welcome to the CoG network!
Colony of Gamers

Go Back   Colony of Gamers > Gaming the CoG Way > General Gaming

Old 09-13-2017, 10:27 AM   #21
Young Al Capone
Part of the problem

Have been crazy busy, so almost no gaming.

I did start up DQ8 on the 3ds, gonna be sticking with the handheld for now. Looking forward to Metroid this Friday.
Young Al Capone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 10:47 AM   #22
TheKeck
FIFTY POSTS PER PAGE!

Send a message via AIM to TheKeck Send a message via MSN to TheKeck
Dude put a monkey on my kid.
TheKeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 10:51 AM   #23
Gorvi
You're not my supervisor!

I am so damn tired. Me and 4 kids sharing 1 room at my mom's house since we don't have power is getting really, really old. I really hope we get power back today, I want to sleep in my own bed.
Old 09-13-2017, 12:08 PM   #24
jpublic
Threadslayer

Best wishes on your speedy re-electrification, Gorv.

I've been playing GW2, some FFXII, a little Dead Rising 4, and a fun little game called Fall of the Dungeon Guardians.

Fall of the Dungeon Guardians Mini Review

FotGR is a grid-based dungeon crawler in the vein of Legend of Grimrock or if you're thinking more retro, Eye of the Beholder and Dungeon Master. You control a party of 4 as they explore a dungeon and deal with traps and monsters.

Unlike most of the ones I referenced above, there's a bit of a plot in FotDG. You initially create a single character in your group of 4, who acts as your main PC and the leader of the group. You can then choose (or create) the three companions you pick up right off. The only restriction I've found is you have to have a 'tank', two 'damage dealers', and one 'healer' archetype.

Combat in the game takes things a bit different from its inspiration, making it almost MMO-like. Instead of commanding each attack, you designate a target enemy and your crew auto-attacks them. This leaves you free to queue up special moves, fire off instant effects (which become essential), or even maneuver your party as required.

This leads to interesting combats where there's a lot to handle - you've got to make sure your tank is stealing aggro from the damage dealers, you've got to make sure the DDs are maximizing damage without getting too much attention, you have to manage your healer's spell queue to make sure no one dies, and you have to watch the enemy attacks to see which ones you want to interrupt or attempt to dodge. It gets a bit hectic.

The exploration is interesting, if a bit frustrating at times. As a throwback to Dungeon Master, you start each level with no map, until you find a magical scroll that allows you to see your automap. Later, you'll find another one that shows you what you missed. There's puzzle rooms with a chance for good loot, and an ongoing treasure hunt that has you carry items all over the dungeon. In addition, the devs were very careful to make sure the dungeon is very interconnected, with shortcuts and back stairs everywhere.

The plot, while there, is minimal. Your PC has been hired (conned) into becoming a guard in a deep dungeon used to hold 15 of the worst criminals in the kingdom. On your first day there's a mass breakout, and you have to not only get out of the dungeon, but recapture (kill) all the escaped criminals.

Graphics and sounds are fair to good. It's clearly a Unity game, but effort was made to come up with a lot of custom assets.

My only main complaint is that the treasure/gear collection seems to be very much like a MMO or Diablo, where you're constantly playing comparison over apparently minimal gains, that eventually add up to something impressive. I sort of prefer getting big power boosts over miner incremental ones.

All in all, I'm very much enjoying it. It's currently $20US on Steam, and as a fan of the genre I think it's worth it.
Old 09-13-2017, 09:33 PM   #25
Purple Santa
keeper of the day and end

Thanks for the mini-review jp. Sounds interesting, if I were a fan more of the genre I might give it a shot.

I don't see Purple Santa as the retiring type. I see his endgame as more the "...And nobody ever saw him again" type of deal. ~ Dav

Rails? The DAY/END threads don't need no stinking rails, they just meander like a drunk looking for a bench to flop down on~ Gorvi

Hell, 'derail'? This is like calling the surface of the sun 'warmish'. Somewhat lacking in appropriate magnitude~ Jpublic
Purple Santa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 09:34 PM   #26
Purple Santa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Al Capone View Post
Have been crazy busy, so almost no gaming.
Enjoy dating those 4 blonde floozies all at once

I don't see Purple Santa as the retiring type. I see his endgame as more the "...And nobody ever saw him again" type of deal. ~ Dav

Rails? The DAY/END threads don't need no stinking rails, they just meander like a drunk looking for a bench to flop down on~ Gorvi

Hell, 'derail'? This is like calling the surface of the sun 'warmish'. Somewhat lacking in appropriate magnitude~ Jpublic
Old 09-13-2017, 09:49 PM   #27
Spigot
Turn Me

Oooh! Cook, Serve, Delicious 2 is out! I loved the first.
Old 09-14-2017, 10:49 AM   #28
Gorvi
You're not my supervisor!

So the kids are now getting into playing Everybody's Golf multiplayer, and they're getting pretty good at it.
Old 09-14-2017, 11:03 AM   #29
Young Al Capone
Part of the problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Santa View Post
Enjoy dating those 4 blonde floozies all at once
Ha!

And that is really all there is to say about that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spigot View Post
Oooh! Cook, Serve, Delicious 2 is out! I loved the first.
Nice! The first was great, I'll be looking into this one when I get a chance.
Young Al Capone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 12:28 PM   #30
Spigot
Turn Me

Hold off on CSD2 right now. There's some bugs they're squashing & UI issues that should be patched in a few days. They've been up front about it, but it's a little clunky right now.
Old 09-14-2017, 06:29 PM   #31
Purple Santa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Al Capone View Post
Ha!

And that is really all there is to say about that.
Oh damn, you dog

Old 09-14-2017, 10:15 PM   #32
Spigot
Turn Me

Spent some more time in Everybody's Golf today. Unlocked the golf cart and the new course and was doing AMAZING on the front 9 of the new course and then just borked it all in the back 9.

SOB...

Also played some Cook, Serve, Delicious 2 and while it really needs to get the mouse interface working for the menus, the game itself is as hectic and fun as ever. I might try it with a gamepad just to see if it's any easier to navigate though, as my fingers aren't quite as nimble as they used to be with the way the mouse/KB controls are set up.
Old 09-14-2017, 10:31 PM   #33
jpublic
Threadslayer

I couldn't play CSD. Just watching one of my favorite YouTubers play it made me anxious and frustrated.
Old 09-14-2017, 11:19 PM   #34
Pale Ale
Hi There

CSD is New Super Mario Bros of cooking games.

Steam: stalecandy
PSN: Stalecandy9
Pale Ale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 06:34 AM   #35
Purple Santa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spigot View Post
Spent some more time in Everybody's Golf today. Unlocked the golf cart and the new course and was doing AMAZING on the front 9 of the new course and then just borked it all in the back 9.

SOB...
Welcome to the game of golf, virtual or otherwise

Quote:
Originally Posted by spigot
Also played some Cook, Serve, Delicious 2 and while it really needs to get the mouse interface working for the menus, the game itself is as hectic and fun as ever. I might try it with a gamepad just to see if it's any easier to navigate though, as my fingers aren't quite as nimble as they used to be with the way the mouse/KB controls are set up.
You have old man settings for the mouse/kb?

Old 09-15-2017, 12:21 PM   #36
MagGnome
Déjà vu

Happy Birthday Dav! May your day be filled with liquor and beautiful women.
MagGnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 02:38 PM   #37
Dav Slinker
stay woke

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagGnome View Post
Happy Birthday Dav! May your day be filled with liquor and beautiful women.
Well my mom and grandma are coming over so that's a positive for both.

Legal Uppers, my blog, including creative writing and travelogues.
Dav Slinker is offline   Reply With Quote