welcome to the CoG network!
Colony of Gamers

Go Back   Colony of Gamers > News and Features > Gaming News

Old 08-25-2017, 09:21 AM   #1
DoctorFinger
Editor in Chief

Half-Life 2 Ep 3 News!

Former Valve writer Marc Laidlaw has released a new piece of fiction entitled "Epistle 3." The story continued the adventures of all new characters Gertie Fremont, Alex Vaunt and their allies. Laidlaw's site is getting slammed, so you can read the story here.

So what you (apparently) have here is the story for Half-Life 2, Episode 3, but with the serial numbers filed off. Laidlaw left Valve more than a year ago, and even before then it was clear the direction for the Half-Life franchise had changed dramatically. This release is a pretty clear indication that this version of the story would never have seen the light of day in game form. Like many of you, I would rather see the game in complete form, but I'm happy to see some conclusion to the story begun nearly 20 years ago.

While some of Valve's more popular franchises haven't seen new installments in a long time, the company does still make games. Work continues on Dota series (the recently completed International had a $22M+ prize pool, and 2 new heroes were announced) and a spinoff card game called Artifact. But that still leaves games like Portal, Left 4 Dead and Team Fortress without new installments for an extended period.

Sources - RPS
DoctorFinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 09:46 AM   #2
TheKeck
FIFTY POSTS PER PAGE!

Send a message via AIM to TheKeck Send a message via MSN to TheKeck
Interesting! I'll have to check this out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorFinger View Post
While some of Valve's more popular franchises haven't seen new installments in a long time, the company does still make games. Work continues on Dota series (the recently completed International had a $22M+ prize pool, and 2 new heroes were announced) and a spinoff card game called Artifact. But that still leaves games like Portal, Left 4 Dead and Team Fortress without new installments for an extended period.
The thing is, if Valve doesn't want to keep churning out new versions of their games, more power to them. But HL:Ep3 was explicitly promised and Ep2 left off on a giant cliffhanger. Sigh.

Edit: Looks like your link is getting slammed too.
Edit edit: Oh, but it loaded eventually.
TheKeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 10:00 AM   #3
TheKeck
FIFTY POSTS PER PAGE!

Well, that sounds like it could have been cool.
Old 08-25-2017, 10:03 AM   #4
Young Al Capone
Part of the problem

It sounds like it could have been super cool, really a bummer it is pretty much officially never coming.

Maybe in 5 years Valve will allow fans to develop Half Life Mania...
Young Al Capone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 12:53 PM   #5
Narradisall
Cookies

It sounded like a pretty decent episode 3.

The last paragraphs which people speculate is the writers goodbye to valve and gabe is a bit bitter sweat.

Such a shame to never get to finish your work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-26-2017, 07:50 AM   #6
Dukefrukem
Awesomeness

Send a message via AIM to Dukefrukem Send a message via Yahoo to Dukefrukem
I wonder if the episodes didn't sell well and Valve decided it wasn't worth the effort. I can't understand why they wouldn't continue the most critically and fan appreciated franchise ... ever. Especially when you actually had the third episode written.

So frustrating. ...
PSN: Dukefrukem XBL: Dukefrukem Steam: Dukefrukem Battlenet: Dukefrukem#1729

Currently Playing

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Arcane View Post
So now we're positing that the deliberate stagnation of technology is a good thing? Hardware makers should just stop making new shit why, exactly? Because you're too cheap to buy a new card every few years?
Dukefrukem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 07:58 AM   #7
TheKeck
FIFTY POSTS PER PAGE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukefrukem View Post
I wonder if the episodes didn't sell well and Valve decided it wasn't worth the effort. I can't understand why they wouldn't continue the most critically and fan appreciated franchise ... ever. Especially when you actually had the third episode written.

So frustrating. ...
Do you really wonder if they didn't sell well? I can guarantee you they sold well!

Also, writing the episode is the easiest cheapest part of the process, so I can see why having that done didn't necessarily lead to the final product.

But I agree on the so frustrating part.
Old 08-26-2017, 11:59 AM   #8
Wolvie
AKA JayBob

It's too bad Valve is at the fuck-you-money stage of financials. I'm sure needing money would reverse this apathy toward their older IP's. But since they are now at Google/Facebook levels of revenue, they can just sit back and roll out updates to older games and do whatevs until the cows come home. Must be nice.

But TBH, I think they should do right by their fans and sell/farm out the rights to someone who could make the sequels for them. Like Bethesda did with Fallout: New Vegas. Or maybe even like Bungie did when 343 was founded. Just abandoning these IP's and leaving the fans without closure is kinda shitty TBH.

PSN: Wolvie619

Steam: Wolvie619
Wolvie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 12:03 PM   #9
Ink Asylum
The cavalry's here!

Simple: Their cut from selling games on Steam and microtransactions through multiplayer games like TF2 and DoTA2 became easier and more profitable than story-based single-player titles.
Old 08-26-2017, 01:05 PM   #10
danhoo
My brother is Oscar Mike

Oddly, I feel a strange sense of closure.
danhoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 01:53 PM   #11
Dav Slinker
stay woke

Quote:
Originally Posted by danhoo View Post
Oddly, I feel a strange sense of closure.
I agree. The waiting is over. That's not nothing.

Legal Uppers, my blog, including creative writing and travelogues.
Dav Slinker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 03:19 PM   #12
Dukefrukem
Awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolvie View Post
It's too bad Valve is at the fuck-you-money stage of financials. I'm sure needing money would reverse this apathy toward their older IP's. But since they are now at Google/Facebook levels of revenue, they can just sit back and roll out updates to older games and do whatevs until the cows come home. Must be nice.
Not sure if you're just using hyperbole or not but Valve is NOT pulling in $90+ billion a year? Not even close.

Currently Playing

Quote:
So now we're positing that the deliberate stagnation of technology is a good thing? Hardware makers should just stop making new shit why, exactly? Because you're too cheap to buy a new card every few years?
Old 08-26-2017, 06:44 PM   #13
Wolvie
AKA JayBob

Quote:
Not sure if you're just using hyperbole or not but Valve is NOT pulling in $90+ billion a year? Not even close.
I was using the old Biblical era style of maths. As in 40= a lot more than 40. As in I was being very vague on purpose due to not knowing the exact numbers. In this case when I say Google money, it was just a generic "Holy shit balls they got's the monies yo!"

PSN: Wolvie619

Steam: Wolvie619
Wolvie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 07:48 PM   #14
Chaos Machine
Colonist

I think it's cowardice really, they don't want to put out a game that doesn't live up to their reputation even if they built a brand new studio for it which they clearly could afford to do. Imo they should hire the best peeps from the deus ex and dishonored teams and reinvent the modern fps.
Chaos Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 08:35 PM   #15
Ravenlock
Thx for the scarf, Sadie!

...Or maybe they just don't want to make that game, guys. Laidlaw isn't the only one who has left. Most of the people in their company at this point probably know a lot more about DOTA, Counter-Strike and Team Fortress than they know about Half-Life, and maybe spending years making a sequel to somebody else's work just isn't what they want to do.

It sounds from the plot summary like it would have been a good episode, but it too would have ended on a cliffhanger, and then what? Then we wait another decade for the next thing?

This may be for the best.
Listen to me rant on the Immortal Machines PC Gaming Podcast!
I also run Erratic Gamer, and sometimes write about games there.
Ravenlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 01:19 AM   #16
Narradisall
Cookies

I've seen a lot of people turning away from valve in recent years, they no longer do the best sales, release games, and people are bitter.

Personally I don't spend as much on steam as I used to and get better deals elsewhere. Still use steam as my go to platform but valve really seem to be letting things slide a bit.

Old 08-27-2017, 07:52 AM   #17
Dukefrukem
Awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenlock View Post
...Or maybe they just don't want to make that game, guys. Laidlaw isn't the only one who has left. Most of the people in their company at this point probably know a lot more about DOTA, Counter-Strike and Team Fortress than they know about Half-Life, and maybe spending years making a sequel to somebody else's work just isn't what they want to do.

It sounds from the plot summary like it would have been a good episode, but it too would have ended on a cliffhanger, and then what? Then we wait another decade for the next thing?

This may be for the best.
They just decided to not make it after making 2 out of 3 announced episodes? no.

Currently Playing

Quote:
Old 08-27-2017, 08:17 AM   #18
TheKeck
FIFTY POSTS PER PAGE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narradisall View Post
I've seen a lot of people turning away from valve in recent years, they no longer do the best sales, release games, and people are bitter.

Personally I don't spend as much on steam as I used to and get better deals elsewhere. Still use steam as my go to platform but valve really seem to be letting things slide a bit.

But even when you buy the games elsewhere they still activate on Steam 99% of the time.
Quote:
They just decided to not make it after making 2 out of 3 announced episodes? no.
Dude, have you not read all of the articles about what it's like working at Valve?

Yes.
Old 08-27-2017, 11:49 AM   #19
Ravenlock

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKeck View Post
Quote:
Dude, have you not read all of the articles about what it's like working at Valve?

Yes.
We're never getting any more of SIN: Episodes, either. Or the next Advent Rising. Planned game sequels fail to materialize all the time.

It's been 10 years. Ten years with no public confirmation that the game is being worked on or approaching release, ever.

At this point Half-Life 3 or Half-Life 2 Episode 3 or whatever the hell it would be has gone past vaporware into being conspiracy theory - unsubstantiated and comprised entirely of conjecture and speculative data mining.

Might it still show up some day? Sure. Of course. It's a beloved name in an industry that loves to capitalize on beloved names. Valve could pull it out any day and be celebrated, and maybe they'll choose to. [EDIT: And it's certainly possible that they're still trying to figure out how to make it a fully VR title to flagship the Vive, though that will be less and less impressive the longer they wait.] But nobody should be peeking around the corner of every public event anymore thinking it's gonna be the "Oh and one more thing." If the truth is that they don't want to make it (or release whatever work they did do, over the years), and I see no evidence that they do, they just aren't going to until that changes.

Last edited by Ravenlock; 08-27-2017 at 11:59 AM.
Old 08-27-2017, 12:03 PM   #20
Ravenlock

If you prefer, all of that put differently with anonymous quotes from Valve via RPS here, with the original piece they're quoting here. It's all good reading, but doesn't say much we don't already know.