Colony of Gamers

Colony of Gamers (https://www.colonyofgamers.com/cogforums/index.php)
-   Gaming News (https://www.colonyofgamers.com/cogforums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Cardboard is cool again! (https://www.colonyofgamers.com/cogforums/showthread.php?t=33739)

Mot Wakorb 01-17-2018 04:58 PM

Cardboard is cool again!

If you haven't yet seen it, Nintendo had a short announcement around 4:00 PM Central time, introducing everyone to the "Nintendo Labo" - a pair of cardboard kits that integrate software, the Switch/Joy-Cons and "Toy-Con", Nintendo's term for their new cardboard kits for gaming. Build your cardboard item, plug in your switch, plug in the controllers where it asks and game away! Nintendo did make their announcement that this was for "Kids and the kids at heart" - so it may not be aimed at everyone, but it certainly is a fun idea for their target demographic.

The "Variety Kit" goes for $69.99 while the "Robot Kit" goes for $79.99, debuting on 4/20/18 (snicker). It includes the cardboard cutouts necessary as well as the software to play.

Here's Nintendo's reveal video:

As a dad with a 5 year old son with his own Switch - day one purchase. What do you think? Overpriced cardboard or nifty idea?

Source: http://labo.nintendo.com

TheKeck 01-17-2018 05:03 PM

Overpriced cardboard. :p

rein 01-17-2018 05:16 PM

It will be both cool and overpriced. I have no doubt it will sell out.

MagGnome 01-17-2018 05:16 PM

I was just coming here to post about it. It's going to take me a bit to wrap my head around this.

I don't know why some people are already saying it's overpriced when we don't even know what all is included. Edit - Meaning how robust the software will be.

It'll probably be gobbled up by scalpers and never seen on store shelves anyway, just like most of the amiibo and both "Classic" systems and a plethora of other Nintendo merchandise.

Mot Wakorb 01-17-2018 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MagGnome (Post 1380959)
It'll probably be gobbled up by scalpers and never seen on store shelves anyway, just like most of the amiibo and both "Classic" systems and a plethora of other Nintendo merchandise.

Like the SNES classic you saw on the shelf and didn't buy? :p

MagGnome 01-17-2018 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mot Wakorb (Post 1380960)
Like the SNES classic you saw on the shelf and didn't buy? :p

Touche. :p

To be fair I'm trying to stick to a fairly strict gaming budget, and that is the one and only time I have ever seen the SNES classic in a store. I have never laid eyes on an NES classic. Still, part of me wishes I had bought one.

Mot Wakorb 01-17-2018 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MagGnome (Post 1380962)
Touche. :p

To be fair I'm trying to stick to a fairly strict gaming budget, and that is the one and only time I have ever seen the SNES classic in a store. I have never laid eyes on an NES classic. Still, part of me wishes I had bought one.

Sure. Honestly, owning both, you're better off owning a Raspberry Pi. More games, more options for systems, cheaper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ink Asylum 01-17-2018 07:38 PM

I think it looks great and I don't know why everyone's flipping out over the price. Each kit includes a game and what's essentially a peripheral. Why wouldn't it cost over $50? I'll wait to see how robust the games are before I decide if it's a rip off or not.

All I know is that when watching the video I felt excited at the possibilities and cleverness of it all and the first thing I did was send it to my sister to tell her that I'm getting it for my nephew for his 7th birthday. We're going to be on a family vacation and I'm super psyched to help him build the robot suit and watch him stomp around and punch down virtual buildings.

civil_dead 01-17-2018 07:40 PM

Holy Keck. That is brilliant. Just brilliant. It might be that I'm operating on 1.5 hours of sleep, but that is probably the most innovative thing I've ever seen from a video game company. My god, the possibilities. Think if they open it up to the community, what we could see? Homegrown games that are well beyond the norm.

Yowza.

Dav Slinker 01-17-2018 08:02 PM

Hmm. Normally I'd say it's not likely they'll open up creation to the community, but then Mario maker proved successful.

Myself I was preoccupied with the cardboard piano. I just couldn't help but wonder how terrible the action on those keys must be.

MagGnome 01-17-2018 08:09 PM

I can see a lot of possibilities with this platform if it takes off. Nintendo could release new kits down the road for $10-20+ in stores, with the accompanying game being downloaded off the eShop. The possibilities are nearly endless.

Young Al Capone 01-17-2018 08:16 PM

Yeah, that is super fucking cool!

Zero 01-17-2018 09:33 PM

I wasn't sold on this until my daughter flipped out over the trailer and now it's preordered.

\_(ツ)_/

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Ravenlock 01-17-2018 11:42 PM

It's also worth noting that they're going to offer the schematics for the cardboard peripherals for free. So if you have the means to make them or need a replacement part, you're only out the cost of materials if you buy the software.

It's a brilliantly weird idea, and who knows what they'll come up with for it going forward. And when you're done with it, it's recyclable rather than taking up room in your garage.

MagGnome 01-17-2018 11:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zero (Post 1380978)
I wasn't sold on this until my daughter flipped out over the trailer and now it's preordered.

\_(ツ)_/

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Oh come on, is there anything made by Nintendo that you don't own? :p

Zero 01-18-2018 08:44 AM

Yes.

I can't think of anything off-hand but yes. I mean... there has to be.

Gorvi 01-18-2018 09:11 AM

That's kinda neat, I think my kids might actually like it. Of course being cardboard, I can see them tearing way too easily, I hope getting replacements are easy enough. I doubt they're going to be priced well, though, which is going to be it's biggest downfall.

MagGnome 01-18-2018 09:18 AM

Edit - Gorvi, the prices have already been announced. The "variety kit" which features 5 sets is $70 and the "robot kit" is $80.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zero (Post 1380992)
Yes.

I can't think of anything off-hand but yes. I mean... there has to be.

Sure, we'll go with that. ;)

I was disappointed to see that Amazon isn't doing the preorder discount on these. Then again they stopped giving the discount for amiibo as well awhile back. I preordered both kits for now but may cancel one or both as the release gets closer.

Worldcrafter 01-18-2018 01:47 PM

I absolutely love it. My son is a little too young to really enjoy this, but I'm definitely going to squirrel one away for later. Can you imagine having a toy like this as a kid? That you get to build yourself? I would have lost my mind.

The variety kit seems like it explores different ideas and mainly has things to tinker with. Hands on reports say the piano takes a couple hours to build and works really well. You can change the pitch with a slider and the voice of the piano with a knob (all driven by the Joy-Con's IR camera). The software apparently explains how the mechanisms and software work together.

I think the robot kit is more expensive because it's a complete game:
https://kotaku.com/that-nintendo-lab...iar-1822176412

Purple Santa 01-19-2018 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MagGnome (Post 1380994)
I was disappointed to see that Amazon isn't doing the preorder discount on these. Then again they stopped giving the discount for amiibo as well awhile back. I preordered both kits for now but may cancel one or both as the release gets closer.

I just pre-ordered both also. I wasn't sure if I needed both, but i'll look at it again at a later date to decide. After reading through the posts, I am curious enough to at least pre-order them. I didn't think Amazon would still have them but I looked anyway. Since they were there, why not. Enough people think they will be something, I'm jumping on the bandwagon, the follower I am :p