welcome to the CoG network!
Colony of Gamers

Go Back   Colony of Gamers > Life Off Colony > PC Hardware & Software

Old 10-13-2017, 02:07 PM   #5721
jpublic
Threadslayer

PM,

I do server/storage/VM infrastructre for a living, so here's my advice:

1) Make sure whatever HW you buy that you can support the RAID controller in the OS you choose. It really sucks to have to go through hoops because you can't make one work with the other. I in general hate SW RAID systems, but some people swear by them.
2) Also look into what RAID levels your RAID solution supports. RAID 5 is good, but if this is very critical info, you may want to look into R5 with a hot spare or R6. Remember, if you're doing a lot of streaming you're looking at sequential data reads, not random IO performance.
3) Be careful on built-in network cards. I don't expect you'll have issues, but I've run into them occasionally in the past where the 1GBit card isn't really doing 1Gbit.

On VMs:

Remember for VMs you have 3 resources:
1) CPU - this is a soft resource. Your CPU spends most of its time idle, so 1 core can turn into a dozen vCPUs easily, depending on your usage. HOWEVER, I've found that Hyperthreading pays *massive* dividends on virtual infrastructures.
2) Hard drive - this is a variable resource. If you use a lot of Thin Provisioned (only use space as needed) you can have a lot more VMs in the same space, just be careful you don't run out of room. Thick Provisioned (reserve space on vmHD creation) performs better and ensures you don't have one rapidly growing machine clobbering others, but you usually end up with a lot of wasted space.
3) Memory - this is a HARD resource. For most purposes, assume that if you allocate 8GB to a running VM, that memory (plus some overhead) is locked down permanently.

With all that in mind:
- buy more memory than you think you'll ever need. You'll want it.
- if you can get it cheap, a Xeon with HT is better than a 'faster' i3/i5 w/out.
- be careful policing your datastores

Last edited by jpublic; 10-13-2017 at 02:16 PM.
jpublic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 03:03 PM   #5722
PathMaster
My life for Aiur!

I think both FreeNAS & UnRaid are software RAID, so a RAID controller should not be a super important part.

I am thinking a Xeon with HT actually.
Old 11-09-2017, 04:18 PM   #5723
Philonious
Colonist

If I were to build a PC around the i7 8700k, should I go with 16 or 32GB of RAM? Definitely go liquid cooling for OC, or would a massive heatsink do it? Just trying to figure out how much this might end up costing me.
Philonious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 12:35 AM   #5724
Dav Slinker
stay woke

I mean, that's gonna depend on what exactly you need this rig to do. 16 gigs is pretty beefy, and that processor is no joke even at stock clock speeds. But if you're building a dream machine and price is no object, nor is the warranty on the cpu, I'd say you go liquid cooling.

Myself I'd just get a beefier aftermarket CPU cooler with a bit more heatsink and fan on it WITH sixteen gigs of ram. Couple that with a good graphics card, like a GTX 1070? You'll be laughing for years at high settings.

Partially I'm just scared of water cooling. Though if you're gonna set up water cooling, you may as well get it going on the GPU as well. In for a penny, in for a pound.

Legal Uppers, my blog, including creative writing and travelogues.
Dav Slinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 12:26 PM   #5725
Philonious
Colonist

I currently have a Corsair liquid cooler, but want to try and quiet my system down a bit. I don't mind noise when gaming, but my system is loud even when working on PowerPoint. But I basically came to the same conclusion as you and went with 16GBs and a Noctua cooler, and I'll be adding a bunch of fans to my case so I can run them a little slower. In case anyone cares:

Intel Core i7-8700K Coffee Lake 6-Core 3.7 GHz (4.7 GHz Turbo) LGA 1151
ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC) LGA 1151
G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4 3200 (PC4 25600)
Noctua NH-D15S 140mm SSO2 D-Type Premium CPU Cooler

Drives (various SSDs/HDDs), Power Supply (Corsair 850 something), Case (Corsair 750D) and GPU (MSI GTX1080) are all holdovers.

I really hope I haven't done anything wrong, I got a little too excited when I saw the i7 8700k in stock at NewEgg.
Old 11-10-2017, 06:48 PM   #5726
MagGnome
Déjà vu

I have a Noctua cooler and I love it. It was easy to install and does a great job. Plus it looks super sweet, although I don't have a window or anything so I rarely see it. My previous build was fairly loud, but my current system is whisper quiet.

I went with 16GB on my current build. 32GB seemed like overkill for gaming. Maybe if you're doing 4K?
MagGnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 10:13 PM   #5727
LiquidRain
Documentarian

If you want something quiet when working on PowerPoint, you want air cooling. Noctua is a go-to, any of their products are good, but you'll pay for that quality. For other coolers, just check any hardware site like Tom's for reviews. Decent coolers abound these days, though a few are stinkers.

For added niceness get Noctua fans, and if it's in the purchase, stick to STRIX or MSI Gaming series graphics cards. Noctua fans are always quiet (but again, pricey) and the few dollaroos you shell out for STRIX or MSI Gaming cards nets you a card that's guaranteed to turn its fans off when idling on the desktop.

For RAM: 4GB is enough for single-app desktop use, such as a machine for browsing and office work. Not pleasant, but enough. 8GB is plenty to do all desktop work. 16GB is All You Need(tm) for games while keeping your desktop/streaming/Discord stuff in the background, and having memory left to burn. 32GB is if you're running virtual machines or have special purpose software like CAD. 64+ is for serious photography or video, and generally by 64 you know if you actually need 64 or not.

Last edited by LiquidRain; 11-10-2017 at 10:17 PM.
LiquidRain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 08:39 AM   #5728
EternalGamer
Colonist

I've found that case matters a lot for quiteness. I have a liquid cooling system, but I think my Fractal R5 with the sound padding on sides makes the biggest difference.
EternalGamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 08:51 AM   #5729
MagGnome
Déjà vu

I have the Fractal R5 as well. It's a great case, and very quiet as you said.
Old 11-11-2017, 03:31 PM   #5730
Darkmatter
Insert Funny Here.

This is an odd post but I didn't want to make a whole thread for it. Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me out or even those brave enough to read it! ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Also the forum is ignoring all formatting so I had to add "-" in the post. Is there anyone here who knows about scripting/coding that could alter a batch script example for MKVToolNix to fit my needs? I couldn't code my way out of a wet paper bag. Basically I have 7 folders, each holding all the episodes for that season of Star Trek TNG. I created a "New Folder" as a temp place to hold the output file. Unfortunately each video has a Russian audio track and an English subtitle track. I have been removing both tracks and saving the new file in the "New Folder" folder but doing this 1 at a time is very time consuming. ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I would like the batch script to go through every file in a folder, remove the Russian audio and English subtitle tracks and save the finished product in the "New Folder" folder that's in that seasons folder with the same name as the source. I'm almost done season 1 so I'll show the full directory for season 2, and season 2 with the new folder. ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- D:\Downloads\TV Shows\Star.trek.TNG.S2.BDrip.1080p --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- D:\Downloads\TV Shows\Star.trek.TNG.S2.BDrip.1080p\New folder ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ This screenshot shows what I have to do when I do it manually. https://ibb.co/et1Rcb The author of MKVTools provided a batch example but my eyes glaze over when I look at it... Edit: OK the forum butchered the formatting so I'm going to put it in a word doc and upload it and link to it. http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php...17591706962207 Thanks! ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Edit: Here is a screenshot of the text formatted as best I can in case it still looks weird to other people. https://ibb.co/g4C9Fw
Quote:
Originally Posted by IIntrude View Post
Hit B to enter FPS 3rd person shooter mode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vandabo View Post
I think my brain just broke reading that...

Last edited by Darkmatter; 11-12-2017 at 03:45 PM. Reason: Forcing formatting with dashes. Hope it works.
Darkmatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 12:33 PM   #5731
Wackman3000
"Wackman!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkmatter View Post
This is an odd post but I didn't want to make a whole thread for it. Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me out or even those brave enough to read it! Also the forum is ignoring all formatting so I had to add smiley faces later in the post. Is there anyone here who knows about scripting/coding that could alter a batch script example for MKVToolNix to fit my needs? I couldn't code my way out of a wet paper bag. Basically I have 7 folders, each holding all the episodes for that season of Star Trek TNG. I created a "New Folder" as a temp place to hold the output file. Unfortunately each video has a Russian audio track and an English subtitle track. I have been removing both tracks and saving the new file in the "New Folder" folder but doing this 1 at a time is very time consuming. I would like the batch script to go through every file in a folder, remove the Russian audio and English subtitle tracks and save the finished product in the "New Folder" folder that's in that seasons folder with the same name as the source. I'm almost done season 1 so I'll show the full directory for season 2, and season 2 with the new folder. --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- D:\Downloads\TV Shows\Star.trek.TNG.S2.BDrip.1080p D:\Downloads\TV Shows\Star.trek.TNG.S2.BDrip.1080p\New folder ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ This screenshot shows what I have to do when I do it manually. https://ibb.co/et1Rcb The author of MKVTools provided a batch example but my eyes glaze over when I look at it... Edit: OK the forum butchered the formatting so I'm going to put it in a word doc and upload it and link to it. http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php...17591706962207 Thanks!
Suggestion, if you want someone to help you, format your post. I can't even bring myself to read that.
Personal attacks start when the other person isn't living up to my expectations of them.
Wackman3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 02:40 PM   #5732
Darkmatter
Insert Funny Here.

I tried to format it. It won't do it. That's why I made a word doc for the code. It ignores "enter" to move something to a new line and just keeps going like a nightmare txt document. Edit: Going to try to format it using Chrome instead of Firefox. Edit: Nope still no formatting with Chrome. Going to get creative.
Quote:

Quote:

Last edited by Darkmatter; 11-12-2017 at 03:19 PM.
Old 11-14-2017, 11:12 AM   #5733
Philonious
Colonist

Mini-update: The Noctua NH-D15S is absurdly large. Anyone use one? I'm trying to figure how many case fans I'll need with this thing: I want to keep everything cool and quiet, but I also don't want to over do it with the fans.
Old 11-14-2017, 02:18 PM   #5734
Dav Slinker
stay woke

I mean, you can start with two fans - one to bring air in, one to pump it out. If temperatures are a problem you can add more pretty simply.

Legal Uppers, my blog, including creative writing and travelogues.
Dav Slinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 06:11 PM   #5735
MagGnome
Déjà vu

I have the NH-D15 and it is quite large. My case (Fractal R5) came with two fans, and I didn't add any additional ones.
Old 11-15-2017, 04:35 PM   #5736
Darkmatter
Insert Funny Here.

You probably would want 2 intake fans at the front and 1 at the back. This is because the power supply also has a smaller output fan at the back and with only 1 intake fan your system will be a negative pressure zone. This isn't ideal because dust can get sucked in from any small seams in the case. You want a positive pressure environment so that dust is repelled and can only come in through the 2 front fans, which you would/should have dust screens over them to catch most of the dust. Just make sure you check them every once and a while and clean them or they'll block any airflow from getting into the case.
Quote:

Quote:
Old 11-15-2017, 06:23 PM   #5737
Philonious
Colonist

Thanks. I was going to go with two front intakes, one back exhaust, but then I saw posts about additional intakes on the bottom of the case, and exhaust on the top. Glad to hear that it would be overkill and that I should be able to keep things simple.
Old 11-15-2017, 07:02 PM   #5738
Darkmatter
Insert Funny Here.

It all depends on how much you plan to OC your system, which makes your case heat up more. You can always add more fans later.
Quote:

Quote:
Old 11-19-2017, 07:17 PM   #5739
Darkmatter
Insert Funny Here.

So I take it I'm on my own regarding the batch code... BTW, anyone run into this? 3 1/4 floppy drive on a 15+ year old XP computer that shows up when you use the BIOS to choose a boot device, but can't be seen in Windows XP, can't be used at a cmd prompt, and can't be seen by Windows XP Setup. I even took over a floppy drive and cable that I KNEW worked and the light flashed on when the computer rebooted but it was still undetectable other then what I said above. I was trying to use it to install SSD drivers so that XP could see the SSD but the only way to do that is with a floppy disk. I even tried a program called Nlite to make a custom version of XP Install that had the drivers in it but the old computer wouldn't accept it. Opening up the system to install my floppy drive gave me my solution though. There was an old HDD that for some reason was left unplugged after the SSD was installed. I plan to install a fresh copy of XP onto the HDD and then go into XP, install the SSD drivers and use Intel's data migration program to copy everything over to the SSD. I think this is how XP ended up on the SSD in the first place. I'm doing all this because this old install of XP has some serious problems. To many to go into. lol EDIT: When will we get text formatting back? :/ OH I should add that the device manager shows that the floppy drive driver is installed and working properly.
Quote:

Quote:

Last edited by Darkmatter; 11-19-2017 at 07:27 PM.
Old 11-19-2017, 10:32 PM   #5740
MagGnome
Déjà vu

Has the price of 4K monitors dropped dramatically this year? I looked into getting a new monitor around 8-12 months ago and I recall 4K options being near or over $1K. I'm looking right now and there are several highly rated options around $350-500 on Amazon.