welcome to the CoG network!
Colony of Gamers

Go Back   Colony of Gamers > News and Features > Gaming News

Old 10-17-2017, 04:40 PM   #1
DoctorFinger
Editor in Chief

EA Cans Star Wars Action Game, Shutters Visceral

EA announced today that they're essentially canceling their in-development Star Wars action title, and moving to close it's developer, Visceral Games. EA frames this as moving the game to another studio, but the message is clear: the game as developed won't be released. Some of the assets and code may be transitioned to a new Star Wars game, but the title Amy Hennig (former Uncharted lead) and Visceral had been working on for at least 3 years is dead.

Not to get hyperbolic, but this feels like a major mile marker for the future of the industry. You can read the firehose of buzzwords in the link above, but EA clearly felt that a single player game wouldn't make the sort of money that would cover it's development costs. A Star Wars game, led by former creative lead on the Uncharted series, is seen as a likely enough loser that they cancel it after at least 3 years of development. And based on everything I've seen, they are almost certainly right.

A lot of space has been devoted in the past week or two to the place loot boxes and other microtransactions have in full priced games. But the cost of developing a AAA game has continued to rise even while the actual cost of those games have remained flat. "Full priced" games cost $50 in 1995. 22 years later, they're only $60, but the cost of everything else associated with making those games has ballooned. Publishers believe the market won't accept a hike in the base price, so the only other way they can go is microtransactions and loot boxes. But those transactions only work in certain sorts of games, and an Uncharted-esque title isn't one of them. Destiny is the model for games going forward: long tail, multiplayer games with transactions built into the DNA. Learn the term 'Games as a Service', because that's the future.

Source - Waypoint
DoctorFinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 04:49 PM   #2
DoctorFinger
Editor in Chief

The days of single-player, narrative-driven games from AAA are over. Everything going forward is Destiny or Battlefield or GTA. First party games - Halo, Gears, Horizon, Uncharted - will be safe for now because their publishers can write them off as loss leaders. But they will either morph into GaaS titles, or fade away.

Indie (or indie-ish) devs will have to pick up the slack. And I'm frankly thrilled about it. So many of these mega titles feel bloated to me, on multiple levels. At this point in my life I'd rather play a great 6-8 hour game, than a bloated 30 hour slog.
Old 10-17-2017, 04:54 PM   #3
DoctorFinger
Editor in Chief

One more thing. I've defended EA a lot over the years from what I felt was unfair criticism. Slamming EA was a competitive sport. But they've been the worst the last few years. They can't do anything right, from the bungling of Andromeda, to vanilla Battlefield games, to this. They haven't been the biggest publisher in ages, but the only thing keeping them afloat now are their licenses (NFL, FIFA, Star Wars). And they're not going to be enough eventually.
Old 10-17-2017, 05:09 PM   #4
MalReynolds
Demon of the North

Send a message via MSN to MalReynolds Send a message via Yahoo to MalReynolds Send a message via Skype™ to MalReynolds
yep after Star Wars Battlefront 2 im probally never buying an EA game again **** EA
MalReynolds#1834

"It's so hard to play Halo 4 and masturbate at the same time."---Squidbot

Currently Playing : Horizon Halo Wars
MalReynolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 05:09 PM   #5
Dukefrukem
Awesomeness

Send a message via AIM to Dukefrukem Send a message via Yahoo to Dukefrukem
Worst gaming news I've heard in a long time. So long Dead Space.
PSN: Dukefrukem XBL: Dukefrukem Steam: Dukefrukem Battlenet: Dukefrukem#1729

Currently Playing

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Arcane View Post
So now we're positing that the deliberate stagnation of technology is a good thing? Hardware makers should just stop making new shit why, exactly? Because you're too cheap to buy a new card every few years?
Dukefrukem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 07:04 PM   #6
Wolvie
AKA JayBob

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorFinger View Post
One more thing. I've defended EA a lot over the years from what I felt was unfair criticism. Slamming EA was a competitive sport. But they've been the worst the last few years. They can't do anything right, from the bungling of Andromeda, to vanilla Battlefield games, to this. They haven't been the biggest publisher in ages, but the only thing keeping them afloat now are their licenses (NFL, FIFA, Star Wars). And they're not going to be enough eventually.
Maybe we'll actually get NFL and NHL games made by other developers in the future if they go belly up.

PSN: Wolvie619

Steam: Wolvie619
Wolvie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 08:58 PM   #7
MagGnome
Déjà vu

Thank goodness for indie games. Outside of Nintendo games, I can't remember the last time I bought a "AAA" title.

Hmm, I suppose it was The Witcher 3 actually, which was fantastic. Otherwise nearly all of my gaming these days is via indies. Tons of variety at a low cost.
MagGnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 09:02 PM   #8
TheKeck
FIFTY POSTS PER PAGE!

Send a message via AIM to TheKeck Send a message via MSN to TheKeck
What about The Last Guardian?
TheKeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 09:56 PM   #9
JayK47
Colonist

I don't buy it that AAA games absolutely need to cost a ton to develop and therefore need to microtransaction us all to death. They choose to make these insanely huge expensive games with crisp HD graphics that require a lot of development time and they also spend a ton promoting them. Not to mention CEO and executive pay. Games like Andromeda were "too big" and would have been better as a more focused game and do not need to have over the top HD graphics. We are at the point now where games almost look too good and trying to outdo one another is costing too much. I play plenty of jRPGs and they keep the detail down and focus on story. They sell nowhere near what AAA games sell and they keep getting by, thankfully. Maybe these developers need to make a choice up front. If they want to dump a ton of resources into a project for 6 years, they need to make sure the game can make money for the long haul. Single player games will just not have to look as good. Focus on story. These AAA single player games are disappearing and it really is too bad. Games like Deus Ex and Mass Effect are the types of games I love. And I would love to see more. And they do not have to have top of the line graphics, 60 frames per second, etc. etc. Deus Ex Mankind Divided looks so much better than Human Revolution, but did it need to?
JayK47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 10:09 PM   #10
Exodus
Vampire Robot Dragon

I hate to say it but I find it increasingly harder to play single player games. I run with a few packs of people who like to play games together and sp doesn't fit into that dynamic.

That doesn't stop me in truth I mean I have shadows of war, divinity original sin 2, cuphead, ruiner and witcher 3 dlc expansions to play still but I love video games. My favourite video game is okami. But it's hard not to want to join up with friends and just game out and have fun.
Old 10-17-2017, 10:18 PM   #11
JayK47
Colonist

I have the opposite problem. It is very difficult to get friends together for multiplayer games. We are still working on Ghost Recon Wildlands.

Luckily for you the industry is moving in your direction.
JayK47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 10:18 PM   #12
MagGnome
Déjà vu

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKeck View Post
What about The Last Guardian?
My boyfriend bought that. He buys more $60 releases than I do, but mostly Japanese titles.
Old 10-17-2017, 11:42 PM   #13
TheKeck
FIFTY POSTS PER PAGE!

Send a message via AIM to TheKeck Send a message via MSN to TheKeck
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagGnome View Post
My boyfriend bought that. He buys more $60 releases than I do, but mostly Japanese titles.
Ah, I see.

Cheater.
TheKeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 06:13 AM   #14
MagGnome
Déjà vu

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKeck View Post
Ah, I see.

Cheater.
You call it cheating, I call it smart.
Old 10-18-2017, 08:10 AM   #15
menage
Praise the sun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorFinger View Post
The days of single-player, narrative-driven games from AAA are over. Everything going forward is Destiny or Battlefield or GTA. First party games - Halo, Gears, Horizon, Uncharted - will be safe for now because their publishers can write them off as loss leaders. But they will either morph into GaaS titles, or fade away.

Indie (or indie-ish) devs will have to pick up the slack. And I'm frankly thrilled about it. So many of these mega titles feel bloated to me, on multiple levels. At this point in my life I'd rather play a great 6-8 hour game, than a bloated 30 hour slog.
I've got the feeling this feeling of dread about SP gaming is going away is exaggerated, and also thrown around for quite a while now. Looking at the games I have played the last year, Nioh, Persona 5, Dishonored 2, Yakuza, the new Southpark, Nier, etc, are all mostly great single player AAA games.

Yeah, Acti and EA seem to think the big bucks is in MP AAA gaming, but lots of companies like Atlus, SE, SEGA, Ubisoft etc seem to think AAA SP gaming is far from over.

PSN: Menage00
Steam: Menage00
Soundcloud
SCREENSHOTS
menage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 09:52 AM   #16
fitbabits
The Cat Whisperer

Ugh. This is stupidly horrible news.

Xbox Live - fitbabits | PSN - fitbabits | Steam - fitbabits | Nintendo - fitbabits

I mean he's so salty, horse[s] come from far away to lick him. - muddi
fitbabits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 02:50 PM   #17
Exodus
Vampire Robot Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagGnome View Post
You call it cheating, I call it smart.
Gold digger!
Old 10-18-2017, 06:30 PM   #18
MagGnome
Déjà vu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exodus View Post
Gold digger!
Hey he plays my games too!
Old 10-18-2017, 06:51 PM   #19
Dav Slinker
stay woke

I bet he does, I bet he does.

Legal Uppers, my blog, including creative writing and travelogues.
Dav Slinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 08:03 PM   #20
MalReynolds
Demon of the North

Send a message via MSN to MalReynolds Send a message via Yahoo to MalReynolds Send a message via Skype™ to MalReynolds
MalReynolds#1834

"It's so hard to play Halo 4 and masturbate at the same time."---Squidbot

Currently Playing : Horizon Halo Wars
MalReynolds is offline   Reply With Quote