Colony of Gamers

Colony of Gamers (https://www.colonyofgamers.com/cogforums/index.php)
-   Gaming News (https://www.colonyofgamers.com/cogforums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Assassins' Creed Origins Trailer (https://www.colonyofgamers.com/cogforums/showthread.php?t=33568)

DoctorFinger 09-14-2017 01:13 PM

Assassins' Creed Origins Trailer

A few thoughts on Assassins' Creed Origins:

- Ancient Egypt is one of the more visually striking settings you could choose for a game.

- The AC games are at their best in dense urban settings. When they used less dense environs (AC3, Black Flag) the parkour platforming suffered. Will they make Pharoaic Egypt dense enough to combat that?

- Ubisoft let the series rest a year before launching Origins. After a number of installments in a row with serious issues, I hope this extra time makes a better game.

- Will they shoehorn in more modern-day missions?

These questions, and more, should be answered when Assassins' Creed Origins launches Oct 27 on PS4, XB1 & PC.

Narradisall 09-14-2017 02:04 PM

This might be a nice refresh for me for this series. Love the period and the setting, the urban sprawl and the reset back into a more ancient history time.

Actually looking forward to an AC game!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pomeroy 09-14-2017 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DoctorFinger (Post 1374572)
- The AC games are at their best in dense urban settings. When they used less dense environs (AC3, Black Flag) the parkour platforming suffered.

What? Black Flag's parkour was just fine.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DoctorFinger
- After a number of installments in a row with serious issues, I hope this extra time makes a better game.

There's only been two games that had "serious issues". 3 and Unity. They were not in a row. And the last game they released, Syndicate, was superb.

I get that people were sick of Assassin's Creed, but come on.

digitalErich 09-14-2017 05:08 PM

I'm excited to play this game, but with Destiny and Odyssey, I probably won't get to this until the holiday break.

Philonious 09-14-2017 05:34 PM

I spent part of the summer replaying the entire series (skipping Liberation and Rogue for time, and not getting to Syndicate yet): Both AC3 (which I had finished) and Unity (which I initially skipped) have their issues, but people are way too hard on them. I really enjoyed my second pass at AC3, Connor isn't Ezio, but he gets stuff done. It also looked nice in 4K. Unity had WAY too much side content, and the main game was short. But gameplay was fun and the setting and presentation were incredible.

I hope they bring back a stronger present day narrative to tie the series together, the series was better when the games had more direct connections between them. If the fact that I replayed seven titles from the series in a row didn't tip you off, this is one of my favorite series ever.

Pale Ale 09-14-2017 07:59 PM

HE SHOT AN ELEPHANT!!!!

YOU BASTARD!!!!

/other than that I'm not really sold.

Ravenlock 09-15-2017 12:22 AM

I really really enjoyed Batman-ing around London with all of Syndicate's toys, so it'll be weird going so far back history- and technology-wise, but I'm still in for the ride. Looking forward to it.

Exodus 09-15-2017 01:25 AM

I'm thinking a lot of play with sand?

MagGnome 09-15-2017 06:28 AM

That's the same day as Mario Odyssey! :eek:

menage 09-15-2017 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DoctorFinger (Post 1374572)
- The AC games are at their best in dense urban settings. When they used less dense environs (AC3, Black Flag) the parkour platforming suffered. Will they make Pharoaic Egypt dense enough to combat that?
[/b] launches Oct 27 on PS4, XB1 & PC.

From what I've gathered they're adding Tomb Raider style tombs for the real stuff, and like said, Black Flag was rad. I'd argue the pure automated parcour in AC never really was fun anyway, too little control and handholding, while looking good doing it of course. Black Flag was my favorite AC next to Brotherhood.

They're also ditching the Batman combat and are adding RPG elements. So I def. want to see hpw much more game it will be than the collect-a-thon it was. But I do think this a 12 deals of xmas for me. Seeing as Mordor, Southpark and maybe even Wolfenstein go first.

And I'm considering a Switch

Spigot 09-18-2017 07:37 AM

Well, I've got my copy preordered. I adored Syndicate but I'm also one of those who was happy that they put the series on the shelf for a year. I've been trying to not get too sucked into the marketing or previews for this one & just hope it's on par with Syndicate or Black Flag. Tomb raiding would be nice though. Always enjoyed the puzzle crypts and such in other games.

Narradisall 09-21-2017 10:30 AM

I'll play it but I can wait and see. I'm glad I've played them a bit behind as it's allowed me to avoid the few clusterfuck launches.

TheKeck 09-21-2017 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Narradisall (Post 1374857)
I'll play it but I can wait and see.

Sounds like you'll PROBABLY play it after waiting and seeing... right? :p

Spigot 09-21-2017 11:22 AM

The only one I found that had a really botched launch was Unity. That thing was so bad I got a free copy of Far Cry 4 out of it!

Cactaur 09-21-2017 12:34 PM

Unity also had very poor combat controls.

Spigot 09-21-2017 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cactaur (Post 1374863)
Unity also had very poor combat controls.

And a lot of other issues. It was a gorgeous recreation of Paris, but it was so janky at launch I've never gone back to really work at it. It's the only one of the mainline AC's that I've not finished.

Narradisall 09-22-2017 12:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spigot (Post 1374868)
And a lot of other issues. It was a gorgeous recreation of Paris, but it was so janky at launch I've never gone back to really work at it. It's the only one of the mainline AC's that I've not finished.

I still had to tweak it a bit to get it running properly when I bought it a couple of years back.

Story was forgettable, shame as the main missions and the city were amazing. Such a wasted potential game.

Spigot 09-22-2017 04:56 AM

Oh yeah. The story (from what I played) was pretty dull too. To be honest, aside from issues with the co-op being laggy as hell, I never had a lot of technical issues with the game but neither the character or the story grabbed me. I mean, I even enjoyed AC3.

Unity was pretty much the height of hubris for the series. Glommed on coop, 18 different premium and in-game currencies and chests, technical issues out the whazoo & a boring story and protagonist to boot. And they had two games come out at once to boot that year.

Upside was that they seemed to learn their lesson from it and we got the excellent Syndicate in return. Here's to hoping Origina continues the upward trend.

Ravenlock 09-22-2017 08:56 AM

For all its other problems I actually really liked Unity's combat. It was the first one since the original AC1 where countering didn't just feel like a matter of "did I hit the auto-win button?" and involved some timing and positioning. I think Syndicate did it better, but Unity was a step in the right direction. And the co-op was actually a lot of fun if you managed to get someone to play it with you. And visually, I still think Paris is their best-designed environment. It was fucking stunning.

That game deserved to launch in much better condition. There was a lot to like in there, if it hadn't been such a damn mess.

Purple Santa 09-22-2017 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spigot (Post 1374868)

If you can finish that fake Thief game, you can return to Unity. Unity was boring, but it is no Thief 2014.