welcome to the CoG network!
Colony of Gamers

Go Back   Colony of Gamers > News and Features > Gaming News

Old 10-09-2017, 01:31 PM   #21
Grifter
The Witchiest

Aside from Snyder being a shit director and having the attention span of a housefly with ADD his effect style is really starting to rub me the wrong way as well. I don't know if it's other people trying to emulate his style and not quite pulling it off or what but the last three DC movies felt like the large CG scenes and characters don't exist in the same space. The effects by themselves look great, and the physical scenes look great but once combined it's like they are slightly out of phase with each other.

While this was an issue in BvsS it didn't bug me quite as much but it really hurt my enjoyment of Wonderwoman and I'm seeing the same issues in the Justice League trailer.

All About Martial Arts / Martial Arts Entertainment / World Wide Dojo

Heatware Profile
Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 03:09 PM   #22
Zanzibar
Colonist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grifter View Post
Aside from Snyder being a shit director and having the attention span of a housefly with ADD his effect style is really starting to rub me the wrong way as well. I don't know if it's other people trying to emulate his style and not quite pulling it off or what but the last three DC movies felt like the large CG scenes and characters don't exist in the same space. The effects by themselves look great, and the physical scenes look great but once combined it's like they are slightly out of phase with each other.

While this was an issue in BvsS it didn't bug me quite as much but it really hurt my enjoyment of Wonderwoman and I'm seeing the same issues in the Justice League trailer.
This was my take on it. I really didn't like the ending of WW because it felt like some kind of strange CG hallucination separated from the rest of the movie, which felt anchored in reality.

This whole fucking trailer might have been a demo reel for VFX artists. I'm supposed to care that the Batmobile is moving at 200mph as blurred shapes of superheroes zoom past it? Sure was nice of all that citywide destruction rubble to leave a pristine path exactly one Batmobile-unit wide.

I mean, there's plenty of that in the Marvel movies I guess (particularly Thor: Ragnarok's trailer) but I thought it was taken to an even higher level here.
Zanzibar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 03:14 PM   #23
Grifter
The Witchiest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanzibar View Post
This was my take on it. I really didn't like the ending of WW because it felt like some kind of strange CG hallucination separated from the rest of the movie, which felt anchored in reality.

This whole fucking trailer might have been a demo reel for VFX artists. I'm supposed to care that the Batmobile is moving at 200mph as blurred shapes of superheroes zoom past it?

I mean, there's plenty of that in the Marvel movies I guess (particularly Thor: Ragnarok's trailer) but I thought it was taken to an even higher level here.
While the Marvel films are also CG laden powerhouses there is a seamless continuity between what is filmed and what is created so, like most other movies with proper CG, they both look like they exist in the same place. The DC movies, for whatever reason, don't.

Heatware Profile
Old 10-09-2017, 04:31 PM   #24
Zanzibar
Colonist

I mean, Doctor Strange was the most mind-numbingly CG-heavy movie I can remember, but at least they made an effort to make it feel linked to reality - at least until the end, when it's SUPPOSED to feel like an otherworldly out-of-body experience.

But this...this I hate. It's like 300 and Sin City's lovechild.
Zanzibar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 06:12 AM   #25
Narradisall
Cookies

Alas I'm liking this less and less. Wonder Woman at least worked, even if it got a bit OTT at the end it was grounded really well.

This looks like it takes things to 11.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-11-2017, 08:43 AM   #26
pomeroy
wtf

I mean, who is asking for a Justice League movie that's not over the top? I'm not terribly interested because I think Affleck is awful as Batman and Cyborg shouldn't even be there, but it needs to be ridiculous and over the top.

pomeroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 01:19 PM   #27
Grifter
The Witchiest

Quote:
Originally Posted by pomeroy View Post
I mean, who is asking for a Justice League movie that's not over the top? I'm not terribly interested because I think Affleck is awful as Batman and Cyborg shouldn't even be there, but it needs to be ridiculous and over the top.

I agree, I want my comic book movies to be ridiculous and crazy and maybe even a little stupid or else what's the point?

Heatware Profile
Old 10-11-2017, 06:14 PM   #28
Dukefrukem
Awesomeness

Send a message via AIM to Dukefrukem Send a message via Yahoo to Dukefrukem
The problem is inside every DC movie, whenever there is a fight scene, it's either self contained in a really tiny area, or it's outside dark and there's no sense of scope. The camera never pulls back so we can see where the fight is taking place. It's all murky dark and CGed mess. Marvel does the exact opposite. The Airport fight scene in Civil War is a great example. That could have easily taken place at night and we wouldn't have any POV problems or draw distance issues.

The only fight scene that actually works in the DC space, from my recollection, is in Man of Steel, when Superman fight's zod's soldiers on the street. Surprise surprise that was the film Nolan was the most involved in. And you guys want LESS Nolan?
PSN: Dukefrukem XBL: Dukefrukem Steam: Dukefrukem Battlenet: Dukefrukem#1729

Currently Playing

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Arcane View Post
So now we're positing that the deliberate stagnation of technology is a good thing? Hardware makers should just stop making new shit why, exactly? Because you're too cheap to buy a new card every few years?
Dukefrukem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 06:55 PM   #29
Dorkandproudofit
Thread Killer

Zak Snyder is the Antichrist to Michael Bay's Satan. Or maybe it's the other way around?

Yeah, that's all I have to contribute here. It'll suck just as much as MoS and BvS.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolvie View Post
You sir are the Messiah. I should know I followed a few.
Searching for proof that amateur writers can beat pros, occasionally.
Dorkandproudofit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 10:04 AM   #30
menage
Praise the sun!

The blue screen is just too much. I liked WW and how it looked, this just looks beyond realistic set wise.

PSN: Menage00
Steam: Menage00
Soundcloud
SCREENSHOTS
menage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 03:14 PM   #31
Exodus
Vampire Robot Dragon

Wow hot on this is rose mcgowan claiming ben affleck said this to her after she was sexually assaulted by weinstein.

https://twitter.com/rosemcgowan/stat...48581540757504

"@benaffleck “GODDAMNIT! I TOLD HIM TO STOP DOING THAT” you said that to my face. The press conf I was made to go to after assault. You lie."

What a very batman thing to do.

Last edited by Exodus; 10-12-2017 at 03:57 PM.
Exodus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 03:17 PM   #32
pomeroy
wtf

Affleck is gross and I hope he doesn't get to be Batman anymore

pomeroy is offline   Reply With Quote