Colony of Gamers

Colony of Gamers (https://www.colonyofgamers.com/cogforums/index.php)
-   Gaming News (https://www.colonyofgamers.com/cogforums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Voice of Batman Says WB Not Making More Arkham Games (https://www.colonyofgamers.com/cogforums/showthread.php?t=33559)

DoctorFinger 09-11-2017 07:10 AM

Voice of Batman Says WB Not Making More Arkham Games

According to Batman himself, Warner Bros may be done creating new games in the Arkham franchise.

While speaking at Wizard World Nashville, Kevin Conroy said that the publisher has put an end to the franchise.
Quote:

"You know, I can’t believe that they’re not going to do another one, but they’re not. Isn’t that amazing? It's… they made literally billions of dollars on those games. But, no, there's no plan to do another one. Sorry."
This can be interpreted a couple of different ways. It's possible the series will continue with someone other than Conroy voicing the Dark Knight (I'd rate that as unlikely). Warner Bros could also continue making mew Batman titles, but with a different direction; new art style, new storyline, new voice actors, etc. Or (and this is the one I'm banking on) developer Rocksteady may be expanding the scope of their next game beyond Gotham City. Between the Arrowverse TV shows and the DC Cinematic Universe, there are a lot more DC properties in the public eye now than there were eight years ago when Batman Arkham Asylum first hit stores. Maybe a full fledged Justice League game is in the works? For the record, Rocksteady says they're working on a new game, but won't say anything about it.

So while this Batman may be dead, I don't think the cape will stay in storage for too long.

Sources - Batman News; PC Gamer

johnperkins21 09-11-2017 07:58 AM

It's unlikely they give up on a successful franchise that quickly, but I honestly don't know how well the last couple of games sold.

Looking at the Wiki entry for the series, there have been 9 games, 8 in the last 6 years. I didn't realize there were that many games. Maybe they are taking a break from the series for a bit. Probably not a bad idea to work on something else for a few years then maybe come back to it after giving people some time to miss the series.

DoctorFinger 09-11-2017 09:00 AM

There are 4 traditional games in the Arkham series; 3 by Rocksteady, one by another studio. The rest are remakes, ports, mobile apps & VR adaptations. They all required effort, but they're not on the same level as the 4 full titles.

And all of the games sold huge numbers. In theory Rocksteady could be moving on to develop their own IP, but they're a wholly owned subsidiary of WB, so that may be unlikely.

muddi900 09-11-2017 09:29 AM

I am guessing after the Technical Disaster that Arkham Knight was, I doubt anyone would want to work on that. Even if it didn't always crash my Xbox regularly, I am not buying another Rocksteady game after the Batmobile crap.

WB would probably make another Batman series, and incorporate loot boxes into it.

Philonious 09-11-2017 11:09 AM

I would be happy if they decided to continue the series, though if Rocksteady is not on board I hope that they find a good developer. I actually thought that WB Montreal did a fine job with Origins.

I didn't run into any issues with Arkham Knight on PS4 or during my brief experience on PC (though I wasn't anal about framerates back in the day).

Exodus 09-11-2017 03:08 PM

They need to work on a new IP so yeah not seeing sandbox with riddler puzzles all over the place would be refreshing.

Honestly I wish they got a hold of the sleeping dogs IP.

Wackman3000 09-11-2017 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Exodus (Post 1374490)
Honestly I wish they got a hold of the sleeping dogs IP.

That game definitely needs a sequel. It did so many things right.

Out of all the GTA clones out there, I thought Sleeping Dogs did it best.

Granted it had more emphasis on hand to hand combat than the gunplay, but I'd still group them in the same genre.

Exodus 09-11-2017 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wackman3000 (Post 1374493)
That game definitely needs a sequel. It did so many things right.

Out of all the GTA clones out there, I thought Sleeping Dogs did it best.

Granted it had more emphasis on hand to hand combat than the gunplay, but I'd still group them in the same genre.

There are just not enough kung fu movie games.

Dukefrukem 09-13-2017 06:11 PM

Weren't there already reports they were working on a Superman game?

Narradisall 09-14-2017 02:07 PM

I've enjoyed the series but I'd be happy to see them work on something new. Hell a new superhero game might at least give them a new challenge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dukefrukem 10-01-2017 07:41 AM

Yup..

https://twitter.com/GazDeaves/status...elated-a154204

TheKeck 10-01-2017 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dukefrukem (Post 1375347)

Ninja Turtles?

Half-Life 3?