Colony of Gamers

Colony of Gamers (https://www.colonyofgamers.com/cogforums/index.php)
-   Gaming News (https://www.colonyofgamers.com/cogforums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Shadow of War DLC Detailed (https://www.colonyofgamers.com/cogforums/showthread.php?t=33629)

DoctorFinger 10-25-2017 10:01 AM

Shadow of War DLC Detailed

WB and Monolith have detailed the DLC that will comprise the Shadow of War Season Pass. The four modules of content include two new tribes for the Nemesis system (the Slaughter and Outlaw tribes) as well as two story expansions: the Blade of Galadriel and Desolation of Mordor. The Slaughter Tribe module drops in November, with other content coming in December, February & May. The season pass costs a hefty $40, while the Desolation of Mordor pack will cost $20, and the other pieces will cost $15 individually.

Source - PC Gamer

DoctorFinger 10-25-2017 10:02 AM

That is a nearly exorbitant amount of money for DLC, especially considering that 2 of the modules are just new Orc tribes, and only one includes a new area.

Wolvie 10-25-2017 10:04 AM

Aaaaaand, this game can fuck right off.

TheKeck 10-25-2017 10:20 AM

I never care about DLC anyway. Shrug.

Wolvie 10-25-2017 12:30 PM

So allegedly most of the DLC is for fortresses. Which where the loot boxes come into play. If that's true you're basically paying for the option to give them more money. I'm not sure if I find that idea hilarious or saddening.

civil_dead 10-25-2017 01:18 PM

How soon until the DLC costs more than the root game? Or has it already happened?

This has all been just one big boiling Frogger.

Philonious 10-25-2017 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by civil_dead (Post 1376721)
How soon until the DLC costs more than the root game? Or has it already happened?

World of Warcraft and Destiny to name two, but I’m pretty sure many ‘season passes’ cost (nearly) as much as the games themselves

Wolvie 10-25-2017 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by civil_dead (Post 1376721)

This has all been just one big boiling Frogger.

Soon, very soon.

Stoke 10-26-2017 04:30 PM

I cannot imagine a world where someone could play through all of Shadow of War and still need more.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Philonious (Post 1376726)
World of Warcraft and Destiny to name two, but I’m pretty sure many ‘season passes’ cost (nearly) as much as the games themselves

I'm pretty sure WoW doesn't have DLC.

EDIT: Should clarify I mean non-cosmetic DLC

Dav Slinker 10-26-2017 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stoke (Post 1376794)
I cannot imagine a world where someone could play through all of Shadow of War and still need more.

I'm pretty sure WoW doesn't have DLC.

EDIT: Should clarify I mean non-cosmetic DLC

This is gonna depend heavily on your definition of "DLC" and whether it applies to expansion packs.

Exodus 10-26-2017 06:13 PM

It's a little asinine to include wow it was really obvious the direction he was going.

I think the pricing of season passes is a safe cover if the game flops so if they continue to develop for it but it sells shit they aren't kicked out on their asses and the studio shuttered.

There's consumer whores out there. There's people like me who pick up a season pass when it's on 80% sale which so far has worked out quite well. I mean look witcher 3 complete edition is 25$. That is a fucking steal for anyone who hasn't touched it yet. Deus Ex mankind season pass. 8$. If you're quibbling over this maybe you shouldn't buy video games, or play video games because it sounds like you need a better job.

Stoke 10-26-2017 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dav Slinker (Post 1376799)
This is gonna depend heavily on your definition of "DLC" and whether it applies to expansion packs.

I feel like most gamers have always drawn a line between expansion packs for games and DLC. Maybe I'm wrong.

Dav Slinker 10-26-2017 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stoke (Post 1376803)
I feel like most gamers have always drawn a line between expansion packs for games and DLC. Maybe I'm wrong.

No, you're right, most people call them different things. But what exactly is the difference? I'm pondering this over myself. Scale? Some stuff labeled 'DLC' is pretty big. Option to pre-buy? I'm having trouble establishing a good metric to tell the difference.

Stoke 10-26-2017 07:05 PM

I've always just gone by whether the developer calls it an expansion, but it's mostly scale and price.

Wolvie 10-26-2017 07:28 PM

Path to subverting this silliness:

1) Wait till the GOTY version comes out.

2) Buy it on sale.

BOOM Motherfuckers! Now I have ALL the DLC, and on the cheap. Now the sale will come at a point where it will mean less, and there is a LOT of waiting. But considering how much money you might drop on one game, waiting might be the only option. Because some times upgrading your job aint so easy, and not everybody can't afford that shit. ;)

Also for bonus damage you can buy the game used... but that might help close the studio...

maharahaj 10-27-2017 07:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wolvie (Post 1376810)
Path to subverting this silliness:

1) Wait till the GOTY version comes out.

2) Buy it on sale.

BOOM Motherfuckers! Now I have ALL the DLC, and on the cheap. Now the sale will come at a point where it will mean less, and there is a LOT of waiting. But considering how much money you might drop on one game, waiting might be the only option. Because some times upgrading your job aint so easy, and not everybody can't afford that shit. ;)

Amen my brother. Preach it! (I'm hoping Fallout 4 GOTY gets to $20 or less this holiday season.)

Philonious 10-27-2017 08:51 AM

I mentioned WoW / Destiny because it is the business model that publishers are trying to emulate. The 'games as service' model that means they can potentially get a much larger return on their investment, the problem is that most haven't quite figured out how to do this yet.

I *think* Bethesda and Sony are on the right track with stand alone DLC. New games built using old (and some new) assets (what we used to call sequels). Right now these kinds of things have been rather short, but hopefully they build confidence and go all in. I don't need every new game built on a completely new engine, just touch it up and give me a new story and I'm happy.