Colony of Gamers

Colony of Gamers (https://www.colonyofgamers.com/cogforums/index.php)
-   Gaming News (https://www.colonyofgamers.com/cogforums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   VO Actors Strike Ends as Pubs Strike Deal With Union (https://www.colonyofgamers.com/cogforums/showthread.php?t=33585)

DoctorFinger 09-26-2017 10:18 AM

VO Actors Strike Ends as Pubs Strike Deal With Union

After almost a year on the picket lines, the video game voice actor strike is coming to an end. SAG-AFTRA, the union representing VO performers, and a trade group representing publishers have reached a deal after 340 days of strikes.

The deal gives union members guaranteed bonuses for extra performance sessions and requires publishers to be more transparent about the requirements for jobs, including noting whether scripts include sexual, violent or bigoted content before contracts are signed. However the deal does not include union requests for residual payments based on units sold, or firm restrictions on strenuous work.

The deal is expected to be ratified by a union vote later this week. While the strike had gone on for nearly a year, side deals cut with many publishers limited the impact on big budget games. The one notable casualty: Life is Strange 2 could not use the original voice of Chloe, Ashly Burch, due to the strike.

Source - Engadget.

johnperkins21 09-26-2017 11:23 AM

Leaving out that restriction on strenuous work means the publishers won this by a landslide. You'd think the publishers would have some interest in ensuring they don't ruin the actors' ability to do the work they're hiring them to do. It's good that they struck a deal, but this looks like SAG-AFTRA gave up.

cppcrusader 09-26-2017 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnperkins21 (Post 1375069)
Leaving out that restriction on strenuous work means the publishers won this by a landslide. You'd think the publishers would have some interest in ensuring they don't ruin the actors' ability to do the work they're hiring them to do. It's good that they struck a deal, but this looks like SAG-AFTRA gave up.

Maybe a little, but it sounds more like they determined this was the best deal they were going to get for now and needed to get the performers back to work. While they didn't get firm restrictions on strenuous work they did get an employer commitment to working with SAG-AFTRA on improving the conditions of strenuous work. They did manage to increase their bonuses, though not residual based, and they did get a lot of ridiculously nasty clauses that management wanted thrown out.

pomeroy 09-26-2017 02:36 PM

I didn't even know they were striking.

Dav Slinker 09-26-2017 03:39 PM

Yeah, shocked to have not noticed the absence of the skilled laborers that comprise that part of the industry.

muddi900 09-26-2017 03:51 PM

I believe the strike only applied to some publishers. They did change the actor in Life is Strange.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Mot Wakorb 09-26-2017 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by muddi900 (Post 1375084)
I believe the strike only applied to some publishers. They did change the actor in Life is Strange.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

About twelve total. Also, some people crossed the picket line.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk