welcome to the CoG network!
Colony of Gamers

Old 09-22-2017, 10:40 AM   #1
DoctorFinger
Editor in Chief

Clone Game Threatens Clones

OK, that headline is a bit harsh, but people who abuse the legal system are one of my pet peeves.

This story revolves around the ultrapopular Player Unknown's Battlegrounds (PUBG) and sandbox shooter Fortnite, which recently announced their own Battle Royale mode. PUBG developer Bluehole seems to think that Fortnite's BR mode may be infringing. Producer Chang Han Kim said this in a Reddit AMA:
Quote:
“The PUBG community has and continues to provide evidence of the many similarities as we contemplate further action.”
I am not a lawyer, but I do know that generalities cannot be patented or copyrighted. Bluehole can be pissed off that other, richer developers are trying to steal their thunder, but that's not something they should be looking to a court to remedy. If, for no other reason, it exposes PUBG to liability, since they're explicitly copying (or at least inspired by) other games, including ARMA and H1Z1. PUBG's lead designer, Brendan Greene, cut his teeth making mods for those games, mods which eventually evolved into the Battle Royale genre PUBG currently rules over.

I dearly hope Bluehole doesn't pursue abusive lawsuits against other entities, mostly because it's wrong, and partly because it could cause irreparable harm to the industry. There isn't a game on the shelves that doesn't borrow mechanics or tropes from predecessors. Once you give IP owners control over such obvious generalities, you kill the game industry. No one but Id's parent Bethesda can make FPS' (since they made Wolfenstein 3D), no one can make fighters other than Capcom. Maybe no one can make an RPG without EA's say so, since the lineage of Ultima traces down to them? It's a hideous precedent to set, in both the short term and the long.

Source - Polygon
DoctorFinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 10:50 AM   #2
Ink Asylum
The cavalry's here!

Yeah. I really hope Bluehole just backs down and focuses on making their game the more appealing option. The day game mechanics can be considered intellectual property is going to be a dark day for gaming.
Old 09-22-2017, 02:35 PM   #3
Bone
Terribad at game

IIRC, the guy who made PUBG is the same guy who created the Battle Royale mode in H1Z1, so he's not ripping that off.

XBL: xx 8one xx
3DS: 0516-7281-0600

Steam: -Bone-
Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 05:16 PM   #4
Darkmatter
Insert Funny Here.

He ripped himself off! What a JERK!
Quote:
Originally Posted by IIntrude View Post
Hit B to enter FPS 3rd person shooter mode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vandabo View Post
I think my brain just broke reading that...
Darkmatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 08:56 PM   #5
Exodus
Vampire Robot Dragon

unless he made the mode in arma first and on top of that it's a game mode type. if we had copyright on game mode type industry would be fucked
Old 09-24-2017, 10:56 PM   #6
Bone
Terribad at game

It turns out he did create the Arma mod first, and before that started something like it in DayZ.

https://steamed.kotaku.com/the-modde...nds-1794193444

XBL: xx 8one xx
3DS: 0516-7281-0600

Steam: -Bone-
Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 09:45 AM   #7
Philonious
Colonist

Competition is good for the market and, from what I've seen and read, PUBG is somewhat of a flawed and buggy game. Rather than complain that people are emulating them, they should focus on making a better game (do they have killcams yet?). It should be noted that the publisher is the one complaining, it isn't clear what the creator thinks.
Philonious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 03:29 PM   #8
Exodus
Vampire Robot Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bone View Post
It turns out he did create the Arma mod first, and before that started something like it in DayZ.

https://steamed.kotaku.com/the-modde...nds-1794193444
It's still a mod it doesn't matter. Maybe this will make them stop sitting on their fucking mountain of money and actually speed up development? They promised vaulting at the beginning of the year and look it's not planned to come out until the end of the fucking year. This is fucking stupid considering a vaulting system for a static map should not taking a fucking year to develop.