Colony of Gamers

Colony of Gamers (https://www.colonyofgamers.com/cogforums/index.php)
-   Gaming News (https://www.colonyofgamers.com/cogforums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Hellblade Launch Trailer (https://www.colonyofgamers.com/cogforums/showthread.php?t=33509)

DoctorFinger 07-28-2017 06:56 AM

Hellblade Launch Trailer

In a summer packed with tons of significant releases, this one has me really intrigued. Developer Ninja Theory a history of making interesting games, and Hellblade looks like it fits that descriptor.

Hellblade launches next week on PS4 & PC.

Young Al Capone 07-28-2017 07:44 AM

Holy shit that was a cool trailer. I just went from knowing nothing to super interested.

Philonious 07-28-2017 10:20 AM

Looks neat, but from the price (and their history) I expect it to be short.

Exodus 07-28-2017 12:49 PM

I know I'll be skipping cut scenes on this one. The self vs self thing can get wearing as much as seeing batman's parents dying flash back sequence in a rocksteady game but I get the feeling this is a dark/demon's souls survivalish type game but with DmC/Batman AA combat.

I look forward to it.

Pale Ale 07-28-2017 02:47 PM

This is the most beautiful swan song I have ever seen.

Philonious 07-28-2017 11:08 PM

Will it be their last game?

Exodus 07-29-2017 05:51 AM

Nm i take it back. You get some sort of slow time ability.

evilgoodwin 07-30-2017 06:06 AM

I'm just waiting for the opposite of Grimdark at this point.

Also, what the hell is the opposite of Grimdark?

TheKeck 07-30-2017 08:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by evilgoodwin (Post 1371954)

Unicorns and rainbows?

Exodus 07-30-2017 01:57 PM

Quote:

https://i5.walmartimages.com/asr/aed...4b144b6fa.jpeg

Grifter 07-31-2017 01:08 AM

Quote:

... ...The 80s?

evilgoodwin 07-31-2017 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grifter (Post 1372003)
... ...The 80s?

I do love me some 80s...

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Exodus 09-04-2017 07:42 AM

Played this for a little bit. It's schizo inducing. Visually stunning. Appropriately priced. The technique they used in the illusion section is quite good. But this is a game that I feel will constantly go through hey you're going crazy dramatic moment over and over again. Like going through any batman game that goes through a flashback of his parents dying or max payne where you have to go through the death of his family sequence. Okay, we get it.

The great? The audio. The audio cues are some of the best I've experienced. An attack coming from behind you is warned by a whisper from behind that can be trusted so much that you can hit the parry in time with it to counter an attack.

menage 09-04-2017 09:35 AM

I didn't really give it enough time yet because of Uncharted LL, but it does look stunning. Especially the model for Senua.

Not sure about the puzzles though, she walks so slow it can become tedious. I'm enjoying it more when its a walking sim.

Young Al Capone 09-04-2017 10:31 PM

I finished this up a few days ago, liked it. The combat was more frustrating than anything for me, but the presentation, story and themes kept me interested throughout.

Agree on Senua's character model, it is amazingly detailed. The sound design was some of the best I have heard as well, wearing a pair of headphones the voices were a pretty unique experience/idea that was executed amazingly.

Grifter 09-04-2017 10:53 PM

This was one of my most anticipated games of the year but I'm having a lot of trouble getting into it. Maybe it's because I haven't had a lot of time to play so I've been going at it in little chunks at a time. I'll probably set it aside until I can devote an entire weekend to it in order to finish it in a couple sittings.

Young Al Capone 09-05-2017 02:14 PM

BIG time spoiler ahead, do not read until you have finished the game!

Just learned this from that awesome twitter thread Spigs posted and it added a whole new dimension to the game.

Apparently there is no permadeath, but the game tells you that there is and presents you with these frustrating scenarios and deaths to ramp up tension and further simulate mental distress.

I thought it worked brilliantly, and the more I learn about the game the more I appreciate it. The only warning I would give anyone interested in the game is to know the game is a narrative game and not an action game, and the game attempts to simulate psychosis which is most often a less than pleasant experience.

Exodus 09-05-2017 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grifter (Post 1374273)
This was one of my most anticipated games of the year but I'm having a lot of trouble getting into it. Maybe it's because I haven't had a lot of time to play so I've been going at it in little chunks at a time. I'll probably set it aside until I can devote an entire weekend to it in order to finish it in a couple sittings.

I actually haven't picked it up again since I completed the one branch. Honestly I don't think it's a gameplay type of game. More of a movie experience with some bits where you do puzzle stuff and fight things. Which kind of sucks because I like DmC and they are obviously capable of gameplay.

I will dub this genre they've created, the deviantart of vidya games.