Even with the somewhat rough resolution of PSVR I found it to be pretty immersive. The horror elements and voice acting in the game are really cheesy and stupid, but the puzzles themselves are often clever and it took us a couple of hours to get through the first area and most of the second, at which point we called it a night. It made use of the VR in clever ways, sometimes requiring the player to look at something from a different angle, for example. I didn't like the way movement was handled, with direct forward and backward movement but stepped/limited rotation. Otherwise the experience really sold me on the potential of VR, even for group play with only one headset.
Old 01-11-2018, 05:40 PM   #31
Lance Uppercut
BELIEVE IT, MOTHERFUCKER

Oculus users who've played Arizona Sunshine: does the aiming angle for guns feel way off to you? I feel like I have to tilt my touch controller far too downward just to line up the sights correctly. It feels terrible to shoot guns in the game like this.