welcome to the CoG network!
Colony of Gamers

Go Back   Colony of Gamers > Gaming the CoG Way > General Gaming

Old 02-12-2018, 05:33 AM   #1
Purple Santa
keeper of the day and end

WeekDAY Gaming (02.12.18) - What are YOU still playing?

Motivated Monday brought to you by the Cookie Monster. No day can start badly with the Cookie Monster in it.

Welcome back to your WeekDAY. Enjoy your week!

What are YOU still playing?

I don't see Purple Santa as the retiring type. I see his endgame as more the "...And nobody ever saw him again" type of deal. ~ Dav

Rails? The DAY/END threads don't need no stinking rails, they just meander like a drunk looking for a bench to flop down on~ Gorvi

Hell, 'derail'? This is like calling the surface of the sun 'warmish'. Somewhat lacking in appropriate magnitude~ Jpublic
Purple Santa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 08:57 AM   #2
Young Al Capone
Part of the problem

Decided to check out Mighty Switch Force 2 since I downloaded it over a year ago and hadn't so much as booted it yet and haven't been able to put it down.
Young Al Capone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 09:21 AM   #3
MagGnome
Déjà vu

Cookie Monster!!

On the gaming front this week:

The Journey Down Chapter 3 - The boyfriend and I finally continued this yesterday after a ~2 week absence. The story is nearing a crescendo and we are likely going to finish the game this afternoon. I'll miss these characters.

The Long Dark - Even on the easy setting this game is rather brutal. I died of hypothermia on my third or fourth night. Oops. Thankfully now that I'm in town I always have a warm place to sleep, although I didn't realize that a wolf attack had ruined my pants and thermal underwear, causing me to run around in my boxers. I figured this out AFTER I nearly got frostbite...ouch. I managed to find some thermal underwear in an abandoned house, but no pants yet, so I'm running the frozen wasteland in my skivvies.

Golf Story - Still planning on picking this up in the next couple of days.

Something else - I've been craving some strategy or simulation, so I may continue my Civ VI game or fire up Age of Wonders 3, Planet Coaster (bought last week), or similar.
MagGnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 10:02 AM   #4
TheKeck
FIFTY POSTS PER PAGE!

Send a message via AIM to TheKeck Send a message via MSN to TheKeck
Heavy into Mario Odyssey. In some kind of Bowser level.
TheKeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 10:10 AM   #5
Stoke
Act. Like. A. Dove.

Send a message via AIM to Stoke
Lot's of World of Warcraft. The new leveling system is the best thing Blizzard has done in a very long time.
Stoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 10:13 AM   #6
Purple Santa

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKeck View Post
Heavy into Mario Odyssey. In some kind of Bowser level.
I want to be able to throw my cap and become Bowser.

My own gaming this week... Tacoma, The Witness and that Uncanny game, the name I can't remember at the moment. I also have an urge to play a Hercules game, which are easy to play while in front of the TV. I know I was half way through the last one I was playing (IV? V?) so i'll try to do that as well. I'm really not trying to buy anything but between the Steam sale emails and the Switch sales I see when playing Mario O (oh yeah, playing that too), I see stuff I want to buy and play. No buying until I finish some of the stuff I own.

I don't see Purple Santa as the retiring type. I see his endgame as more the "...And nobody ever saw him again" type of deal. ~ Dav

Rails? The DAY/END threads don't need no stinking rails, they just meander like a drunk looking for a bench to flop down on~ Gorvi

Hell, 'derail'? This is like calling the surface of the sun 'warmish'. Somewhat lacking in appropriate magnitude~ Jpublic
Old 02-12-2018, 10:28 AM   #7
TheKeck
FIFTY POSTS PER PAGE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Santa View Post
I want to be able to throw my cap and become Bowser.
Sounds like that's a spoiler for all you know.
Old 02-12-2018, 01:02 PM   #8
Wolvie
AKA JayBob

So Purps wanted to hear my adventure up the mountain in Celeste. So here goes nothing:

Day one: prologue. The graphics are super sharp and beautiful! The jumping and climbing are easy too! I like this game!
Oh shit the bridge just collapsed! I fell to my death. And again. And gain. Oooooh, I was supposed to air dash. My bad. Oh damn those spikes are brutal, this is getting hard. So I got a few strawberries, do they do Anything? Oh, also unlocked a B-side. That makes the game harder, lol no.
Phew! These bounce boards, spikes and falling ice blocks are making things tough! The blocks set in tracks are tricky too. The timing of the jumps make ya jump super far. Cool.

Ok, chapter one is done. Died 33 times. This is hard, but not so bad.

Day one chapter 2- Old Site:

Hmmm this is an odd area. Where do I go? That way is blocked by ice. After exploring and dying a bunch I broke a wall... And find a mirror. So Madeline just got a mirror version of herself? Odd.
Oh fuck, these star filled blocks are tricky. I'm dying a lot now, frustration is building. Oh great now the mirror bitch is chasing me and killing me! I have a hard enough time with the terrain, I don't know if I can do this! I'm just dying rapid fire now. Fuck this game, I'm putting it down before I throw my Switch!

Okay after a break I'm gonna try again. Dying rapidly in this room filled with shield icons. How am I supposed to jump into that corner!? Okay fuck this game I'm done!

*Goes to bed angry*

Day two, Chapter two continued:

Alright, let's see if sleep helps. Okay, made it past that room with the shield icons... Only to have more rooms like it, ugh. Dying rapidly to this stupid fucking mirror bitch. Anger legitimately building. Okay I'm just dying and getting enraged. Im done.

*Erases save file and starts over*

Oh hey, this game has assist mode. I'll try that yes! Oh you suggest I try my first play through without it. Fuck your smug ass!

*Makes it back to where I was before*

Okay, still getting killed by this purple cunt! Getting pissed again! Gah, either I need some assist options or a break... Yeah I'm taking a break. Maybe will turn assists on next go. Pride keeping me from doing that!

And that's where I am now, kinda irritated but hopefully the assist options will keep me from getting too bummed while playing this.

PSN: Wolvie619

Steam: Wolvie619

Last edited by Wolvie; 02-12-2018 at 01:05 PM.
Wolvie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 01:11 PM   #9
Dav Slinker
stay woke

For what it's worth, the mirror lady still frustrates me after having beaten the game. It's an obnoxious area.

I'd say just turn on assists, you're meant to be having fun, after all.

If you're dying a lot, no worries - welcome to the club! I died over 4200 times in that game, sometimes hitting into triple digits on a single screen. Every death is an opportunity to learn what does and doesn't work. By the time you get further in the game, earlier parts will seem trivial. You're slowly learning, you just gotta stick with it.

And always remember, strawberries are totally optional.

Legal Uppers, my blog, including creative writing and travelogues.

Last edited by Dav Slinker; 02-12-2018 at 01:16 PM.
Dav Slinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 01:36 PM   #10
Purple Santa

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKeck View Post
Sounds like that's a spoiler for all you know.
I possibly spoiled something without knowing? How awesome am I

@Wolvie: Thanks for the play through summary. I needed that. Work has been a lot of , wtk is going on type of day. So thank you for the laughs and distraction.

Old 02-12-2018, 03:04 PM   #11
Spigot
Turn Me

Well, my on-call weekend was actually rather tame compared to some I've had. Best call was one home where a staff got locked into the office and the handle broke and they were trapped. Thankfully we got them out but it was not how I expected my morning to start.

I've got a slightly busy week ahead of me this week, but nothing like the insanity of the last two weeks. I'm hoping to be home a little more and then we have a long weekend coming up, so hooray for that.

Here's what I'll be playing when I'm not liberating trapped staff members...

Subnautica (PC) - I need to find the blueprints for some of the base rooms so that I can really start turning this thing into an awesome base. The drip-feed of the story is also really interesting so far. Just found some stuff I wasn't expecting, so that was cool.

Monster Hunter World (PS4) - I've hit a bit of a wall with the story missions (have to take down a Diabolos and Rialthos) so I'm going to be working on farming monster pieces for my gear and maybe even upgrading my weapons. I also need to learn how to use the lance a bit more since I tried it with Diabolos and can appreciate the benefits of it, but have barely used it otherwise. I've put about 20 hours each into Long Sword and Hammer, so I need to branch out a bit more... or get help.

Finding Paradise (PC) - I needed a bit of a break from hunting monsters and splashing around underwater so I got back to work on this last night. It's a welcome change of pace and I'm very curious to see where the story goes. Just started Act 2 before I stopped playing yesterday.

Ace Attorney: Spirit Of Justice (3DS) - On the 5th case which is now a murder case and I'm getting taken to school by the opposing attorney... ouch.
Old 02-12-2018, 03:19 PM   #12
TheKeck
FIFTY POSTS PER PAGE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Santa View Post
I possibly spoiled something without knowing? How awesome am I
Possibly awesome!
Old 02-12-2018, 03:47 PM   #13
Wolvie
AKA JayBob

Well I finally broke down used assist. Invincibility. There was this part in the hotel where the floor and ceiling was instant death, platforms that lowered and these moving bastards that flitted back and forth. I decided I'd had enough and used God mode to just walk across the room.

448 deaths so far, phew!

Old 02-12-2018, 04:05 PM   #14
Gorvi
You're not my supervisor!

I played way too much Overwatch over the weekend, and as a result I now hate humanity. I'm going to have to swear off the competitive mode for a while, people are just brain dead asshats. Healers not actually healing if you're lucky enough that someone even picks one, no team work, children screaming into mics (who can thankfully be muted), and just bad times. When I have gold in healing at the end of the match as Roadhog there's something shitty going on. Or hell, gold in healing as Mei, which happened a few times. The terrible thing is that game is great when people work together, I need to actually make friends with people and just play with them. I must have gone 4-25 at least in the w/l record and dropped so far in the ranks that it's not even worth bothering.

So, more positive things. I played a bit of Ys 8 and it's still great. I think I'm going to focus on that this week, it just plays so well. It looks and sounds great too. I mean, this is the field music in one of the opening areas:

Falcom can do no wrong when it comes to music. All you Switch people looking for a great action RPG have something awesome to look forward to later in the year.

Otherwise, more Darksiders 2, I'm pretty close to the end now, but I'm not sure if I'm in the mood. I've been playing a bit of Everybody's Golf too in order to relax, and that's still awesome. And my slow but steady run in Persona 3 Portable is still trucking along, I'm at the beginning of May now, so still super early.
Old 02-12-2018, 05:45 PM   #15
Dav Slinker
stay woke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolvie View Post
Well I finally broke down used assist. Invincibility. There was this part in the hotel where the floor and ceiling was instant death, platforms that lowered and these moving bastards that flitted back and forth. I decided I'd had enough and used God mode to just walk across the room.

448 deaths so far, phew!
Oh man, those moving bastards... They killed me so many times. A handy tip for future reference: those kind of hazards are generally timed so that if you start moving IMMEDIATELY upon respawn, you can shoot through the first couple/few without too much trouble.

And you got past mirror lady, nice going!

Legal Uppers, my blog, including creative writing and travelogues.
Dav Slinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 06:12 PM   #16
jpublic
Threadslayer

FYI guys, the mirror lady's canon name is apparently 'Badeline'.

Been watching my favorite YTer stream it. Looks neat, but I'd hate to actually play it.
Old 02-12-2018, 06:43 PM   #17
EWolfmanD
Phantom Thieves

I didn't really game much this weekend since I spent a lot of time watching Altered Carbon. I wish I hadn't delayed when I first started watching it; it's pretty awesome. I have two episodes left, and I can't wait to see what else happens. I also wish I had actually kept with the book when I started it years ago. Maybe I'll try to read it and finish the other books once I finish the current stack of books I have from the library. Maybe I'll try to catch up on some more TV shows and some books this week instead of trying to game a lot.

But if I do game, I need to get back to the main quests in Monster Hunter World. I did make some progress with that at least, but I need to do a lot more. I should probably try to get the limited quest done at least, but I can't remember what else I need to do to unlock it.

Things have been going pretty well in SWGoH. I'm mostly working on building up my Empire team for the R2D2 event now, and I also need to improve my fleet some so I can continue doing well in the arena.

I might grab Dynasty Warriors 9 tomorrow even though I have too much to play already, or I might wait to get it later this month. I'm just curious how this whole open world thing will work in a DW game.
Old 02-12-2018, 07:00 PM   #18
Wolvie
AKA JayBob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dav Slinker View Post
Oh man, those moving bastards... They killed me so many times. A handy tip for future reference: those kind of hazards are generally timed so that if you start moving IMMEDIATELY upon respawn, you can shoot through the first couple/few without too much trouble.

And you got past mirror lady, nice going!
The satisfaction from nailing a section like that in this game is amazing. Such a great feeling.

Old 02-12-2018, 08:40 PM   #19
MagGnome
Déjà vu

I feel like I accomplished a lot today, entertainment and relaxation-wise. I read several chapters in Ready Player One last night and this morning, reaching the end of part 1 after a break of a week or so. The book wasn't really grabbing me before, but now that the action is heating up I'm hooked. I'll likely read more of that tonight and tomorrow.

Chris came over and I played some of The Long Dark and Planet Coaster while he did his web development work. My progress has slowed in The Long Dark, so I need to push ahead there and make some genuine progress. Planet Coaster is neat and absolutely gorgeous, but I wish there was a bit of a tutorial. I'm figuring things out and enjoying myself though.

After Chris wrapped up his work we watched some YouTube and then had a great dinner - two of the Runzas I brought back from Nebraska and some chipotle sweet potato fries. A really tasty, satisfying meal. We then finally finished The Journey Down: Chapter 3! Anyone who loves adventure games needs to play The Journey Down. It's such an epic adventure, and the characters are some of the most endearing I've come across in a long time. I'm a little sad that the journey is over, but man what a great ending.
MagGnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 11:27 PM   #20
EWolfmanD
Phantom Thieves

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagGnome View Post
I feel like I accomplished a lot today, entertainment and relaxation-wise. I read several chapters in Ready Player One last night and this morning, reaching the end of part 1 after a break of a week or so. The book wasn't really grabbing me before, but now that the action is heating up I'm hooked. I'll likely read more of that tonight and tomorrow.
That's good to hear. I plan to read it sometime after I finally finish Artemis, but I don't know if it'll be next or one of the other books. I've read the intro like three times over the years but each time ended up reading a different book instead. I would like to finally read it before the movie comes out though.