welcome to the CoG network!
Colony of Gamers

Go Back   Colony of Gamers > Gaming the CoG Way > General Gaming

Old 02-12-2018, 11:29 PM   #21
TheKeck
FIFTY POSTS PER PAGE!

Send a message via AIM to TheKeck Send a message via MSN to TheKeck
And, I beat Mario Odyssey. Some very satisfying content at the end there. And tons more stuff to do still. I'll definitely be putting a lot more time into it. Daunted by trying to get everything, though.
TheKeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 07:39 AM   #22
jpublic
Threadslayer

I tried to read Ready Player One, but couldn't get more than a few pages into it. It's the most godawful piece of self-indulgent masturbatory garbage I've ever read, and I read a lot of fanfiction.
Old 02-13-2018, 09:18 AM   #23
MagGnome
Déjà vu

Quote:
Originally Posted by EWolfmanD View Post
That's good to hear. I plan to read it sometime after I finally finish Artemis, but I don't know if it'll be next or one of the other books. I've read the intro like three times over the years but each time ended up reading a different book instead. I would like to finally read it before the movie comes out though.
The first few chapters are slow and the endless namedropping of 80s music, movies, and games gets annoying and feels like the most blatant nostalgia pandering ever, but once you get past that the book gets a lot more interesting as the action heats up. I'm not sure that it lives up to the ridiculous amount of hype it had when it came out, but I'm glad I stuck with it and I'm hoping it keeps me hooked for the remainder of the story.
MagGnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 09:35 AM   #24
Spigot
Turn Me

Crossing Souls is out today. It looks really cool but I think I might work through Thimbleweed Park first before I grab it. If I'm lucky, they'll make a Switch version by the time I'm ready for it
Old 02-13-2018, 10:54 AM   #25
Zagrash
3 ducks in a man suit

Quote:
That's good to hear. I plan to read it sometime after I finally finish Artemis, but I don't know if it'll be next or one of the other books. I've read the intro like three times over the years but each time ended up reading a different book instead. I would like to finally read it before the movie comes out though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpublic View Post
I tried to read Ready Player One, but couldn't get more than a few pages into it. It's the most godawful piece of self-indulgent masturbatory garbage I've ever read, and I read a lot of fanfiction.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagGnome View Post
The first few chapters are slow and the endless namedropping of 80s music, movies, and games gets annoying and feels like the most blatant nostalgia pandering ever, but once you get past that the book gets a lot more interesting as the action heats up. I'm not sure that it lives up to the ridiculous amount of hype it had when it came out, but I'm glad I stuck with it and I'm hoping it keeps me hooked for the remainder of the story.
Yep, once it gets past the sections (!) Where it's literally just listing random 80's crap it is actually an entertaining book. Those parts very nearly drove me away too, but I was glad I stuck with it.
Zagrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 11:17 AM   #26
TheKeck
FIFTY POSTS PER PAGE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spigot View Post
Crossing Souls is out today.
I'm imagining an Animal Crossing mod for Dark Souls, or vice versa.
Old 02-13-2018, 11:22 AM   #27
Gorvi
You're not my supervisor!

I'm almost to my first full moon in P3P, I 'm really enjoying the VN style they made this version in. It's easy to just sit back and read through it, and the dungeon crawling is still the same as it ever was. It'll probably take me all year with the way I'm playing it, but I can easily see going all the way through the game. Hell, it's been over a decade since I played the original version.
Old 02-13-2018, 12:26 PM   #28
Spigot
Turn Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKeck View Post
I'm imagining an Animal Crossing mod for Dark Souls, or vice versa.
Tom Nook wants you to GET GUD!
Spigot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 01:39 PM   #29
EWolfmanD
Phantom Thieves

Dynasty Warriors 9 is out on PSN, and I almost grabbed it so I could start the download to be able to play tonight. I was looking through some forums to see if there were missable trophies and saw some threads complaining about the game. So I should probably hold off for now and read those later to see what the deal is. There's a whole month to still get whatever the bonus content is, and I should probably just concentrate on Monster Hunter World for now anyway.

Edit: I had also pre-ordered Radiant Historia Perfect Chronology to lock in the Amazon pre-order discount and then was going to decide about buying it later, but I kinda forgot about it until I got the notification that it shipped. So that showed up today, I never did make it that far into the original, and I can't remember the last time I used my 3DS, so maybe I should just play that some instead.

Last edited by EWolfmanD; 02-13-2018 at 01:47 PM.
EWolfmanD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 01:46 PM   #30
Spigot
Turn Me

Jim Sterling has feelings about DW9 and they're not good ones. And he's a pretty big DW fan.
Old 02-13-2018, 01:49 PM   #31
EWolfmanD
Phantom Thieves

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spigot View Post
Jim Sterling has feelings about DW9 and they're not good ones. And he's a pretty big DW fan.
I saw someone mention that. The name is familiar since I see it mentioned a lot, but I don't know who he is. I kinda dislike all game reviewers in general and just check out videos of actual people playing stuff or opinions of people here.
Old 02-13-2018, 02:14 PM   #32
Spigot
Turn Me

Quote:
I saw someone mention that. The name is familiar since I see it mentioned a lot, but I don't know who he is. I kinda dislike all game reviewers in general and just check out videos of actual people playing stuff or opinions of people here.
He's my current go-to guy in the game punditry circles (for the most part), at least on the video side of things. He doesn't really do game reviews, per se, but he will do some let's plays (Jimpressions, as he calls them) and give his feelings about things and while I don't always agree with him, he's usually got a good point to back up his like or dislike of a game.

He's always been a DW fan despite of its inherent issues but he HATES this one because of the open-world design and some of the homogenization of the heroes.

Here's the video
Old 02-13-2018, 02:15 PM   #33
jpublic
Threadslayer

Quote:
According to everything I've read DW9 is a pretty big mess. I'm not even just talking about the PC reviews, which basically claim it's essentially still an Early Access game, even the PS4 (which is where I'd play) discussion says it needs massive work.

Disappointed, because I'm a big DW fan.
Old 02-13-2018, 02:19 PM   #34
Gorvi
You're not my supervisor!

And CoG is now blocked at work, bleh.
Old 02-13-2018, 02:22 PM   #35
EWolfmanD
Phantom Thieves

Quote:
According to everything I've read DW9 is a pretty big mess. I'm not even just talking about the PC reviews, which basically claim it's essentially still an Early Access game, even the PS4 (which is where I'd play) discussion says it needs massive work.

Disappointed, because I'm a big DW fan.
Yeah, it sucks since I was looking forward to it too. Oh, well. I think I need to redownload DW8XLCE now that I have space with an external drive for the PS4. I still have a lot I can do in that one.

How's SWGoH been going for you? Any luck with the new Palpatine? I saw that people were disappointed in how much he improved but then started doing better with different teams for him. I managed to get him at 7* which is cool, but I don't really have anything I can do with him yet. I kinda want to try him out on an arena team once I finish farming the Empire chars I need for R2. I kinda need to star Vader some more first though. And I probably need some people which aren't a part of my current farming.
Old 02-13-2018, 02:40 PM   #36
jpublic
Threadslayer

Quote:
How's SWGoH been going for you? Any luck with the new Palpatine? I saw that people were disappointed in how much he improved but then started doing better with different teams for him. I managed to get him at 7* which is cool, but I don't really have anything I can do with him yet. I kinda want to try him out on an arena team once I finish farming the Empire chars I need for R2. I kinda need to star Vader some more first though. And I probably need some people which aren't a part of my current farming.
The new Palp is kind of disappointing. I'm more impressed with the improvements to Vader, to be honest.

I'm almost done farming an okay empire team so I can get 7* R2, but I'm low on Credits, which is irritating.
Old 02-13-2018, 02:56 PM   #37
EWolfmanD
Phantom Thieves

Quote:
The new Palp is kind of disappointing. I'm more impressed with the improvements to Vader, to be honest.

I'm almost done farming an okay empire team so I can get 7* R2, but I'm low on Credits, which is irritating.
Yeah, I would really like to be able to try out Vader. He's been fun in these lower DSTB battles at least.

I think I just got Biggs to 3 or 4 stars, and now I'm going to try to unlock Cad Bane with my GW currency so I can do a higher tier of the credit heist. And then I think I need to just focus on Magmatrooper for my fifth Empire char before going back to Biggs. I would like him to be better for my fleet arena, but I want to make sure I have all my chars for R2 ready. I think I'm going with Palp, Tarkin, TFP, Stormtrooper, and Magmatrooper. Unless by some miracle I manage to get Vader to 7* before then.
Old 02-13-2018, 03:26 PM   #38
jpublic
Threadslayer

Quote:

I think I just got Biggs to 3 or 4 stars, and now I'm going to try to unlock Cad Bane with my GW currency so I can do a higher tier of the credit heist. And then I think I need to just focus on Magmatrooper for my fifth Empire char before going back to Biggs. I would like him to be better for my fleet arena, but I want to make sure I have all my chars for R2 ready. I think I'm going with Palp, Tarkin, TFP, Stormtrooper, and Magmatrooper. Unless by some miracle I manage to get Vader to 7* before then.
I'm only 40 or so shards from 7* my Magmatrooper, he's my last one to go for my team. If I get a change I might raise gear levels too, I'd like them all to be at G8 minimum.

It'll be Zader 7*, Palp 7*, Tarkin 7*, Thrawn 6*, Magma 7*.
Old 02-13-2018, 03:34 PM   #39
EWolfmanD
Phantom Thieves

Quote:
It'll be Zader 7*, Palp 7*, Tarkin 7*, Thrawn 6*, Magma 7*.
That seems pretty strong, but don't you need someone else besides Thrawn to do the last battle to get R2 at 7*?
Old 02-13-2018, 03:52 PM   #40
TheKeck
FIFTY POSTS PER PAGE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorvi View Post
And CoG is now blocked at work, bleh.
I'll be hoping they lift the ban in a week or two like they did at my work!