welcome to the CoG network!
Colony of Gamers

Go Back   Colony of Gamers > Life Off Colony > Screen, Page and Song

Old 06-09-2015, 12:58 AM   #1
Lance Uppercut
BELIEVE IT, MOTHERFUCKER

So it's ok for grown men to watch wrestling, right?

I used to watch WWF (starting from Wrestlemania 6, until somewhere in the middle of the highly influential Attitude Era), but gave it up after my family canceled cable for a couple of years. I couldn't get into it since, until recently. I thought I grew out of it.

I watched the previous Wrestlemania to skip forward to Ronda Rousey's cameo, and ended up watching all 3 hours and wondering why I was so entertained by it. I figured I'd try the WWE Network's free month promo. I spent it watching ECW and documentary pieces about the Monday Night Wars, pretty much catching up on what I missed and learning a whole lot about how the business works. It essentially changed the way I looked at wrestling, and I actually like all the behind the scenes stuff. Then I discovered NXT. Fast forward 3 months and I'm now watching episodes of Lucha Underground. I still can't stand watching 3 hours of fluff every Monday and Thursday, but I've been watching the PPVs and try to watch NXT every Wednesday (1 hour of good, solid storytelling). Enzo Amore is a certified G. I'm officially hooked again.

Please tell me there's someone out there who still watches this so I don't feel like a child so much.
bnet: LanceUpprcut#11563
XBox: XBox Shmexbox
Lance Uppercut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 01:08 AM   #2
menage
Praise the sun!

Hey, we play videogames and watch anime over here, you're obviously fine.

In the real world though

PSN: Menage00
Steam: Menage00
Soundcloud
SCREENSHOTS
menage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 01:42 AM   #3
Shai
Colonist

I don't watch wrestling personally, but that's just because I'm not gay like you are (though I am gay - again, like you are - but it is not a wrestling-watching type of gayness).

More to the point, if you do like wrestling and some gay asshole calls you gay because you like it, then you can post this and watch them melt (try to resist pretending you are Dorothy and jut threw water on a witch while you do it though Princess).

If anyone is actually homosexual and offended by my above jokes then I apologize that they were not funny enough for you to give me a pass on them. I assure you that I am a fan of your people, the guy who used to be my best friend turned out to be homosexual and he's still a pretty cool guy when I see him in public and can't manage to hide, and I appreciate all the things you've done for the world like Leonardo da Vinci's stuff, Queer Eye for the Straight Guy, Alan Turing's computer and. . . you know, winning World War II for us.

By the way, my best friend is still that gay guy and was throughout high school. I've had my heaping helping of being gay-bashed as a scrawny ginger kid whose best friend was gay and who was thus gay by association. I've also beaten some gay-bashing bastards heads in, so I consider myself an honorary gay with full butt-sex privileges should I ever choose to use them. . . no, I haven't yet, too scared of chili-dogs and having to reciprocate, but an open door is better than a closed one.

Also, seriously, if you were really offended, I know the struggle is real. Say something here or in a PM and I'll not try to make the funny about the place that is ouchy. I think any subject can be funny if the comic is funny enough, but I also know I'm not a great comic (yet), so this kind of material might not past muster.
Shai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 03:10 AM   #4
Dav Slinker
stay woke

That took a sharp left turn.

Legal Uppers, my blog, including creative writing and travelogues.
Dav Slinker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 03:20 AM   #5
Pigeon
Handsome

I watch TNA Impact. It's been really good for the past 8-9 months. I also watch ROH and NJPW
Originally Posted by MagGnome View Post
I'd rather suck on vagina than drink crappy beer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xerxes View Post
Get the fuck out of here! ME TOO!
Pigeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 07:13 AM   #6
civil_dead
1% Prick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shai View Post
I don't watch wrestling personally, but that's just because I'm not gay like you are (though I am gay - again, like you are - but it is not a wrestling-watching type of gayness).

More to the point, if you do like wrestling and some gay asshole calls you gay because you like it, then you can post this and watch them melt (try to resist pretending you are Dorothy and jut threw water on a witch while you do it though Princess).

If anyone is actually homosexual and offended by my above jokes then I apologize that they were not funny enough for you to give me a pass on them. I assure you that I am a fan of your people, the guy who used to be my best friend turned out to be homosexual and he's still a pretty cool guy when I see him in public and can't manage to hide, and I appreciate all the things you've done for the world like Leonardo da Vinci's stuff, Queer Eye for the Straight Guy, Alan Turing's computer and. . . you know, winning World War II for us.

By the way, my best friend is still that gay guy and was throughout high school. I've had my heaping helping of being gay-bashed as a scrawny ginger kid whose best friend was gay and who was thus gay by association. I've also beaten some gay-bashing bastards heads in, so I consider myself an honorary gay with full butt-sex privileges should I ever choose to use them. . . no, I haven't yet, too scared of chili-dogs and having to reciprocate, but an open door is better than a closed one.

Also, seriously, if you were really offended, I know the struggle is real. Say something here or in a PM and I'll not try to make the funny about the place that is ouchy. I think any subject can be funny if the comic is funny enough, but I also know I'm not a great comic (yet), so this kind of material might not past muster.

- Zeal
civil_dead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 07:52 AM   #7
muddi900
Blasphemous Outlaw Ranger

Schnoogs is back...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffool View Post
I think it's the collective form of the noun, actually.
"What's an anonymous group of assholes called?"
"An Internet."
Quote:
Originally Posted by pronounconnoun View Post
taint = slippery slope

Got it. Thanks.
muddi900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 07:59 AM   #8
Wolvie
AKA JayBob

Eh I still watch some WWE with the wife from time to time. After CM Punk left and Daniel Bryan started having his neck injury problems, the product has suffered and I haven't really cared for it much. Plus the current push of Roman Reigns is annoying.

I will give WWE props for FINALLY pushing Dean Ambrose. That dude is way too talented to be jobbing in the mid card.

PSN: Wolvie619

Steam: Wolvie619
Wolvie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 08:17 AM   #9
Narradisall
Cookies

As long as your not convincing people it's "like really real guys" it's fine.

I've never really been a fan of wrestling or any fighting sports fake or less fake, but I don't think it's anything others should look down on. It's no less silly than many other forms of entertainment out there.
Old 06-09-2015, 08:22 AM   #10
DoctorFinger
Editor in Chief

I got back into wrestling about 4 years ago (Summer of Punk) and have been hooked ever since. But even I have a hard time sitting through 3 hours of Raw (and I don't watch Smackdown). I DVR Raw, then start watching about half way through so I can zoom past the interminable promos, ads and commercials to the good stuff. Which some weeks is about 15 minutes of content.

That said, NXT is the best thing ever, in part because they only have 4 hours of content a month to fill. Most (but not all) of the problems seen on Raw/SD are fixed on NXT.

If you haven't seen it yet, check out Lucha Underground on the El Rey network (a new net founded by Robert Rodriguez that mostly shows old kung fu and grindhouse movies). It's produced in conjunction with AAA (the biggest Mexican federation) and has a style unlike anything seen in the states. High-flying lucha libre wrestling and super over the top characters, but filmed with a cinematic flair.
DoctorFinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 08:46 AM   #11
pomeroy
wtf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shai View Post

Wait, what?
pomeroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 09:24 AM   #12
Gorvi
You're not my supervisor!

It's kinda silly to me, but hell, people like worse things. At least you're not a Brony, those people are creepy.
Old 06-09-2015, 09:52 AM   #13
DoctorFinger
Editor in Chief

When wrestling is bad - as most of last night's Raw was - it can be torture. But when it's good? Nothing like it.

Here's a great one, Sami Zayn vs Adrian Neville for the NXT title from December.

Old 06-09-2015, 11:49 AM   #14
Scaryfaced
King of Candlesticks

I'll just echo the general sentiment that this isn't the place to embarrassed of "childish" interests. I've fallen away from Wrestling in the last few years, mostly because I stopped paying for cable TV, but I've been a fan since I was a child. I still regularly catch NXT clips online and Lucha Underground is everything fun about Saturday afternoon AAA, but with better production and in a language I can actually understand.

Also, any wrestling fan worth their salt needs to watch Botchamania and OSW. Botchamania is a long running series of wrestling botch compilations, including long running jokes, backstage fuck ups, bad interview segments, anything that can go wrong during a wrestling show. The WWE has been trying to kill that one for years. Old School Wrestling reviews is an awesome series of reviews of old Pay Per Views by a group of fun Irishmen. Everything from old ECW events, to Attitude era to the last Wrestlemania. Don't let the long runtime fool you, the shows are well edited and produced. I highly recommend both of them.

Scaryfaced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 01:10 PM   #15
Lance Uppercut
BELIEVE IT, MOTHERFUCKER

Well it's nice to see that there are other man-children watching wrestling Botchamania looks right up my alley, I'll have to check it out more often.

I tried watching Raw last night and I couldn't stand it. I wish there was some kind of recap show that gives me all the pertinent storylines from Raw/Smackdown but without the filler, the product placement, and the poor divas matches (it doesn't have to be poor, does it? NXT is amazing when it comes to womens' wrestling).

And again, Lucha Underground is great. Instead of focusing on "reality" and recreating a live sporting event for TV, it chooses to use its resources to tell a proper story instead. Also, this:

bnet: LanceUpprcut#11563
XBox: XBox Shmexbox
Lance Uppercut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 01:14 PM   #16
DoctorFinger
Editor in Chief

FTR, With Spandex (part of Uproxx) is a great wrestling site that does very good recaps of the major TV shows. Tends heavily towards commentary & analysis rather than straight news, which isn't everyone's cup of tea. Cageside Seats does good work on that front too.
Old 06-09-2015, 01:17 PM   #17
muddi900

I liked the WWE when it didn't suck, so between 1998 and 2005. TNA was promising but fizzled because the people managing it were idiots. I have been told New Japan is great again, but I don't have the time to actively follow it.

Quote:
"An Internet."
Quote:
taint = slippery slope

Got it. Thanks.
Old 06-09-2015, 01:33 PM   #18
DoctorFinger
Editor in Chief

I had the chance to see New Japan's Wrestle Kingdom 9 back in January on PPV, and it was awesome. But it's a tough thing to follow the rest of the year if you don't speak Japanese.
Old 06-09-2015, 08:50 PM   #19
Wolvie
AKA JayBob

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddi900 View Post
I liked the WWE when it didn't suck, so between 1998 and 2005. TNA was promising but fizzled because the people managing it were idiots. I have been told New Japan is great again, but I don't have the time to actively follow it.
Quoted for truth! Although I'd say during the height of CM Punk and Daniel Bryan's runs WWE was just as good as the era you mentioned.

PSN: Wolvie619

Steam: Wolvie619
Wolvie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 09:11 PM   #20
muddi900

No. I admire Punk and Bryan by engaiging fans and turning themselves into stars, but they still had to fight walking tree trunks like John Cena and Batista. During the Attitude Era and Paul Heyman Smackdown years, you had Eddie Gurero, Jericho, the real DX, Edge, Hardy Boys. Mick foley. There were talented guys in all card levels. Now it's so 'safe' it's not fun.

Quote:
"An Internet."
Quote:
taint = slippery slope

Got it. Thanks.